Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hendrik84

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
I'm not one usually fooled by scam but I'm wondering how "they" send this from apple@apple.com? This is the email I just got:

"Dear Apple Customer,

We are sorry to inform you that your iTunes account will expire within 72 hours .
To avoid this a simple verification is required.Please click below :
Verification.

This is an automatic message.Please do not respond.If you need help please visit Apple Support.

With respect ,
Apple Customer Support.
© Copyright Apple 2014"

This address for the Verification link is http://roat.rgot ups.ru/forces/xumed.htm without the gap.

Now I haven't clicked that, nor do I intend to. But I wanted to get more info from you guys, cause it seems to be a legit email address?

What say ye?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Now I haven't clicked that, nor do I intend to. But I wanted to get more info from you guys, cause it seems to be a legit email address?

You set your 'from' address in your email client. You can (generally) set it to whatever you want. So can scammers.

A.

mannyo1221

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Blandford, UK.
We have seen a few of these at work, and several other pretending to be receipts for iTunes purchases, or unauthorised account activity. All these emails supposedly originated from ????@apple.com, but a quick look at the email headers shows otherwise.

They are all attempts to get personal info from you, such as bank details, credit/debit card details, date of birth etc. or even install malware on your laptop/desktop.

Never click on the links, or open attachments.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This address for the Verification link is http://roat.rgot ups.ru/forces/xumed.htm without the gap.
So it has a non apple link in the email body and you're wondering about the authenticity? It's a phishing attempt pure and simple.

Even when I get valid emails from apple/banks/etc, I never click on the link but log right into my account and/or call them.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
This is a scam be careful! i have seen these. It's best to change your e-mail to something other than your name and tell no one the new e-mail.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I'm not one usually fooled by scam but I'm wondering how "they" send this from apple@apple.com? This is the email I just got:

"Dear Apple Customer,

We are sorry to inform you that your iTunes account will expire within 72 hours .
To avoid this a simple verification is required.Please click below :
Verification.

This is an automatic message.Please do not respond.If you need help please visit Apple Support.

With respect ,
Apple Customer Support.
© Copyright Apple 2014"

What say ye?

iTunes accounts don't expire, especially in 72 hours.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Email from apple@apple.com asking for verification to avoid expiration?

Good example of things to look out for:

Would apple have such a policy
Would Apple need to use email to announce it
Would Apple use such a lame address as apple@apple
Would Apple use a russian (.ru) domain
Would Apple not use their own servers (see headers)
Would Apple not use a U.S. IP address (see headers)
Would Apple bounce through so many servers (see headers)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It is possible to spoof an email address, and that is probably what the scammers are doing here.

It's not just "possible" as in "highly sophisticated hackers can do it". It's very easy. For example, in Mail on MacOS X, open any email, then in the "View" menu, "Message" submenu, choose "Raw Source". What you see is exactly what someone has sent to an email server, and you see a "From:" field that just needs changing to "From: Apple <apple@apple.com>". That's all.

Of course if that email came from Apple, it would not say "Dear Apple Customer", but "Dear Hendrik" (thread starter). And .ru is somewhere in Russia :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This is a scam be careful! i have seen these. It's best to change your e-mail to something other than your name and tell no one the new e-mail.

Why would he change his email address? He obviously has a brain, so these scammers don't have much of a chance.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Why would he change his email address? He obviously has a brain, so these scammers don't have much of a chance.

Perhaps you have never really had this happen to you. I would recommend a new e-mail that no one know's about to try and help avoid this a second time. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.