Email question re: iPad as only computer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Undecided, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Undecided macrumors 6502a

I was thinking of getting an iPad 2 16GB for an elderly family member, to use instead of her aging Windows PC. It does everything she needs: web, email, skype video. However, one thing that concerns me is email capacity. That is, on a computer, your entire email history is there. On the iPad it holds, what, at most the last 1000 messages? So where's the rest of it? Still on the server, and still searchable? I assume she's setup on POP email, if that matters.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Who said the iPad holds a certain amount of messages? My messages are on a server, I can always search that if need be. Am I missing something?

3. Wolffie macrumors regular

Wolffie

I highly suggest finding out if IMAP is available on the email provider.
    Clean up the collection of mail. Trash all ads, spams, etc.
    Then load the emails from the aging PC to the email server via IMAP.
    Then iPad2. A very good idea.
    Does the family member have WiFi available?

4. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ha - I wasn't thinking about the old email! But that's a good point, I'll have to move her old email over, via the server. I was focusing on the future, when she gets more and more email. At some point, over 1,000 I think, they get removed from the iPad.

Or, the PC will still be there so I could just leave it there and she can continue forward with the iPad.

Yes, she has wifi.

----------

I think the iPad only caches the last 1,000 messages.

5. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

The ipad will only store the last 1000 emails but everything else can be searched from the server of the email provider.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Who is the email provider? If she has a gmail account, it's pretty searchable. I'm able to find some pretty old stuff in mine.