Embarassing medical problem

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Jul 5, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Ok I have a really bad and embarassing medical problem. It has been effecting me since I was about 9. It isn't really a physical problem but more of a mental one, an anxiety problem I think. Is there anyone I can go to for free without my parents or anyone knowing?

2. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

3. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

Out of luck then :(
    I think most places require a parent-signed form of some sort if you're under 18.

4. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

I dont believe so till after your 18 because i believe doctors are required to call parents. I am not to sure but i think that is what will happen.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Minnesota is just like Canada (it's cold, there's lots of snow, and people like hockey), except for the lack of free healthcare.

Why don't you just do a google search for mental health care in your city?

Why can't your parents know? It's better to have them on your side.

6. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

This is probably the answer you don't want to hear, but why not just talk to them about it? They ARE your parents after all.

Psst, forged signature ;)

7. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

They would make fun of me or think I'm a loser... people that don't have this problem don't get it.

8. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

Bah, no they won't, you could blame it on bad genes :D

I'm pretty sure I'm obsessive-compulsive, and I'm only sixteen. I've never really dealt with it though. It feels like the norm because I think I've had it all my life. Just little things like a small scratch on my computer really bug me.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's the problem? Look, I don't know you from Joe the Retarded Plumber, so you may as well just tell us so that we can actually give you advice.

10. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Why not open your condition here? No one knows who you are and maybe we can help. The potential benefit will far exceed the risk.

11. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Not those guys that stand on the corner that the police always harass.

Try getting a therapist to prescribe you to something. Mine wanted to give me and thought was necessary adderall but I kindly declined.

EDIT: You might need parent's consent regardless, I'm not sure.

12. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

act like you got hit by a bus. Beat your self bloody, then run to your parents and tell them you think you might have injured your head. Blame it on the nearest bus station. This way its not YOUR fault your half retarded.
    Sorry but with the information you have givin me, this is the best i could do.

13. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok, I suffer from a condition where I can't pee in public restrooms when people are present or even sometimes I freak myself out so much that I can't go even when people aren't present.

I know this sounds stupid but I was bullied when I was 9 whenever I was in the bathroom by older kids and I just trained myself to never go in public restrooms. I have kept this a secret for my whole life.

14. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

There was a thread on that awhile back, was that yours?

15. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

ive heard about this before.. a couple times actually. has the problem ever actually been a problem or just a concern? im not sure if that made sense haha but what i mean is.. i choose to not use public restrooms so i could live without them.. have you been in a pressing situation where you actually need to use the public restroom and couldn't?

also do you get nervous that someone might be peeking over? or is it just the idea of having other people around?

16. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

It's been a problem. I am active, I do basketball, baseball, cross country, and go on road trips but sometimes I hold it for 20+ hours because I can't go. I just beat myself to death thinking about going in a restroom with people in it.

I don't care if people see my penis. I take regular showers in the YMCA, I don't care. It's just I can't go...

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Check your school. Remember that Dr.-Patient privilege means that your parents might know that you are going, but they can't get information about that.

18. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Why not ask your parents for a therapist without revealing your condition? You don't have to tell no one. Just tell them you need a therapy. Most parents would understand their teenage kids and gladly find a therapist. Or, talk to someone in your school about it in confidential and see how they can help you.

19. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Time to say things to make other people feel better!

In the bathroom, I enjoy sitting more than standing because I'm lazy.

20. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

What you've described isn't that uncommon, to varying degrees. I had a milder form of it until going away to college made me have to go! ;) I spent my entire childhood waiting until I was home to go to the bathroom. But my situation was more a STRONG preference than a "HAVE to go at home," and I had times where I had no choice and could go. Sounds like you've tried and can't, right?

Anyway, so here's what I found:

From http://www.beachpsych.com/pages/cc68.html:
    And here are the sites devoted to the issue: http://www.paruresis.org/ and http://www.shybladder.org/

Have you seen the A&E show "Obsessed?" It's about OCD, which is a different form of anxiety disorder, but they have cognitive behavior therapists who do the exposure therapy the article talks about. I would think that you'd need some sort of insurance--which means parental involvement--for professional care. Good luck.

21. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Hmm that sucks. I suggest telling your parents about it even though you might think that your problem is stupid or something. At least, you get the help you need even if you need to jump through hoops with your parents to get it.

22. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

TSE! My advise to you is to talk with your parents. i have anxiety too and i tried to hide it and it did me no good at all.

You need the support of your peers, no one should think any less of you. Your only human.

23. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

You should be able to talk confidentially with your school's guidance counselor. You can ask him or her specifically if the conversation will be confidential, before you start. He or she should be able to tell you what your options are as far as getting help without your parents' involvement, or what your rights are in your state in regard to getting medical help without divulging details to your parents.

I know, though, that not all guidance counselors are good at what they do. :(. And if it's a small town where everyone knows each other, then it doesn't feel very confidential anyway.

There's probably somewhere you can call anonymously in Minnesota, to get information and / or help with this. Your local library will probably have an "Ask a Librarian" service that you can access by chat or email, and if your particular library doesn't, then just google "Ask a librarian minnesota" and a bunch of hits will come up. A service like that will be able to look up any free health care options for teens, and tell you if you can use them without your folks' knowledge.

And finally - for your folks to be able to do the best possible job as parents, they need as much info about what's going on with you as possible. Just so that's said. In most cases, it's best that parents are kept in the loop. But if you do end up having to tell your folks in order to get help, just do it. You may be surprised to find out that they DON'T think you're a loser. And if they do, well, they're wrong. Just remember that, and look on it simply as doing what you have to do in order to have a better quality of life.

Good luck. :) Let us know how it goes.

24. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

"Psycho-sematic auditory hallucinations. Some people have to pay for such a thing."

[​IMG]

You're name wouldn't happen to be Calvin would it?

In all seriousness, because I couldn't resist the joke, you need to talk to your parents. They can help I'm sure. And they should want to help you feel more comfortable in public.