Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Sorry, I know probably been hashed out before but things change quickly.

Long story short, I just came from Android a week ago and loving the new iPhone and apps. Really cool stuff. I use mostly for work and am looking for the best email program or is it just the Mail app already on phone?

With android there were several that stood out and I also used the gmail and inbox apps. Just looking for the best apps to try out after searching the web and doing some reading.

Thanks.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I use Gmail, the official app from Google. I prefer the stock Mail app, but I have 2 email addresses and I hate how the stock mail app tries to decide which to use for new emails. I always forget and send from the wrong one.

Lawzen

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2017
I personally switched to Spark. I have 3 e-mail accounts and I like how I can easily have new messages for all of them in 1 inbox view.

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Thanks for replies so far. I'll check out newton. I'm just now looking at Airmail too.

The native mail app is good and I like how it looks but I hate the fact I can't attach a file from the app. Evidently you have to go to the file and try and email from there.

Outlook app has also gotten some good reviews.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Thanks for replies so far. I'll check out newton. I'm just now looking at Airmail too.

The native mail app is good and I like how it looks but I hate the fact I can't attach a file from the app. Evidently you have to go to the file and try and email from there.

Outlook app has also gotten some good reviews.
I personally use Spark.

You can attach files within the stock app.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I use Gmail, the official app from Google. I prefer the stock Mail app, but I have 2 email addresses and I hate how the stock mail app tries to decide which to use for new emails. I always forget and send from the wrong one.

You can set the default account for Mail in the System Settings, can't you?

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
I personally use Spark.

You can attach files within the stock app.

Don't you have to leave the app to attach the file though? I didn't see a paper clip icon to go search your files like google drive etc and attach. I had to go to drive, then the file, then attach from there.
[doublepost=1493628601][/doublepost]Can you snooze or schedule an email for later in the stock app?

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Don't you have to leave the app to attach the file though? I didn't fee a paper clip icon to go search your files like google drive etc and attach. I had to go to drive, then the file, then attach from there.
[doublepost=1493628601][/doublepost]Can you snooze or schedule an email for later in the stock app?

Best options on iOS are:
- Airmail
- Spark
- Email by Easylido

Outlook is also nice but less secure I think although you could also argue about that for the above when you put on push notifications for those as well.
Apple's own e-mail app indeed doesn't offer snooze and the workaround for attaching files in painfull on an iPhone but available (on an iPad the paperclip does show up instantly).

See also the overview I created for a comparison between all major iOS e-mail apps and their main features a while ago and which is still pretty much up to date. Definitely also take a look in this other e-mail app topic.

I've tried them all. I currently love and use Email by Easylido. Is it perfect? Definitely not. Airmail and Spark have more advanced search options for example and Spark can also attach multiple files in one go from cloud storage location (if in the same folder). However I love the fact that attachments show above an e-mail message instead of below it so therefore Email by Easylido is my to go app. I saw the latest App Store review and I don't have those issues and I also use Gmail in the app on both iPad mini2, iPhone SE all on the latest iOS version. They are pretty new to the party but have added loads of features in the recent months.

Last edited:

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Give the stock Mail app a thorough and extensive trial. No one single client will have everything you want and you'll save hours finding out that Mail can probably do everything you need it to do. I've come back to Mail after looking at all the other gimmicky stuff on offer and I'm wondering why I ever left. Seriouisly, find out what Mail can NOT do that you really need and make certain the client you're considering CAN do it and isn't going to leave you in deficit of other functionality. It's like chasing a raindbow.

NB. There are also plenty of third party extensions you could consider if you really need the extra functionality of notes, snoozes, reminders etc I'm currently trying out MailTags.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmgilliam18

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Don't you have to leave the app to attach the file though? I didn't fee a paper clip icon to go search your files like google drive etc and attach. I had to go to drive, then the file, then attach from there.

In the body of the email hold down with your finger, a menu list will come up and one of the options is add attachment.

I've tried several email apps but always keep coming back to the stock mail app, it's the simplest and it works well for my needs. But my favorites outside of the mail app were spark and outlook.

Reactions: willmtaylor

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
@ bigjnyc Sorry, this is off topic, but I just found your footnote really amusing and I'm going to be thinking the same in future and laughing:

'Whenever I go to delete an app on my iPhone, I like to pretend the shaking icons are all screaming loudly in panic over who's getting axed.'

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Best options on iOS are:
- Airmail
- Spark
- Email by Easylido

Outlook is also nice but less secure I think although you could also argue about that for the above when you put on push notifications for those as well.
Apple's own e-mail app indeed doesn't offer snooze and the workaround for attaching files in painfull on an iPhone but available (on an iPad the paperclip does show up instantly).

See also the overview I created for a comparison between all major iOS e-mail apps and their main features a while ago and which is still pretty much up to date. Definitely also take a look in this other e-mail app topic.

I've tried them all. I currently love and use Email by Easylido. Is it perfect? Definitely not. Airmail and Spark have more advanced search options for example and Spark can also attach multiple files in one go from cloud storage location (if in the same folder). However I love the fact that attachments show above an e-mail message instead of below it so therefore Email by Easylido is my to go app. I saw the latest App Store review and I don't have those issues and I also use Gmail in the app on both iPad mini2, iPhone SE all on the latest iOS version. They are pretty new to the party but have added loads of features in the recent months.

I had used Easylido on android and it was maybe one of the best over there even though new. I had heard it had been here and was the top one here but maybe that was mailbox. When I got in the App Store and read reviews it was largely unmentioned so I didn't try here. I should give it a go.
[doublepost=1493642240][/doublepost]
In the body of the email hold down with your finger, a menu list will come up and one of the options is add attachment.

I've tried several email apps but always keep coming back to the stock mail app, it's the simplest and it works well for my needs. But my favorites outside of the mail app were spark and outlook.

Cool. Thanks for tip. Didn't know that. I like the look of mail but attachments were driving me mad. I send a lot.

Hopefully they will add snoozing feature in future since all the other apps do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.