Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
New release, version 1.1. Releases info added to first post.

This fixes the cosmetic only issue of the first lines of macOS verbose boot text running over the picker GUI (https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/2225 https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/2229). This also applied to verbose boot after the native picker, using the original release of EnableGop.

@tsialex @Macschrauber As promised I have included the EnableGop version number in the UI section. This can be seen easily with UEFITool. @Macschrauber since you wish to extract and display this info in your tool, I believe you would have to use something like UEFIExtract from LongSoft https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool/releases .

CMCook

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2019
Have you tried switching between DisplayPort 1.1 and DisplayPort 1.2 settings on your monitor? If that's what matters, you typucally need to have the right one selected already _before_ you start the machine.
and @h9826790 I was able to test all of my graphics cards outputs on different monitors and can confirm that all is well with the EnableGop firmware injection on my machine. All 3 types of output (HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI) worked as expected with a 1920x1080 monitor. DisplayPort also worked on my 4k monitor if I configured it down to DP 1.1

Must be some oddity of the high resolution over DisplayPort with my specific monitor/graphics card combination that makes it not display properly. As I was paying more attention to my monitor while booting I noticed that it came out of sleep when I would have expected it to properly display the boot picker, but it would never display anything and then go back to sleep.

I'll just remember to keep my HDMI cable around in case I need to use the picker in the future.

Thanks!

Reactions: Macschrauber

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Interesting result. This was a problem long time ago. When we try to boot HD7950 (with the native Mac EFI UGA from Sapphire) on any DP 1.2 monitor, it will hang. We are forced to use DP 1.1 (which limit the referesh rate to 30Hz at 4K) during boot. But I didn't expect this is still a limitation when we using EnableGop on a RX580.

There are so many RX580 users in this community. May be someone can report back if they can boot with a DP 1.2 connection from a RX580 after EnableGop is injected.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
I wonder if it can also be to do with the monitor, or monitor/card combination? As there's obviously some active negotiation going on, rather than the GPU just setting up a mode and sending it for anyone who will listen.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Fyi: Its even possible a DP 1.2 display can lock up the early boot process.

Had that with a customer running a DP1.2 display on a UGA flashed Kepler GPU some time ago. The box even did not survived POS. Say it didnt chime with a DP1.2 display connected.

• Wow
Reactions: Bmju

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
@tsialex @Macschrauber As promised I have included the EnableGop version number in the UI section. This can be seen easily with UEFITool. @Macschrauber since you wish to extract and display this info in your tool, I believe you would have to use something like UEFIExtract from LongSoft https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool/releases .

done,

Version 25-2-2023 lists the EnableGop version if present. Also did now (thanks to UEFIExtract) a full checksum scan thru all parts of the firmware file (~180 CRC32 checksums).

DD525D51-FAD4-4BEA-9875-AB7DFBDAB5FB.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: MacNB2 and Bmju

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
@Bmju and Team ....outstanding job !

I just followed verbatim @cdf's Appendix: Native boot screen support guide and like to report the following results using some GPU's I have:
  1. Zotac GT240 👎
  2. Zotac GT730 👍
  3. Sapphire HD7770 OC 2GB 👍
  4. MSI RX460 OC 2GB 👍
  5. Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB 👍
I tried these on my "spare" virgin MacPro4,1 that is, untouched by OpenCore ;)
The system has High Sierra installed.

I used EnableGop.ffs

1. Zotac GT240. No boot screen 👎.
Blind boots straight into High Sierra.
Holding Alt/Option Key on power-up as normal - black screen. Hitting Enter key boots last OS.
This GPU has HDMI, DVI and VGA connecters. Non produce boot screen.

2. Zotac GT730. Success 👍
Holding Alt/Option key at power-up brings Startup Manager. But it's stretched on my 4K monitor:

IMG_4808.jpeg

Looks like it defaults to 1280 x 1024:
IMG_4810.jpeg

I seem to recall that when I used this GPU in one of my hackintoshes, OpenCore bootpicker did the same.
So seems "normal" as it does not have 16:9 modes
This GPU has HDMI, DVI & VGA.
I could not test VGA (as I have stored away the VGA monitor).
HDMI & DVI work in the Startup Manager.
No artefacts and smooth mouse motion and animation.

3. Sapphire HD7770. Success 👍
This GPU had 2x Mini DP's, HDMI and DVI.

Startup Manager on HDMI:

IMG_4830.jpeg

Startup Manager on Mini DP (higher resolution) :

IMG_4831.jpeg

High Sierra boots but the screen out remains grey and all ports.
This GPU worked fine on a Hackintosh booted via OpenCore and so should work on this MacPro4,1 (with OpenCore).

4. MSI RX 460 2GB. Success 👍
This GPU has HDMI, DP and DVI.
All three ports work.
Again, DP produces higher resolution Startup Manager display.

5. Sapphire RX 580 8G. Success 👍
This GPU has 2x HDMI, 2x DP and DVI.
All ports work (well I tried one at a time).
Again, DP produces higher resolution Startup Manager display.

The Dell monitor used in these tests was S2721QS and its DP is 1.2 which cannot be configured to 1.1

IMHO, this method has the advantage of having the one GOP in the Mac for many GPU's as opposed to flashing each GPU that you may want to work with the Mac.
That is, I just found 4 unflashed GPU's that display boot screen.
Super happy.

Again great work guys.

UPDATE: added EnableGop on my second MacPro that had Reconstructed BootROM and flashed it. Working great on RX 580.

Last edited:

Henninges

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2017
Helmstedt / Germany
just another successfull injection here on my crossflashed 4,1...

following cards was tested and showed nativ bootscreen:

- nvidia quadro k600
- amd gigabyte hd7970
- amd sapphire hd7970
- msi airboost vega 56 oc
- amd rx 6800
- ati firepro v4800 (after injecting a GOP EFI with GOPupd)

what a nice feeling to drop any (more or less modern card) and see the nativ bootpicker.

not figured out yet to add the EnableGOP.efi to an vbios...just copy and paste the file to an existing VBIOS at the bytes, where the implemented GOP part beginns?

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Henninges said:
what a nice feeling to drop any (more or less modern card) and see the nativ bootpicker.
Well I guess - since I didn't do the bit of making it work with so many cards (that was already done, in OpenCore), even though I did do the bit of working out how to inject that into the BIOS - I'm just about allowed to say that I agree, it is a nice feeling, isn't it? And it does reassuringly 'just work' for the vast majority of cards! :)

not figured out yet to add the EnableGOP.efi to an vbios...just copy and paste the file to an existing VBIOS at the bytes, where the implemented GOP part beginns?
There is a script for Nvidia vBIOS in the distribution directory. Or read the links specified in the README.md also in the distribution directory.

EDIT: Although there's usually no real reason - except for a sense of curiosity - to do this on the Mac Pro; unlike on the iMac where a) it is not possible to do the first ever flash of main firmware without external hardware, and b) more often than on the Mac Pro, additional bits of flashing are needed for the various cards used there to work properly, even within OpenCore.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdf and Henninges

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Hi, will it work with a GTX1070 8G from MSI ?
From my own limited testing of this particular question, and understanding so far, MSI is exactly equivalent to same model AMD for the purposes of this driver.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
just another successfull injection here on my crossflashed 4,1...

following cards was tested and showed nativ bootscreen:

- nvidia quadro k600
- amd gigabyte hd7970
- amd sapphire hd7970
- msi airboost vega 56 oc
- amd rx 6800
- ati firepro v4800 (after injecting a GOP EFI with GOPupd)

May I know if your RX6800 is flashed with the Syncretic fix?

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
EDIT: Although there's usually no real reason - except for a sense of curiosity - to do this on the Mac Pro; unlike on the iMac where a) it is not possible to do the first ever flash of main firmware without external hardware, and b) more often than on the Mac Pro, additional bits of flashing are needed for the various cards used there to work properly, even within OpenCore.

Flashing the GPU for Mac Pro will make it usable only on the Mac and may not be possible to use it later on another non-Mac PC

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Flashing the GPU for Mac Pro will make it usable only on the Mac and may not be possible to use it later on another non-Mac PC
I believe @Henninges is right, although I have not tried it myself, others have also reported that this still works fine in a PC.

I was not specifically trying to achieve that, but I can see how it _could_ be okay in PCs - given certain pre-conditions about how PC BIOSes would need to behave, which I have never checked either way - so I am happy to take others testing as evidence that it does work fine!

Reactions: Henninges

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
I believe @Henninges is right, although I have not tried it myself, others have also reported that this still works fine in a PC.

I was not specifically trying to achieve that, but I can see how it _could_ be okay in PCs - given certain pre-conditions about how PC BIOSes would need to behave, which I have never checked either way - so I am happy to take others testing as evidence that it does work fine!
Me too. Never tried it either.
I still have Mac's original GT120....might try that later in a PC

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Me too. Never tried it either.
Lol!

Well I did write the driver, and coordinate initial testing, so I guess it's kind of relevant what I have and have not tested - and what I know about what others have tested, even if I didn't test it myself... (Btw, the driver is pretty comprehensively tested - but even if it had NOT worked on PCs, I wouldn't have considered that a huge drawback: the idea is to get these cards working for pre-boot graphics on these machines, so that fact that it does still work on PCs afterwards is a bonus, the way I see it!)

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNB2

ber404

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2020
From my own limited testing of this particular question, and understanding so far, MSI is exactly equivalent to same model AMD for the purposes of this driver.
Thanks a lot, and should it work with this firmware ?

MP51.007F.B03

I don't know if I can install a more recent firmware with High Sierra without installing Mojave ..

Bmju

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks a lot, and should it work with this firmware ?

MP51.007F.B03

I don't know if I can install a more recent firmware with High Sierra without installing Mojave ..
No! Completely untested and probably not. I would strongly advise upgrading to 144.0.0.0.0.

However, if you're happy to recover yourself from a brick if need be (desoldering followed CH341A + SOIC clip, or Matt card - and with a firmware backup taken before starting) then (but only then!) I'd be very happy to hear the result...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.