iPad employee purchase iPads: snoop software?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kleiko, Jun 12, 2013.

1. kleiko macrumors newbie

So, I've got a friend who worked for a tech company. When he was laid off, his iPad started to act up; amongst other things, he had trouble getting access to the internet even off a home network or a free wifi location.

Given the fact that tech companies have been giving information to the US government, is there any possibility that iPads purchased through a non-Apple employee purchase program might have non-Apple snoop software installed, so that an employer can snoop on its employees, whether for business or pleasure? And that such snoop software might interfere with a user when employment is lost?

(Naturally, when I posted this question on an Apple forum, it was pulled 30 seconds later.)

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Honestly, I think it's unlikely, and that tech companies sharing information with the government is completely unrelated. Tell your friend to restore his iPad and set up as new.

3. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Interesting how quick one is to suggest this act which in theory would most likely destroy any such software....

Old sayings: power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. There are no just coincidences....

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

And what would your suggestion be?

5. Internaut macrumors 6502a

If your friend was connecting his iPad to the corporate Exchange server, then at most the employer would requested permission to encrypt and remotely erase the device. The encryption can effect performance. There should be no corporate software on the iPad that your friend didn't explicitly allow the employer to install.

It's easy enough to be paranoid, but this implies the employer is competent to do the things you fear. This is rarely the case. Besides, job of dealing with real, actual threats is trouble enough, for the average corporate security department of your average tech company.

6. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Seems to me that it is relatively easy nowadays to use the word paranoid, but when the land of the free, has leaders that lie to the people, just what is actually unreasonable? What we now know is Apple is participating unquestionably in our US government's spy system. That Apple has attempted to deceive us about their involvement. That apple prefers to have an IOS system that is closed to its users. That apple has gone to court to try and stop us from looking at the actual iOS contents. That apple tells us the cloud is **good**, but for just whom is it good? That everything on our device is transmitted over the Internet and backup on apple's servers? That apple wants to control what software we have on our devices. That in many ways apple has become more Orwellian than Microsoft! Who now days actually takes the time to read all of the pages that we agree to? We have trusted apple, and sadly apple has proven unworthy of that trust, in my opinion.

Did apple show it's hand in the slow down of data throughput?

Just who really owns the device we paid for after we pay for it? Kind of like AT&T & apple telling us it has an unlimited data plan, that has all kinds of significant data limits! Just like AT&T telling us how we may use our DATA after we have bought it.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

An employer buying iPads for employees (meaning the iPads get delivered to the company first) can control those iPads to a large degree. They can do that because they own them. A company giving employees cash to buy iPads can't do that, unless employees sign up voluntarily.

Whatever you think to be fact is at this time just an unproven accusation. If it were fact, then it would be totally unrelated to your "friends" problems and therefore total paranoia.

And remember: If you think Apple are spying on you, then they aren't. If they wanted to spy on you, you wouldn't notice.

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Pull the SIM card of it has one, restore it as new. Done deal and no more worrying.

9. dave420 macrumors 65816

Do you have more information on this so called large control of other people's iPads? Can I do the same to somebody I loan my iPad to?

10. nancyfromafrica macrumors member

Yes it can be possible that an employer is trying to spy on employee which is a common way track an employees work. The best way to get out of this is to use some antivirus app which will detect such trojan or reinstall the os.

11. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Okay, if he was issued this iPad, and then bought it, it probably has something like Citrex Xen Mobile MDM, or some similar management software. When he was cut lose, they should have decommissioned it. He could call the IT department and ask. He could also take it to Apple and complain about performance issues and possibly get a new one.

12. pat park macrumors 6502a

antivirus app for iPad? can you suggest one?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are no viruses or other malware for iOS in the wild, unless your device is jailbroken.

14. pat park macrumors 6502a

Oh I know, I was being facetious. The person I quoted suggested anti virus app. Thus my thumbs down.

15. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Seems to me that the OP's intent is to create an anti-government/privacy debate rather than discuss his imaginary friends ipad issue.