Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Um. Like I said above there’s an iPhone 7 or 8. That’s relatively the same size as the SE. Why buy a smaller phone which is lest powerful to its counterparts. So he 6s is .7 inch bigger

This is a dishonest comparison you posted. What's relevant is dimensions, which are:

• iPhone SE - 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm (4.87 x 2.31 x 0.30 in), 113g (3.99 oz)
  • iPhone 7 - 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm (5.44 x 2.64 x 0.28 in) and 138 g (4.87 oz)
Importantly that's >1/2" taller (~10%) and 1/3" (~15%) wider.
[doublepost=1537212657][/doublepost]
It’s seems terribly pretentious to email the single top guy at one of the most profitable companies in the world to make a revision to one product offering.

You mean, like all the emails asking about when the Mini update will occur?

Reactions: Daria

UserJalen

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2017
Indianapolis, Indiana
Just because *you* don’t like the SE doesn’t mean other people won’t buy it. It was an immediately popular model upon its release and has had a loyal following since. Lest you forget, it was chronically out of stock for many many months following it’s initial release because evidently there were more than “only a handful of people” buying it. Were more users gravitating to the large screen phones? Of course. But the SE was a surprise hit from the moment it was released, and to say otherwise it’s just plain ignorant.

And for what it’s worth, anyone saying Apple doesn’t care what users want needs to watch the SE release video: Apple leadership explicitly stated at the unveiling that they were releasing the SE in part because so many users were requesting a return to smaller phones. Apple has since clearly decided to go all in with the big screen models, but then everyone said the same thing when the iPhone 6 was released, and 18 months later they announced the SE. Lightning struck once with the first model; maybe it will do so again. And there’s absolutely no shame in writing Apple about product feedback, as they’ve demonstrated time and again that they routinely read and even respond to some requests.
I said what I said if you don’t agree it doesn’t matter haha. Like I’ll say again no one wants an SE I’m not speaking for myself, I’m speaking for the majority of people who opt for an iPhone 6, 7 or 8. I’m sorry that want a classic phone again..
[doublepost=1537213438][/doublepost]
This is a dishonest comparison you posted. What's relevant is dimensions, which are:

• iPhone SE - 123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6 mm (4.87 x 2.31 x 0.30 in), 113g (3.99 oz)
  • iPhone 7 - 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm (5.44 x 2.64 x 0.28 in) and 138 g (4.87 oz)
Importantly that's >1/2" taller (~10%) and 1/3" (~15%) wider.
[doublepost=1537212657][/doublepost]

You mean, like all the emails asking about when the Mini update will occur?
Either way peoples hands aren’t tiny to want a screen the size of one of their fingers.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Like I’ll say again no one wants an SE I’m not speaking for myself, I’m speaking for the majority of people who opt for an iPhone 6, 7 or 8.

So you're sure people opt for a 7 or 8 solely because they want that size? Not maybe because they want a phone to last more than 3 years and/or a more powerful phone than the 6s/SE?

Do purple iPhones not sell because people don't want them, or because Apple doesn't make them?

People can only buy what they have to choose from...

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Many of us are upset that the iPhone SE has been discontinued. I sent Tim Cook an email this morning about it at his email address: tcook@apple.com

Please take a minute and drop him a polite, respectful email and encourage him to release an updated iPhone SE soon for those of us who prefer a smaller phone.

Hopefully, if enough of us request it Apple might reconsider its decision to discontinue the iPhone SE. Not everybody wants a big phone, and it would be great if Apple continued to support the SE.

Thanks, and let's hope Apple changes its mind soon.
Tim Cook does not care unless it's more profits for Apple or furthers his political lobbyist causes.
[doublepost=1537215189][/doublepost]
Anyone know how long Tim has been at Apple? What are the odds of no other Tom Cook, Terry Cook, Theresa Cook, etc. working at Apple, unless he's been there for 20+ years?
Never say never. Apple had a Sam Sung.

p6CQzHw.jpg

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
So you're sure people opt for a 7 or 8 solely because they want that size? Not maybe because they want a phone to last more than 3 years and/or a more powerful phone than the 6s/SE?

Do purple iPhones not sell because people don't want them, or because Apple doesn't make them?

People can only buy what they have to choose from...

Yep, it’s the chicken or the egg debate. In any case the truth is probably much more complicated than we know. If demand was the ONLY major factor, then yes Apple discontinuing it had to mean there was no demand for the SE. But we know and have seen that for Apple, demand isn’t as important as it is to other companies. There are other factors they consider just as if not more heavily. And probably many more factors than we realize.

No one is saying the majority wants SE sized phones. But beyond that it’s impossible to tell how large or small that group is.

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
I said what I said if you don’t agree it doesn’t matter haha. Like I’ll say again no one wants an SE I’m not speaking for myself, I’m speaking for the majority of people who opt for an iPhone 6, 7 or 8. I’m sorry that want a classic phone again..

Dude, seriously, listen to yourself. Nobody is forcing you to go back to a small phone. What the people in this thread and others are emphasizing is that we prefer smaller phones. For you to say that "no one wants an SE" and that you're not speaking for yourself is ludicrous. You must be suffering from some type of bigger-is-better insecurity. Why else would you argue your case in a thread where the discussion revolves specifically around a small iPhone?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
No one is saying the majority wants SE sized phones. But beyond that it’s impossible to tell how large or small that group is.

Dropping the SE off Apple's available offerings for 3 months before the holidays is going to give them a lot of information about what people are willing to do in its absence.

Reactions: Daria and subjonas

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
Not going to happen. A SE2 would take engineering to make an entirely new circuit board costing millions.

Apple is not going to do it and every poll finds people running to the larger phones.

It's all about sales. It cost millions to create the HomePod, and how many of those have they sold?

If sales for the new models don't meet expectations and Apple sees a market need for a less expensive / smaller phone, I wouldn't be surprised to see an invitation go out to press around March for a new SE.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I swear, the iPhone SE and the Essential Phone is going to be the Shenmue II of mobile history. Underrated. Beloved. Fans will ask for years for a sequel. At least Shenmue III will finally be released next year on August 27th. Only took 18 years...

The irony because Shenmue II might be my favorite video game of all-time aging better than Final Fantasy VII and my Essential Phone and iPhone SE rank #1 & #2 among my favorite phones ever. Used to be LG G5 at #1 until the battery drain and ghosting.

Love Shenmue II, Essential PH-1, and iPhone SE. Not really into iOS but it's clear iPhone SE is the best iPhone ever made FOR ME. Because iOS really was intended for small screens.

Only iPhone worth its price but was sold below its true value.

Nice analogy. I feel the same way about Shenmue II.

The SE is the perfect phone for those of us who don’t stare into a phone screen 85% of their time...

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
Just bought an SE 1 hour ago. My apple store has a bunch in stock. I'm downgrading and the only reason is that i don't want a phone. I use the watch for everything I need except I often use notes app for professional use. and app for stock trading. I workout and run daily and I'll drop that heavy X on the track. the SE slips into pocket like my keys.

Lets face it, almost everyone is getting big phones to get lost in social media because their reality sucks. I get satisfaction from personal accomplishment. I keep asking people with iphone X what they do on the phone and they mostly use it to blow time and procrastinate. This is self-sabotage. I'm young but i refuse to subscribe to this zombie epidemic.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
Just bought an SE 1 hour ago. My apple store has a bunch in stock. I'm downgrading and the only reason is that i don't want a phone. I use the watch for everything I need except I often use notes app for professional use. and app for stock trading. I workout and run daily and I'll drop that heavy X on the track. the SE slips into pocket like my keys.

Lets face it, almost everyone is getting big phones to get lost in social media because their reality sucks. I get satisfaction from personal accomplishment. I keep asking people with iphone X what they do on the phone and they mostly use it to blow time and procrastinate. This is self-sabotage. I'm young but i refuse to subscribe to this zombie epidemic.

no. the only social media i use is instagram and even then i don't go on it much.

SE size phone makes no sense.

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012

Omg! Bingo!

People are absolutely addicted to social media more than they are to cocaine. Feeling the need to constantly send beautiful high res photos to their coworkers or family or friends ***is*** a form of social media. Most people who are addicted to various forms of social media deny it.

Not to mention people with big phones look ridiculous. Reminds me of tourists taking photos with their iPads.

Reactions: Daria

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
no. the only social media i use is instagram and even then i don't go on it much.

SE size phone makes no sense.

Yes the entire world was INSANE using small smartphones for the 15 years before phablets came around.

Nothing I regularly use my SE for is better on a phablet. I tried one for 3 months. To me, all it was was a clumsy bulky version of my SE. When I want a big screen I use an iPad or a computer or a tv.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Yes the entire world was INSANE using small smartphones for the 15 years before phablets came around.

Nothing I regularly use my SE for is better on a phablet. I tried one for 3 months. To me, all it was was a clumsy bulky version of my SE. When I want a big screen I use an iPad or a computer or a tv.

Unfortunately, that is slowly changing due to today’s space-wasting white-space-heavy website and app design fads. Pages rarely fit well on an SE screen so you are always having to scroll just to see the basic info.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Does Android make a tiny device?

They have one phone slightly larger but nowhere near the SE’s features and performance.. If Apple really doesn’t plan on updating or replacing it, people will either have to use existing SE’s until they aren’t supported anymore or stop working. I’ve always thought if nothing comes out in March 2019 to update or replace the SE then it’s probably never going to be.. There is the odd fact that if Apple intended to update it they would of continued to sell the SE until the new one came out so it doesn’t look good for SE fans for multiple reasons

Lowhangers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
Omg! Bingo!

People are absolutely addicted to social media more than they are to cocaine. Feeling the need to constantly send beautiful high res photos to their coworkers or family or friends ***is*** a form of social media. Most people who are addicted to various forms of social media deny it.

Not to mention people with big phones look ridiculous. Reminds me of tourists taking photos with their iPads.

I saw a lady at the supermarket with a big ass phablet. She was pushing the cart with one hand and whirling her phablet around with the other. I thought she was going to hit somebody with it, I don't know what the hell she was trying to do. Maybe cast a spell or something?
[doublepost=1537239197][/doublepost]
They have one phone slightly larger but nowhere near the SE’s features and performance.. If Apple really doesn’t plan on updating or replacing it, people will either have to use existing SE’s until they aren’t supported anymore or stop working. I’ve always thought if nothing comes out in March 2019 to update or replace the SE then it’s probably never going to be.. There is the odd fact that if Apple intended to update it they would of continued to sell the SE until the new one came out so it doesn’t look good for SE fans for multiple reasons

I think they might try a version of the Xs, but smaller. That is NOT what I want to buy. I want another phone with the SE design with updated internals. I do NOT like the X design at all. The notch is hideous and distracting, and the phone itself is like a bar of slippery soap with no way to get a good grip on it like you can with the sides of the SE.

I hope that I am wrong, but I fear Apple will try to push the Face ID, X design crap on all of us. If that's the case then I'm holding onto my SE phones (one in use and one as a backup) for dear life. I will NEVER own a phone with a damn notch. EVER.
[doublepost=1537239318][/doublepost]

Ditto. My 8 Plus is a great device, but it's a pain in the ass to use with one hand. Even with two it's still a chunkster to hold onto and it weighs a lot. My SE is light as a feather and easily used with one hand. The difference is night and day.
[doublepost=1537239464][/doublepost]
Dude, seriously, listen to yourself. Nobody is forcing you to go back to a small phone. What the people in this thread and others are emphasizing is that we prefer smaller phones. For you to say that "no one wants an SE" and that you're not speaking for yourself is ludicrous. You must be suffering from some type of bigger-is-better insecurity. Why else would you argue your case in a thread where the discussion revolves specifically around a small iPhone?

He is clueless and just mouthing generalities. He speaks for no one but himself. Plenty of people want an updated iPhone SE. The phone sold quite well, and had a solid market niche with people who want a phone not a phablet.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I sent 25 e-mails to Tim Cook asking to bring back the iPhone SE.

If just 1% of the country follows my lead and sends 25 e-mails commanding Cook to bring back the SE, that would be:

325 million (population of the USA) / 1 (1% of the population) = 3.25. 3.25 * 25 (emails sent per person) = 81.25. 81.25 million e-mails sent to Tim Cook would give him no other option than to bring back the dominant iPhone SE.

Reactions: s54

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Unfortunately, that is slowly changing due to today’s space-wasting white-space-heavy website and app design fads. Pages rarely fit well on an SE screen so you are always having to scroll just to see the basic info.

I haven’t run into too much of that myself. My sites and apps are pretty good on SE. I’m not a developer but I’d think sites should format to any screen size. iPod Touch is still being sold so hopefully devs will have to keep supporting that size.
[doublepost=1537243764][/doublepost]

Yeah the outlook is pretty glum.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t even think I’ve seen someone use an SE other then maybe after it was released? Or it could’ve just been a regular 5 lol

Oddly enough, I live in a fairly populated city and I can honestly say I have never seen an iPhone SE in public, this is coming from someone who actually did own one. But even from my own anecdotal experience , it likely isn’t the first choice phone for everyone, simply because Apple never really marketed the SE, the 4 inch iPhone is not and its not a predominant smart phone in today’s market.

The consumer sees exactly what Apple markets, which is usually their latest phones, I think the iPhone SE is a safe alternative for those who are not interested in the latest technology/smart phones and simply want a small phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.