Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlreif

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2003
Vancouver
That's good. That justifies the stuff it's lacking then. Except, of course, if the iPhone's $499 price turns out not to require a contract as pricey as the Prada contract. In which case, you're still paying for that Prada after all...

The question (which I don't think we can answer yet) is whether the iPhone's cost is REALLY $499, or $499 plus a monthly amount that inflates the AT&T plan. (We do know you're committed to staying an AT&T customer for a time, we just don't know the costs.)

The key here is "in major markets." Coverage is still very spotty for 3G in the US. Thus, it makes sense NOT to make the iPhone more expensive (and power-hungry?) by adding 3D when much of the time people can't use it. WiFi (which most other phones lack) is actually a pretty good trade--far superior, when you're at a hot spot.

3G will come, but it's hard to argue with the logic of leaving it out for the US launch.

http://www.cingular.com/coverageviewer/

bah, i disagree, cingulars 3g network reaches 100 million americans... and the markets its in tend to be wealthier, younger, more prgressive, and more tech savy parts of the country... come on, more people in california, new york, seattle, chicago, etc... will be willing to spend this kind of money on a phone than in the heartland... there are exceptions of course, but iphones will be far more common initially in the same places where ipods were seen more commonly in the forst couple years

MacbookSwitcher

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2007
what are the chances that when it ships it will be 8 or 16 GB capacity? bet you it is!!

Not a chance. Testing a device like a smartphone is highly complex and lengthy, so introducing a MASSIVE change like doubling the flash capacity, only weeks from Release-To-Manufacturing, is something that a smart company like Apple would pretty much never do. (Except for extenuating cirumstances, such as if Cingular offered them $10 million extra to do it, which I highly doubt)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
bah, i disagree, cingulars 3g network reaches 100 million americans...
Well there's no doubt that 3G is coming to iPhone... Now, whether or not it's OK to offer the iPhone first to people who don't demand 3G is a business decision--and one I will leave it to Apple to calculate. (My guess is the decision is fine and the iPhone will sell well ebven before the 3G version.) What's more imporant to for us USERS is whether we will get what we want--and for those who want 3G, the answer is yes :) Just not in June probably.

If you disagree that the iPhone would cost more with 3G, I can't say that it would--that's only my speculation. I did hear that 3G requires more power--anyone know if that's true?

(If the cost and power issues with 3G are for real, then I can definitely say it's OK to start with non-3G and let 3G follow soon after.)

Here's what I DEMAND of my iPhone:

1. It must be a revised version. If not an official Version B, then at least a mini-revision a few months in. Apple may fix something big in that time, or improve something small... but whatever they improve, I'd rather have it than be the early adopter.

2. It must have 16 GB storage. I know how I use my iPod now (music, photos, backup of work files--and video if I could play it!) and I know that 8 GB would be just enough. I want some cushion on top of that.

Here's what I very much WANT--but won't wait forever for (and might choose not to pay for):

1. 3G support (but only if it doesn't increase power drain or require a thicker phone).

2. 32 GB! :D

EDIT: 3. I want AT&T's 3G coverage to expand to the places I'd want it that it doesn't cover now. And while they're at it, expand their voice coverage too :)

In short, there's not a chance I'll be buying an iPhone in June. Later on--sure. And yet I am convinced it will immediately be a successful product without me. I recognize that MY needs are not the only needs that matter. 3G or no, it WILL sell as many as they can make, I predict.

rlreif

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2003
Vancouver
Well there's no doubt that 3G is coming... whether or not it's OK to offer the iPhone first to people who don't demand it is a business decision--and one I will leave it to Apple to calculate. (My guess is the decision is fine and the iPhone will sell well ebven before the 3G version.) What's more imporant to for us USERS is whether we will get what we want--and for those who want 3G, the answer is yes :) Just not in June probably.

If you disagree that the iPhone would cost more than 3G, I can't say that it would--it's all speculation. I did hear that 3G requires more power--anyone know if that's true?

(If the cost and power issues with 3G are for real, that I can definitely say it's OK to start with non-3G and let 3G follow soon after.)

1. It must be a revised version. If not an official Version B, then at least a mini-revision a few months in. Apple may fix something big in that time, or improve something small... but whatever they improve, I'd rather have it than be the early adopter.

2. It must have 16 GB storage. I know how I use my iPod now (music, photos, backup of work files--and video if I could play it!) and I know that 8 GB would be just enough. I want some cushion on top of that.

Here's what I very much WANT--but won't wait forever for (and might choose not to pay for):

1. 3G support.

im with you, man... different features matter to different people...
as for the power thing, yes HSDPA requires moderately more power than simple GSM with edge, but only when it is being used... HSDPA as I understand it is a separate antenna (HSDPA is a CDMA spec) so in normal operation it it uses the GSM antenna until a data stream is initiated at which time it connects to the second network..... on the other hand wifi uses far more power as it is always on looking for a signal... since the wifi isnt attached to the gsm towers it cant use the gsm to turn wifi on only when it is necessary, therefore wifi uses far more power than HSDPA.... another advantage with HSDPA is that you can tether your phone with your lappie, sharing its connection, this can be done with edge, but its miserably slow... in the case of the iphone you need a wifi hotspot for a fast connection, and in that case your lappie can get one too... with 3g you can get both online anywhere!

MacbookSwitcher

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2007
Well there's no doubt that 3G is coming to iPhone... Now, whether or not it's OK to offer the iPhone first to people who don't demand 3G is a business decision--and one I will leave it to Apple to calculate. (My guess is the decision is fine and the iPhone will sell well ebven before the 3G version.) What's more imporant to for us USERS is whether we will get what we want--and for those who want 3G, the answer is yes :) Just not in June probably.

If you disagree that the iPhone would cost more with 3G, I can't say that it would--that's only my speculation. I did hear that 3G requires more power--anyone know if that's true?

(If the cost and power issues with 3G are for real, then I can definitely say it's OK to start with non-3G and let 3G follow soon after.)

1. 3G support (but only if it doesn't increase power drain or require a thicker phone).

In short, there's not a chance I'll be buying an iPhone in June. Leter on--sure. And yet I am convinced it will immediately be a successful product without me. I recognize that MY needs are not the only needs that matter. 3G or no, it WILL sell as many as they can make, I predict.

I agree with your reasoning...I wouldn't want a device that couldn't store my whole music collection, which is around 14 GB.

As for 3G, yes a UMTS radio is definitely more expensive than an EGDE radio such as what is in the iPhone, simply because it is a newer technology. However, I believe the primary reason Apple didn't go with 3G is performance: Cingular's UMTS deployment is absolutely horrible (for example, DNS resolution on Cingular UMTS takes about 30 seconds). Not suitable for the iPhone or any other phone, for that matter.

Europe has a much better UMTS deployment, so Apple will most certainly make their first release there 3G.

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
How do I cancel my *&^%$# Sprint Contract?

I am in bed with Sprint until August of 2008. I have two phones with a $250 cancel fee for EACH!

How do I get out of this trap !!! AAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I think this one could just push me over the edge. I really do.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
as for the power thing, yes HSDPA requires moderately more power than simple GSM with edge, but only when it is being used... HSDPA as I understand it is a separate antenna (HSDPA is a CDMA spec) so in normal operation it it uses the GSM antenna until a data stream is initiated at which time it connects to the second network.....

However, I believe the primary reason Apple didn't go with 3G is performance: Cingular's UMTS deployment is absolutely horrible (for example, DNS resolution on Cingular UMTS takes about 30 seconds). Not suitable for the iPhone or any other phone, for that matter.

Good to know. I might be unhappy with 3G in the US... but I'd still prefer it if possible, for future-proofing.

rlreif

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2003
Vancouver
I agree with your reasoning...I wouldn't want a device that couldn't store my whole music collection, which is around 14 GB.

As for 3G, yes a UMTS radio is definitely more expensive than an EGDE radio such as what is in the iPhone, simply because it is a newer technology. However, I believe the primary reason Apple didn't go with 3G is performance: Cingular's UMTS deployment is absolutely horrible (for example, DNS resolution on Cingular UMTS takes about 30 seconds). Not suitable for the iPhone or any other phone, for that matter.

Europe has a much better UMTS deployment, so Apple will most certainly make their first release there 3G.

not to harp (sorry, i normally dont post so much) but another advantage with 3g is that a lot of features are doable, and are already being done with other smartphones, that simply cant be done with edge... if you have a slingbox you can control your home DVR and watch its content over 3g... using this internal storage becomes much less important... another similar thing is this: http://mobile.aol.com/winamp it allows windows peecees and winmo 3g phones to cooperate... the peecee streams its entire mp3 library to the phone over the data connection... i have over 100gb of music, it'll be a long tme before i can fit my entire collection on my phone, but with a free samsung blackjack, slingbox mobile (free), and mobile winamp (free) i can have ALL of my music on my phone, and everyhting on my directivo with zero internal storage... add a 2gb sd card for photos and whatnot, and suddenly paying $600 for a measly 8gb seems silly!

rlreif

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2003
Vancouver
Good to know. I might be unhappy with 3G in the US... but I'd still prefer it if possible, for future-proofing.

the point you seem to be missing is that you wouldnt be 'unhappy with 3g' your iphone would function on edge networks jsut as the iphone that is coming does, and when you are in a city with faster data, or when your city gets 3g your phone will automatically see a speed boost... its not like if apple chose to use 3g that yours wouldnt work wherever you live, it would just be edge

waterspaul

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2005
iPhone, yay! But can we get back to being an innovative COMPUTER co? Waiting for the new Mac Pro...:apple:

McGarvels

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
Still pretty lame to know it's going through Cingular (AT&T). EV-DO REV. A or it's worthless.

Does anybody know when Cingular (AT&T) is supposed to be updating their broadband?

:(

Yeah, I totally agree, and then Verizon (EV-DO right?) can put their awesome OS on top of apple's miniOSX. Oh and even better, Verizon can cripple the bluetooth and wifi access so you have to buy all your songs from their service. I can't wait!!!

Dean812@msn.com

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
I still think it was a horrible decision to announce the iPhone so far ahead of actual shipping. The initial buzz is gone, their competitors have released their own renditions, people have been able to nitpick over details and missing features.... no amount of email marketing is going to be able to reverse this.

Buzz is gone? I'd say its only just begun. And as for competitors, who are you speaking of? There are Z E R O iPhone competitors. There isnt one single phone out there in its class.

As for timing when releasing products, theres a whole phyrscology behind it. Trust that Apple is not just "winging" it. They know what they are doing. And I
for one CAN'T WAIT!

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
What a nice photo of the iPhone. It makes me want it that much more.

The price doesn't scare me, although it would set me back a fair bit. Like its been said thousands of times already, it's the Cingular part that makes the switch impossible. After MWSF, I re-contracted myself to Verizon since I knew iPhone wasn't a realistic option for me. My contract, plus the rest of my families ending at different points in the next few years make it nearly impossible to switch. Verizon's better coverage and more users that I call make switching that much more impractical.

I keep trying to find a way to get the iPhone. If Cingular were to offer some promotion to buy out of a current contract (I can wish...), that might be enough to pull me to them.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
iPhone, yay! But can we get back to being an innovative COMPUTER co? Waiting for the new Mac Pro...:apple:

The real reason iPhone is cool is not because it is a device with a phone app running on it. It is a palmtop supercomputer with desktop class OS and software, and multiple wireless I/O capabilities. It is the ultimate thin client in a client server ecosystem consisting of millions of clients and millions of servers.

Rocketman told you so.

maxp1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2005
Man that's a slick looking peice of equipment. Every time I see it I get this "I want that" feeling even though I have just about zero use for such a thing.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
No one really gives a **** about the iPhone. The minority might, but when its comes down to it, the iPhone is lacking in functionality and very expensive.

The majority have seen through this phone, a bit of expensive eye candy that isn't very functional.

This is the reason why Apple have to promote it again.

Wake me up when Apple release a proper smartphone.

From what I've observed of the demo, the touch screen maybe nice but the GUI is cumbersome. Apple will have to significantly improve the GUI for this to be a pleasure to use.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Nice: But best to wait for rev. 2

The Apple iphone looks nice :cool: but I think it also looks like an infant product that needs more refining.:(

It seems to have bells but it seems to be missing whistles.

Several things that I find most valuable in a phone don't seem to be available on an iphone;

1) Hands free car kit with voice control.
2) One hand operation.
3) Instant access buttons for things like redial, direct speed dial, etc.
4) Flip cover for protection, call pickup, and call disconnect.

From the few reports that I read the interface was nice but the keyboard was still gimmicky like most touch screen keyboards. Also it sounds like many things might be possible to implement in the future but currently weren't supported.

As an early adapter on many Apple products take my advice, wait for rev. 2 on this one. You will be glad you did!

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
No one really gives a **** about the iPhone. The minority might, but when its comes down to it, the iPhone is lacking in functionality and very expensive.

The majority have seen through this phone, a bit of expensive eye candy that isn't very functional.

From what I've observed of the demo, the touch screen maybe nice but the GUI is cumbersome. Apple will have to significantly improve the GUI for this to be a pleasure to use.

Lacking in what functionality?

And the GUI is cumbersome? What do you think needs to be improved in the iPhone GUI from what you've seen?

Speaking as a Treo user who has spent a ton of time with the Palm OS, and tried and failed to like Windows Mobile, I think it is amazing to say that the iPhone GUI is "cumbersome", especially if you are comparing it to these OS's.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
the point you seem to be missing is that you wouldnt be 'unhappy with 3g' your iphone would function on edge networks jsut as the iphone that is coming does, and when you are in a city with faster data, or when your city gets 3g your phone will automatically see a speed boost... its not like if apple chose to use 3g that yours wouldnt work wherever you live, it would just be edge

I'm not missing that at all. I have no problem accepting 3G--if it adds no cost or bulk--and in fact I want it (though it's not my top priority).

The reasons not to intro 3G in the very first version are business decisions on Apple's end--and I'm speculating that this call will not in fact backfire. Meanwhile those who demand 3G will get what they want down the road.

Wow, I think we have a post worth bookmarking for Son of Thread 500 :D

Good to know your view is the "majority" ;) And here I was thinking the majority currently know nothing more than "iPod good!" and "iPhone? Must be like iPod!"

CoreWeb

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
Edge of reason

I got the impression that it was the other way around... that the majority were wowed, and a few (apparently including yourself) thought it useless.

It is a very nice phone. It does things no other phone does. Very few people mention multitasking, yet I have no idea how to do this or if it is even possible on any other phone... try e-mailing someone a photo while talking to them. Or better yet, try taking a photo while talking to someone, and then e-mailing it to them, all without hanging up.

Also, the phone's biggest advantage is most likely its simplicity. Most of the "features" on smartphones or even normal phones may never be used more than once, because they are too cumbersome. Address books, even - these may be used for the odd phone call at the moment, not the every day call.

Very few people have used one, and I certainly haven't, so I can't tell for sure, but the iPhone appears to be THE OPPOSITE of cumbersome.

But the features which many people seem to ignore:
1. Ease-of-use
2. Multitasking
3. Web browser (only similar one in Nokia S60, and both are built on the same engine - don't even bring up MSIE mobile or any of the others. They just don't compare.)
4. iPod (other phones may have music capabilities, but... who uses them (much))

All of those features seem to get ignored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.