Encryption, Privacy, Security for files and folders in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackfrost123, Sep 20, 2008.

1. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I am looking for freeware/shareware and proffesional options to protect my privacy from prying eyes. I am looking for something as simple (and obviously easily breakable) as a password to add to certain folder and something very advanced and unbreakable (yet easy as possible in terms of usability) for encrypiton algorithms. Any heads up much appreciated!

2. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

You can use disk utility!

Select, Disk from Folder under File > New > Disk from Folder.

This will encrypt your files with a password(a disk image will be created).

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Disk Utility, create a new disk image, choose whatever size and encryption you want.

4. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Gusius thanks! (I am from Greece too, I ll add you to the buddy list) Hey Gnasher!

Thanks guys. Great help.

I am also looking though for something as simple as adding a password to a folder without turning it into an image.

5. kurutsu macrumors newbie

Try Truecrypt

Truecrypt is open-source and is available for Mac, Windows and Linux.

6. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

Disk utility is great for Mac and Truecrypt is also an option especially if you want to be able to open the encrypted disk image on other platform. I am using Truecrypt on my USB drive and I can use it on my Leopard and at work on XP. It also has hidden image option which gives even more protection. Since it's free definetaly worth a try...

8. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

9. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

hey tamas, I will definately give it a try, hey gus, I am looking at your link, thanks!

I was also looking for something with very rudimentary protection, just a password for a folder, in case a coworker decides to check you out....anything like that?

10. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I remember an app called hide folder which hides your folder. You can only see him by running the app and then it ask you for a password. After that you can see which one you want to hide/unhide.

Don't know if that helps...

11. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

I tried Hide Folders also but it's not free and it doesn't encrypt the files just changes the file attributes to hidden so it's pretty easy to acces them you just have to make the hidden files visible - but of corse it can be enough in some cases...

12. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok guys I see, yeah I ve heard abou it, still for some uses it's better to not go to the full lengths of encruptions but just have something that is just practical and simple.

Does OS X have some built in password setting capacity for folders as the user rights in unix, sudo etc?

13. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

As far as know there is no other built in option than encrypted disk image with Disk Utility. It's very easy to use and if you create a sparseimage you will set the max size and the image size will be as big as the data it contains. It will grow up to the max size that you set.