Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
On new iPhone 12 Pro. The location arrow (hollow) is always on?

I made the location services identical on my wife’s phone and hers doesn’t show. Does this cause more battery drain?

Ideas?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
On new iPhone 12 Pro. The location arrow (hollow) is always on?

I made the location services identical on my wife’s phone and hers doesn’t show. Does this cause more battery drain?

Ideas?
It's probably weather. Maybe because of an Apple Watch or a weather widget. Go to Settings, Privacy, Location Services and you will see what is using the location. Look for a colored in location icon.
251E3A6C-9317-463E-9976-6630E7244748.jpeg

hashsi99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I think it’s my nest app. I have it set to always to determine when I leave / return to house.
Does the hollow area drain battery?

oryan_dunn

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2020
I have this issue as well. If I turn off location for the weather app, it'll go away. Another way I can make it go away is by putting my apple watch on the charger. I don't recall it always being on like this, but I have a feeling it has to do with the watch and weather complication. On the watch, if I slide up the control center, there is a hollow purple arrow there, so not sure why it causes the hollow arrow on the phone as well.

oryan_dunn

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2020
Here's a way to know which apps accessed your location:

Thanks for the link, in my case, it's definitely the weather app and most likely the weather app complication on my watch.

After posting here, I found a few other threads discussing this issue

I don't know if it was always like this, if so, I guess I didn't notice before. It seems that the watch complication should work the same as the weather widget and only need to request it periodically, and in the case of the watch, the arrow should show up on the watch and not the phone. At the very least, there should be an option in the phone's location services to not show it if the watch is using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.