Emergency MacPro HELP! PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by darthraige, Apr 22, 2008.

1. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

My new MacPro has been working flawlessly for 4 months. I decide to bring it to work and it won't start up at all. It just hangs on the gray apple screen with the thingy spinning. Any way around this? This is really making me mad. Not sure why it would be doing this. Any suggestions would be great! :(

-Raige

2. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

3. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

Tried that. Didn't work. :( The drive shows up when I hold down the option key, is there a way to get to disk utility without the DVD install disc? When I connect a FireWire cable to another computer I can see all the disks. I'm wondering if I can run disk utility on the other computer to try and repair??

4. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

I have had a similar problem with my iMac. Sometimes OSX does not like the peripherals you have plugged in. In my case it was an iPod and after that was external speakers. So, try this.. unplug everything possible and power up. With the Pro the culprit may be an internal HD, so you may try removing all but the boot drive and see if it powers up. Then, if that works power down and plug them back in 1 at a time.

5. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

You don't think it could be the fact it's looking for the new aluminum keyboard, do ya? That would be really strange. I will try that after repairing the disk.

6. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

yeah that will work fine. just run it from another comp. with your mac pro as target. dont forget permissions.

7. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

Welp, none of the above ideas worked. That sucks. Wish I had my Leopard disc with me today.

8. waremaster macrumors 6502

You mentioned you are at work. Why not ask the IT department for an XP install CD and just see if the machine will boot to it. Nevermind I see the machine does see all drives. It is in need of Disk repair util.

9. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

lol ... I work at a place that's strictly Mac and we didn't upgrade to Leopard yet. I brought the machine to show off the power, and I can't haha. That and the IT department would be me. lol And there is only like 6 people that work here. lol

The Windows side of my machine works fine. It's the Mac OS that is not working. :-(

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Try booting in verbose mode so you can see where it is hanging at, cmd + v when booting. You could also try running fsck in single user mode, cmd + s when booting. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492

Or boot into safe mode and run diskutil then.

Edit: when booted into safe mode after running diskutil you can also delete extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache from /System/Library, do not delete the Extensions folder just these two files. You will be asked for your password. This will not hurt anything just on the next boot it will force your computer to rebuild it's driver list for the hardware currently connected.

11. GotPro macrumors 6502

Question... had you disabled Journaling? If you had journaling enabled, fsck won't do anything for you. If you had disabled it, you might need to run fsck.

12. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

when in target disk mode does everything show up as a disk correctly? meaning is the system folder in the right place and all same with the user folders.

and last thing to try
    remove all the harddrive and put in just the mac one and try booting. then move it to a different slot.

13. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

Hangs up here...

gregory-constantines-mac-pro com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder[18]): posix_spawnp("usr/sbin/mDNSResponder", ...): No such file or directory

What does that mean?

Edit - Safe mode didn't work either.

14. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

Tried all that. Everything is in the right place. Bays all working properly. Man this is frustrating.

15. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I feel for you...

the same thing happened to me literally yesterday!!!!

I tried everything, reset PRAM, SMC, took out ram, unplugged every peripheral, did and Apple Hardware test, i booted from Leopard disc and could see all my drives, system profiler reported everything a-ok.....

...so i called applecare (Always my last resort, im fairly capable with macs now)

They were stumped too and suggested to archive and install from the leopard disc, saying that when i last shut it down something must've been overwritten by accident.

So and hour or so later, Archive and Install, and all is fine!

Had to reformat my Time Machine drive as i wouldn't backup the new system!

all i can say is this may be your solution, good luck.

16. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

does your other computers have leopard?(needs to be intel)

if they do put them into target disk mode and then plug it into your mad pro. then start up your mac pro while holding option and see if the target shows up as a boot disk. then see if you can use that to repair it.

or try to clone that start up drive on to your mac pro. yeah this should only be done in extreme emergency. it might cause more problems.

17. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

If you google that error there are lots of hits and forum posts. here is one that may work if you can get to the drive.

>>replace IONETWORKINGFAMILY.KEXT

KykcNov 4 2007, 01:34 PM
    Thanks, that worked! Now both LAN cards (built-in and PCI) works, but.. Average speed is aproximately 3.5-3.0 kb/s. Wtf? JaS 10.4.8 works perfectly on my hardware..
    --

Solved! At Last! I've installed PCGenRTL8139Ethernet-1.2.0 into IONetworkingFamily PlugIns and it did the trick

18. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Where do you work ?
    I'm in the area ;)

19. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

Video Production company just north of Boston.

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

It's unlikely to boot in it's current condition. Damage to your file structure has left a piece of Darwin's library out in the cold. It can't find the file, therefore it hangs.

Restart with the shift key down from the point of boot. This does a number of things including a forced self-diagnostic. It'll eventually get you to the safe-boot screen. Let it run, this often takes a few minutes.

If it won't let you get there you'll need Disk Warrior to rebuild your directory structures. If things have deteriorated beyond a critical point you'll need Data Rescue to scavenge the disk. I doubt that's necessary though.

A quick solution would be to do a restore-install but I don't recommend it because it would do nothing for any other file structure damage.

If you're curious, the file in question is networking esoterica.

21. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

I'm gonna try something different. I will report back in a few minutes.

22. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

Yea nothings working here. Still can't get into safe mode. I guess I will just have to archive and install when I get home... If I have all my programs on here, and dont want to install them again, archive and install takes care of that in the end?

23. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

yes archive install works great. you do not need to reinstall your apps. it merely reinstalls the OS all apps and user dir stay intact. i had to do it a couple months back due to leopard upgrade over tiger not working well. it's fast and should fix any OS file related problem you may have.

24. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

But does it put them in a archive folder and stay there or does it eventually put it all back in the current applications folder when its done?