Enabling built in tethering option?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chrisrokc, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

Trying to skip out on buying MyWi for my iPhone 4. Anyone working on how to enable the stock tethering system w/out going through AT&T?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You need to buy the plan from AT&T. I don't think that the hacks work now.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yeah, I believe they only worked for the early versions of 3.0.

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I believe the new file to "hack" is the USBEthernetSharing file. The CommCenter patch no longer works for iOS4; at least with iPhone4.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Until it gets updated it won't.

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I know, that's what I'm saying. I believe the file that needs to be modified to enable tethering is the USBEthernetSharing file on the iPhone itself. I'll be playing around with it tomorrow to see what I can find.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Please do, I don't want MyWi. Not because it's paid, but because it uses Wi-Fi and it causes huge batery drain (even though it's plugged).

8. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

In mywi you can chose either wifi or USB tether.

9. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Mywi has greatly improved wifi and battery usage through their code. You can even control the wifi strength that your phone puts out, saving even more battery. Pony up the $20 for an excellent application.

Yea.. and mywi provides usb tether as well. Now you're out of excuses.

10. The General macrumors 601

On 3.1.1, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3, we had to hexedit the commcenter to disable carrier update signature checking or whatever.

lol

11. The General macrumors 601

I have an unlimited data plan. I'll use my data however I want.

12. felt. macrumors 6502a

you can get mywi for free if you can google..just sayin :)

13. hunter x az macrumors member

Thats cool. I guess guy who works a minimum wage job robs a bank cuz he doesn't make enough but has to feed his family. Still unethical.

14. MizztaPeppa macrumors newbie

MizztaPeppa

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It doesn't need any hacking. I have MyWi working 100% on my jailbroken iPhone 4 on 4.0. I posted this on my MBP using MyWi on USB.

16. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

MyWi should have bluetooth tethering too, at least the old version did I loved that.

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I don't see an option for bluetooth in MyWi 4.0. Only USB and WiFi.

18. The General macrumors 601

I have an unlimited data plan. I'll use said data however I want.

How is this at all like robbing a bank to feed my family?

If the bank promised me a unlimited amount of money, then your analogy might apply somehow. And whats unethical about robbing money from a federally insured bank in order to feed your family? Would you rather they starve? Illegal, yes. Unethical? Not really.

19. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

There is a hack floating around that works as you want. You can find the file on xsellize. Lots of command line needed so it's not for the faint of heart.

First you need to patch the commcenter via a debian patch. Then you need edit your carrier plist and internet tethering settings manually via ssh.

It works - I have tethering enabled on my 4G with 4.01 on A&T and have never installed mywi or any trial.

20. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

lol this just might be the worst analogy ever.

21. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

more like guy paid for all the food in the world but is not allowed to share with his wife and kids. he paid for the food, he should be allowed to feed his family. i believe the other party is who is being "unethical." ;)

22. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I would like to do this as well... I had native tethering enabled on my old 3.2 iPhone 3G and it was great. Not really interested in all of the bells and whistles that come with MyWi, and I am a big fan of bluetooth tethering as well. Diode, any chance you can post a link to the instructions you followed? Many thanks!

23. mcmonkiez macrumors member

I manage to get my tethering system work without going through Orange UK or using Mywifi or MyWi thingeee..

Well here what i did.

go to settings and then network you should have option called Setup Internet tethering and when you click on it you get message saying contact At&T to setup internet tethering.. I get Contact orange UK to enable internet tethering.

I have another payngo sim card which I inserted in my iPhone and click check for update on itunes it downloaded new carrier update file and ask me to update.. which i did. and i went to settings again and network and i notice my tethering option was enable instead of having setup internet tethering option..
    then i click on on internet tethering and eject my pay and go sim card and inserted my contract orange sim card. since then i have restarted my iphone 4 as well as use internet tethering without any problem.. save me paying £5 to orange uk network as well as dont want to use myWI...

try that i am sure it will work for you...

make sure At&T sim card you use is payasyou go and have some credit on it. and click check for update it will download new carrier update just for your iphone 4.

I have attached the update carrier file i got from itunes which enable my internet tethering make sure when it does click enable and insert ur at&T sim .

you can update that from via itunes manually.

download the attached file and change the ext from txt to .ipcc

Attached Files:

24. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

This will get you started...

http://xsellize.com/topic/74123-patch-for-commcenter-ios4-v401-on-3g3gs4g/