email spam

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by TheAirbookDude, Feb 7, 2008.

1. TheAirbookDude macrumors newbie

TheAirbookDude

how can i block emails being sent to my acct, i check the site throughout the day but dont want my email box flooded w/junk email from the site...thks

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Our policy is that no member will be sent email except in these circumstances:
    • An individual message sent by a moderator or administrator about an issue with the member's MacRumors account.
    • When we are replying to their message to us.
    • When they use forum features that generate email, including forum and thread subscriptions with email notification, email notification of Private Messages, and the messages generated when they use the Lost Password Recovery Form.
    • When they enable "Receive Email from Other Members" in their User CP Options to allow other members to email them via the forum system. Email sent this way will be "from" MacRumors but will clearly indicate that another member sent the message.
    We never send bulk email and we never email members to sell or promote anything. In short, we send email to members only when it is necessary or clearly appropriate.

I know of no cases where our policy was not observed.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

To follow up on arn's suggestion, you may want to check the "Default Thread Subscription Mode" setting in the "Messaging & Notification" section of the first link in arn's post. I suspect that you may have signed up to receive e-mail notifications of your subscribed threads.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hi,

I just wanted to revive this thread as I've noticed a problem with my subscription notices recently and it's possibly related to the OP's issue. I've subscribed to two threads with weekly notification, and recently when the notification comes I get three messages (at various times throughout the day) about the same thread. Since the emails are not sent in rapid succession I'm guessing it's either a very odd mail delivery problem, or (more likely) something do do with the subscription checking code.

Since I don't subscribe to many threads this isn't really that annoying to me, but if someone subscribed to many threads I could see how they would consider it spam!