Empty trash doesn't make trash sound anymore in SL?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Greenhoe, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

My 09 Mac Pro trash won't make the normal trash sound when emptying the trash in SL. Does anyone know if this is for all SL users or how I can turn it back on? I like hearing the sound and don't like the fact that I have a glitch if this is one. Thanks

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Make sure "Play user interface sound effects" is checked, "Play sound effects through:" is set to the appropriate output device, and the Alert volume is up enough to hear.

The settings are in System Preferences > Sound, Sound Effects.

If they're all set correctly, try unchecking "Play user interface sound effects", then checking it again.

(The sound effect works fine on two installs of SL here.)

3. Greenhoe thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, Fixed it thanks, i didn't have the correct output selected under "play sound effects through"

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Glad that did it.

btw - if you didn't find it yet, you can get to the input/output devices right in the menu bar by opt-clicking on the sound icon. It's kinda nice if you're running multiple devices.

5. pato2110 macrumors newbie

same problem

hi, i have OS X 10.5.8 on my new macbook pro and the trash sound automatically went off. it doesn't make a sound when i put stuff into the trash, when i empty the trash or even when i'm in sound preferences and click on the different types of alert sounds (frog, basso, etc.) i didn't do anything to turn them off, they just didnt work one day randomly. i tried what is posted here but my "Play sound effects through:" box is set to internal speakers and is gray and inhabilitated. everything else looks ok. I'd hate for this to be a glitch when i just bought this mac 2 months ago. thanks

6. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

7. pato2110 macrumors newbie

that was the first thing i tried and ruled out.

8. pato2110 macrumors newbie

anyone else have any other advice? please? thanx