Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjrankin83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
Can somebody explain to me how to turn on tap to click without using a mouse? My trackpad clicker no longer works. I'm not very good at macs so please keep this in mind.
thanks

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

"Control-F7" will toggle Full Keyboard Access for All Controls. Once there, you should be able to select menu items, buttons, and controls with "space". Move between controls and buttons with "tab".

(note: To get "F7" instead of the << control (or other dedicated control, depending on model), you need to press the "Fn" key along with control.)

rjrankin83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
thanks for your reply. I'm new to macs so excuse my ignorance. My mac is a 2006 macbook i've got the keyboard & mouse option open but am unable to click the clicking button ironically enough. i'm on another computer all together right now because i'm unable to do anything without this mouse. i've attempted your suggestion to no avail. when i use the space to click the clicking button it gives me a "that's not going to work" noise

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
thanks for your reply. I'm new to macs so excuse my ignorance. My mac is a 2006 macbook i've got the keyboard & mouse option open but am unable to click the clicking button ironically enough. i'm on another computer all together right now because i'm unable to do anything without this mouse. i've attempted your suggestion to no avail. when i use the space to click the clicking button it gives me a "that's not going to work" noise

That means the "All Controls" option for Full Keyboard Access isn't enabled. Try hitting fn-ctrl-F7 again (once).

There isn't a separate option for "Full Keyboard Access" in 10.6, but fn-ctrl-F1 toggles it in earlier versions (I only have 10.6 at the moment, and it has no affect on Full Keyboard Access).

rjrankin83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
That means the "All Controls" option for Full Keyboard Access isn't enabled. Try hitting fn-ctrl-F7 again (once).

There isn't a separate option for "Full Keyboard Access" in 10.6, but fn-ctrl-F1 toggles it in earlier versions (I only have 10.6 at the moment, and it has no affect on Full Keyboard Access).

still getting the same noise when i hit the spacebar. Am i supposed to be getting anything, a notice, after pressing fn-ctrl-F1? all it does when i press that combo of buttons is the F1's control which is dim my screen

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
still getting the same noise when i hit the spacebar. Am i supposed to be getting anything, a notice, after pressing fn-ctrl-F1? all it does when i press that combo of buttons is the F1's control which is dim my screen

If F1 is dimming your screen when you press the "Fn" button, then you have your "F" keys defaulted to "enabled", rather than the system controls (brightness, volume, etc.). If that's the case, you only need to press "ctrl-F7" - without the Fn key.

rjrankin83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
still just getting a noise rather than a click from my spacebar.....i do appriciate the help though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.