Email Steve Jobs Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j.burris, Apr 21, 2010.

1. j.burris macrumors member

I emailed Steve Jobs Monday morning about something, and still have not heard anything. I know he probably gets a ton of emails from people. I used the following emails: sjobs@apple.com; steve@mac.com; stevejobs@apple.com; stevej@apple.com; jobs.s@apple.com; sjobs@hotmail.com
    I used my hotmail email account. Would that not show up in the inbox?
    Would it go straight to the trash and listed as junk mail?
    I used a few email addresses that I found for him including a hotmail one.
    However I got a message back stating a delivery message status failed for the hotmail one. Would it still have gotten to the other email addresses?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you send multiple messages on one subject, that might be considered as off-putting.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes.

4. j.burris thread starter macrumors member

offputting?

What do you mean by off-putting? Overdoing it?

So should I re email it just to sjobs@apple.com?
    Or should I use my yahoo email account?

5. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Anyone really think Steve Jobs is running around with a hotmail account?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What if you get multiple emails by an unknown party and have hardly the time to answer all the other emails? What would you do if you were him and have his character traits?

7. j.burris thread starter macrumors member

No, I didn't but since I saw it online in a couple places and I was using a hotmail account I thought it was the safest backup. In case my hotmail email got marked as junk.
    My reason for emailing him was first and foremost to complement him and commend him on his good job with the company and such. Second I told him about myself and that I had a brain tumor when I was 7 years old which has resulted in many complications and ongoing issues. I am also diabetic and I had a diabetic seizure at night due to taking too much insulin and exercising. My blood sugar was 15. When I had the seizure, I fell out of bed onto my ibook g4 which was lying on the floor next to my bed and nightstand. When I fell I broke the touchpad and the screen. Plus then the paramedics moved it bending and fraying my power adapter cord.
    So I thought it was worth a shot to ask if he would send me a new laptop.

8. j.burris thread starter macrumors member

Thanks anyway. I guess I was just stupid to think anything let alone get a response from the email. Its just hard in this economy when you don't have a job, can't afford to fix the computer let alone a new one and you have a ton of health problems to boot.

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Lordy, calm down.

If there's one thing that will cause a busy, impatient and famously brittle-tempered recipient like Jobs to summarily trash an email, it's that whiff of creepy over-earnestness shared by assorted time-wasters, fanbois and stalkers.

Pick one email address (and I'll leave it as an exercise to you to figure out which would be best... hint: it'd be the one he's used to email comments to other users in recent weeks). Compose a brief, concise, readable and grammatical email. Send from an address of your own which is not hosted by a known volcano-o-spam like hotmail.

Use lots of white space. Like this.

Summarize with a to-the-point subject line that will draw his attention (or at least make it through the layers of assistants whose job it is to prevent his time being wasted). Keep in mind, you have a microsecond or two to make him feel your email is worth his time to open, and then to keep it open once he does.

Send.

...If you hear back, great. If you don't, you're not alone.

10. j.burris thread starter macrumors member

email

So is yahoo ok or is that bad too?

I guess I could use my parents local internet providers given email.

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Why don't you just save your time and call Apple support? This is incredibly lame. Steve Jobs isn't your personal tech support...jesus...:rolleyes:

12. j.burris thread starter macrumors member

It's not under warranty or apple care anymore.

Thanks.:)

13. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

Even if your story is legit, too many people before you have played that card and ruined any chance you have.

14. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Did you type it in all caps to get his attention? If not, he probably won't respond.

15. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Thanks for the explanation. I'm very sorry for your travails. You'll pull through it.

I doubt he'd give you a new laptop, but there's no harm in trying, and there are things you can do to maximize your chances for a good outcome.

To maximize the chances of your email even getting read, I think you have all the advice you need. Do note my admonishment about grammar- (and spelling-) checking. "Compliment" not "complement," etc.

And don't grease the guy; he doesn't respond well to that, he's not some vapid preening movie star. If you find inspiration in his own triumph over health battles, that would do to say.

I'd add a sentence about what you're doing to engineer your own triumph. Those of us (myself included, long story) who have battled through harrowing disability issues don't always smile upon others with a sad story unless it's accompanied by a certain set of the jaw, a subtle directness of the gaze, which signifies a determination not to be a victim. So be sure to communicate a measure of resolve and grit, and touch on how the Mac has been a valuable tool for you in your path forward.

But keep it brief.

And maybe rather than bluntly asking for a handout, ask if Apple works with any services that provide hardware to folks in your situation, or to fix machines used for assistive purposes. That's less likely to be summarily deleted, IMHO, and perhaps one of SJ's underlings will just route the email to someone who can help rather than have it go to The Man himself for disposal.

Yahoo is better than hotmail but I think you'd do best with a local ISP address.

16. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

If you're medically "classified" as disabled, there are plenty of programs available to you for free refurbished laptops; just Google 'em. Make sure they're legitimate organizations. Maybe you can work out a trade for someone's laptop, a friend or relative might have one that he/she doesn't need anymore.

You were able to get online for this thread, so I take it you have access to someone's computer. If your story is for real, and you're not a Nigerian prince or something like that, I'm certain someone or some organization in your community can help you. Let us know if you've made any progress. If this is all BS, and you do get hold of Mr. S. Jobs, make sure to ask that your replacement is running an i5.

17. racer1441 macrumors 68000

VERY TRUE!

18. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I got my G5 replaced with an Intel MacPro 3 months after my Applecare ran out by emailing Steve Jobs. They do listen and they do care.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I truly hope that you receive an email back from them.
    And I am sorry to hear what about happen.

If you don't get a response back from them though, I would suggest not limiting yourself to Macs if you can't afford one at the moment. A PC might work out for you and help you a bit on money too.

Best of luck.

20. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I sympathise with your illness, I really do.

But c'mon, a scrounging email to the boss of apple. Lolwut.
    It's a bit much don't you think?
    Should Apple give anyone with a hard luck story a free Mac? I doubt their shareholders or Mac buyers would like that.

Iam sure a charity will, if you are really ill, give you an old PC.

doris

21. j.burris thread starter macrumors member

You know you are all right. I am stupid, selfish and greedy. Sorry I ever opened this thread let alone joined mac rumors. Who needs anything. I'm not worth anything anyway. Maybe I'll just take too much insulin like I did before this happened and caused it and be done with everything. So long.
    Consider this thread now closed.

22. Scylax macrumors regular

I agree this thread should close, since everyone is getting so upset, but I just want to ask you not to take advice so personally. This is a great place to get help with problems, and the number of responses you received should tell you that you are worth something. I sympathise with your medical problems as I too suffer from severe health problems, and rely heavily on my mac. But whether you get a response or not, there is no way you will improve your chances by either overdoing things or getting touchy and giving up. Please don't get so frustrated, although I know well how hard it is to cope with ill health. If you get what you asked for, that's great, if not, don't take it personally. Good luck, and please don't do anything stupid.

23. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Um, his Mac is broken...by no fault of Apple. They have no obligation to replace a product that was destroyed by means they have no control over...sorry dude. I sympathize with your conditions, but there's a line as far as circumstance and accidental damage. Apple doesn't cover the fact that you accidentally destroyed your laptop, and nor are they obligated to. Look into insurance or move on.

24. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Here's what you should have done.

Dear Steve,

I have enjoyed seeing Apple grow into a magical and revolutionary not to mention innovative company. Thanks for being a great part of Apples success.

I recently fractured my iBook G4. I'm a recent brain tumor recovery patient, but I still suffer from seizures and high blood pressure. Due to my seizures, I one night suffered a HUGE one, which forced me to fall out of bed on top of my G4 fracturing the touchpad and screen. I wanted to know if Apple could help in sending me a new baseline MacBook as a replacement for my iBook?

Below are pictures of my iBook and medical records proving I do suffer from seizures

Thanks

John Doe

25. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Woah man don't get suicidal on us!
    God loves you Pristiq can help!