Emailed sjobs@apple.com regarding issues with a Macbook Pro..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LinMac, Jan 12, 2009.

1. LinMac macrumors 65816

I emailed sjobs@apple.com on Saturday regarding an issue with a Macbook Pro I purchased after several rounds with AppleCare because of issues with it.

How long is the typical wait on the weekend or are they strictly a Monday - Friday outfit?

2. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Emailing that address doesn't guarantee a response. And I know for the responses I that I have gotten back it has varied from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Better to deal with Apple Care and get whatever your problem is fixed.

3. NStocks macrumors 65816

I know ...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I kept ringing customer services, but finally got told that I should be ringing Applecare. So after 80 minutes on the phone with applecare today ( after calling once then being wrongly informed, I asked to be put through directly with the manager because they had to confirm things with her anyway ) a good 40 minutes, and she said what a whole mess my replacements have being and she is very sorry. Basically I got a mac, that was faulty so I requested a replacement, this replacement is faulty also and 8 days ago I was told a replacement was set up but it wasn't... to keep the story shorter than what it is, the manager has kind of sorted it out and told me that she will be contacting me again to tell me that a new MBP has being set up, rather than waiting for my refund ( which I did not request ), to be sent to me.

I got Life '09 shipped to me, but then I said ' Won't the new unit have it installed already', with that she laughed ( probably because it caused more problems ), and so I'm waiting for her to call or email telling me what's happening next, as she's the only person who is now looking into my case, and she will deal with it all.

... So yeah, apple messed me around big time, and if the new unit has any problems, i.e. the screen bleed then I may bite the bullet and go for the 17" as long as they give me discount, ( not likely) or just wait for a revision on the 15".

Keep us posted about what's going on with your problems, and I hope that Steve emails you... but I wouldn't depend on it. Apple really need to sort out these MBP's, even if its just a small percentage with problems, it's still not acceptable, and customers still get messed around.

NStocks

4. Archandy macrumors newbie

I too understand your frustration. I do note that we are using advanced technologies and these aren't going to be perfect but the amounts of money apple charge you'd want some balance with it.

For example, my MBP is JUST over 12 months and the logic board broke, needing £780 to fix it. No applecare, not apples problem Ive been told. Great, thanks.

So a £1400 computer last one years these days?? I dont care how good it performed (it has been excellent) that is ridiculous.

Im now having to find money to fund a new uniMBP asap to finish work off....bet Mr. Jobs is laughing his way to the bank.

5. faust macrumors regular

faust

It's actually not their problem if you didn't have enough foresight to buy Applecare. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you? You have the gall to emphasize the price of the computer, but couldn't reason that a $1400 computer is certainly worth insuring for an extra $200? Boo hoo.

It's funny, though, my 8600M GT MBP has been repaired three times, when I bring it in at noon, it will have been the fourth repair to it. I hope they are tired of fixing it and decide to give me a new one...

6. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

From my experience if they are going to reply to your email it will happen within 48 hours.

I think a large amount of email to that address simply gets deleted. Only well written and special cases get responses.

They have people working all days of the week there. I've had people from Apple customer relations call me on Sunday mornings.

7. LinMac thread starter macrumors 65816

This Macbook Pro is not my Unibody Macbook Pro. It is an earlier 2008 model. The Unibody Macbook Pros that I have been working with lately have mostly been perfect without any flaws of any kind.

We'll see what happens by this afternoon. Hopefully I get a response. :D

8. Archandy macrumors newbie

Um, yeah, thanks for that. Jeez.

It just seems to me they should just work applecare into the overall price of these MBPs, if they are so likely to die. I mean LOTS of people are having problems.

Ive had several macs that lasted years, I thought they were solid machines. Seems I was wrong, and am paying for it. And yes, know I realise you HAVE TO buy applecare I will, as well as buy a brand new uniMBP. Bet apple are loving me learning this lesson hey.

9. faust macrumors regular

faust

Quit your whining, now.

You know what the funny thing is? Most of those "lots of people" are smarter than you, you know why? They actually bought their Applecare, unlike you.

Your problem is your own. You never know what's going to happen with a computer. Open your eyes, Apple does go above and beyond for their customers. Check out the Macbook Pro support page. They've gone so far as to offer free repairs to MBPs with the 8600M GT video processors when they have distorted/no video problems. With Applecare/Genius Bar, they don't accuse me of pouring every liquid known to man on my computer when I have to bring it in for repair. They at the very least give you a minimal amount of respect, and here you are insulting the excellent service they provide because you were an idiot and didn't buy the extended warranty?

JESUS MAN, they don't even make you buy it right away. You have until your initial year of service to buy it, so why is it their fault?

10. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Apple went above and beyond for offering to repair a defective computer? That doesn't seem like "above and beyond" to me.

11. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Funny post, I just love the way you put 'Lots of people' even though you don't have a clue how many buy Apple Care. And Apple have to fix 8600m GT faults, it has naff all to do with customer service but more likely they want to avoid a court room battle seeing as they have admitted the fault with the chips, after Nvidia did.
    There are also many Genius Bar horror story's on here, most of them are fine but there are some bad ones out there.
    You like sound like the perfect Apple fan, they can never do no wrong and it's YOUR fault the computer died after 1 year :rolleyes:
    You have no idea how the guy has treated it, but funnily enough I tend to find most people respect something they spend that much money on.
    I don't buy Apple Care, I don't plan to. If the laptop packs up after a year then I can use the fit for purpose law to get it fixed especially if it's treated with kid gloves.

12. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Actually, if you read the fine print, it states that Applecare does not cover parts or products that are not made by Apple. The only exceptions to this have been when Apple acknowledges that they are aware that certain parts are faulty, such as the NVidia cards in the MBPs. I suppose they could have just as easily made MBP owners pay for the repairs.

Whether that's going "above and beyond" or just being a responsible corporation is up to interpretation...

Edit: And like the poster above said, they probably only make these types of exceptions to the Applecare policies to avoid lawsuits.

13. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Not made by Apple? The entire logic board is custom made by Apple. There is absolutely no way that Apple could have avoided repairing ALL MBPs that suffer from defective hardware. There would be a huge class action lawsuit in which Apple wouldn't stand a chance.

Bottom line this has nothing to do with Apple care.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think Faust might be a little too harsh but I agree with him. If you shell out for a $1400+ notebook, I'd expect you to buy Apple Care and especially when you can easily score one on ebay for around $120-$150 if you look all year long.

15. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I agree...I wasn't talking about the logic boards...my response was to the poster who was saying that Apple went "above and beyond" to fix the NVidia chips. (i.e. the same poster that you replied to the first time)

16. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Direct awnser to the original question is 3-4 working days.

The Apple executive team are great they replaced my faulty 2.4ghz Macbook Pro for a 2.53ghz unibody and other goodies!

They will help you as best they can.

17. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Iit's not unreasonable to expect a $2000+ computer to last more than a year, and if you think it is, then you're well within the reality distortion field.

18. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Totally agree. Apple's QC has gone to the **** lately and they are hiding it behind, "well if you get applecare we will fix the problem if it is out of the 1 year warranty". My last powerbook lasted me 8 years, yes 8 years. I have developed software on it over those 8 years, left it running probably close to 65% of those 8 years as well, at least for the last 3 it was barely ever turned off. And the only thing that was ever replaced was a 40GB to 80GB harddrive (which I was doing anyways) and a ram upgrade (which was my choice, orignal DIMs still work). Of course the battery needed replacement but that lasted 4 years of bringing the computer to campus with me. Honestly when I get that out of an older model, I expect newer ones to give similar type results. The problem is the quick push of new hardware to the market and not enough testing being done with new models. Apple could once say they had great support and quality control. Now due to the piss poor quality control I have a feeling it is causing the decrease in support also offered.

19. faust macrumors regular

faust

I love all the crying. I don't honestly care, but, again, Apple is just another corporation. If you compare what we have with Apple, as opposed to with a company like Compaq(A company that I have had one too many problems with), you'd feel we Apple users come out on top.

Idiotic comments similar to, "And like the poster above said, they probably only make these types of exceptions to the Applecare policies to avoid lawsuits", are ridiculous. Of course that is the reason why they make exceptions to Applecare policies. Apple is a business. They have been very good to their customers.

If you guys don't think $200 or so for an extra 3 years of guaranteed repair is worthwhile, you're well well within the "reality distortion field".

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

When could Apple ever say that they had good quality control?

Even your beloved PowerBook (and its brother, the iBook) have had serious QC issues over the years... like the screen turning whitish in the middle? And the 12" models running almost unusably hot? And the "hi-res" screen they put in the last PB model having the horizontal banding issue? And the 17" screens having the vertical line issues? And so many iBook G4s had an issue with logic board problems that the country of Denmark took issue with Apple? Powerbook Titanium screen hinge issues? Cases pitting?

As for Apple having great support, I have yet to see a major survey that didn't rank AppleCare/Genius Bars as having the highest satisfaction of all computer owners. Maybe you've read something otherwise.

21. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

agreed with the points on Quality Control.

I also believe because Apple has entered into other markets like ipod/iphone that alot of it's resources are being used there that once were focused on the original hardware....the computers....it's not hard to see either that those area's are raking in huge numbers...unfortunately the other hardware divisions will feel the crunch of less attention.

I too get a little worried about the preventable faults that the laptops are displaying...and unlike the old powerbook days when these occurances were rare or significantly less, we now have to cross our fingers and hope we don't get a lemon.

22. HBOC macrumors 68020

applecare adds another 3 years?! I thought it was just 2. I agree, they give you a WHOLE YEAR to buy it. And why wouldnt someone NOT buy it. It not only covers any repair (within reasons, of course), but adds resale value and peace of mind.

23. faust macrumors regular

faust

No?

I guess this doesn't apply either..

Guess what happened yesterday? My Macbook Pro's logic board died again for the second time within a year. Much to my dismay, it shouldn't have even gone out once, but thankfully, I purchased Applecare. I brought it in at 1 PM. They were nice enough to put my computer above even ProCare members, so I got it back the same day. Such an evil corporation! I picked it up a half hour ago, it's 8:17 PM now.

For the record, this is a forum for a website that deals with rumors concerning new products/services of Apple. So, I am sorta laughing at the "lol apple fanboy!" comments I am getting.

24. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

I didn't get AppleCare. I bought AppleCare on my last mac, a 2006 iMac, and then the thing got stolen a few months after the 1 year standard warranty. Buying insurance is always a gamble, especially when that insurance isn't actually insurance.

25. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I hope the OP gets sorted out. Do reply to this thread and let us know what happens, won't you?