End All Best Hosting Service (GoDaddy Content)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by harryhood, Sep 17, 2011.

1. harryhood macrumors regular

GoDaddy is the worst hosting service there is. I can't wait to get off this crap.

So sick of dealing with this!

Anyone have any recommendation for the best hosting service?

Is there any service thats unanimously regarded as the best?

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

3. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

Looks pretty cool, but I already have multiple pre-existing, completed and managed websites.

Two main things I'm looking for:

- Hassle free hosting
    - Quality Email Handling (don't know the proper terminology, but I want my email to get to people without being spammed from ****** handling of the host! I've mediated this by signing up for google business but it costs me $10 per email account, GoDaddy is notorious for blacklisting email and all sorts of bad ****)

----------

- UNREAL poor customer service
    - Hands down the worst website I have ever used (navigation-wise)
    - Notorious for screwing up the email, all my email accounts go to SPAM/JUNK from day one, they will do nothing to help. Many other people I know have the same problem. I'll look for it, but there were a bunch of threads on GoDaddy's OWN forums started by customers complaining about how their emails were all screwed up, going to SPAM/JUNK etc, they locked each and every thread after blaming it on their customers..

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Well I just started hosting with godaddy...if you find something nice comparable in price post it here please. I agree navigation of the website is next to impossible but I have yet to have any problems with customer service...probably because I just signed up. The middle hosting package they offer is pretty nice though for what you get. SquareSpace is pretty expensive though.

5. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Dropped GoDaddy years ago for

Bluehost.com

Dreamhost.com

Two different providers under the guise of not having all of ones eggs in one basket.

I do like square space too, and will be giving them another try for a certain application.

6. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but is Squarespace worthwhile for pre-exisiting websites and management?

It does look like they offer many great features, but I am would only really be using it to host.

7. blunti macrumors 6502a

my problem with squarespace is that for $240 you dont get ftp access, can't upload files that are more in size than 20 megs and multiple domains/subdomains are somewhat limited.

8. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds pretty dumb...

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I will have to look in to these once I get my dead website up and running again. I have godaddy and I HATE it. The site navigation is horrendous and everything you do pops up stuff to have you buy extra.

Not worth the hassle.

10. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The best managed webhosting I've ever had was surprisingly a New Zealand company. Fully redundant datacentre with a 3-way internet connection and 7-day backup generator. I've also been in their datacentre too, they have early-deteciton smoke alarms, clustered VMs etc. They aren't cheap though, but their service is GREAT! I just wish their VPSes were cheaper so I could go back to them. During the Canterbury earthquakes (if overseas even heard about them), they got hit hard with no downtime at all.

www.net24.co.nz

I'm now on a unmanaged VPS provider now though. The company I'm with also does managed hosting, although their tech support is a bit slow at times.

http://www.hostingfuze.com/shared-hosting.php

11. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

I agree about GoDaddy's email handling. That is why I use Google's email. Found the instructions through a web search and converted over. It is fast and reliable now and uses my domain name.

Google has a free portion which is what I'm using. If what is needed is business level, then is it not an expense than can be written off the taxes?

The few times I've had to call in, it was because of problems their maintenance has created. They tried to push it on me to correct their errors but I've pushed back and they have resolved the issue.

I've looked at other hosting sites but all are more expensive than I want to pay at this time.

12. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

13. blunti macrumors 6502a

not to mention that when I called in to inquire about hosting a video tutorial website (after effects/avid) where these video files would be around 70-80 megs, I was advised to host them on youtube/vimeo and then embed it to the hosted website.

I mean wtf? really? I have 4 domains with hosting at godaddy, I'm not saying it's perfect but you get a lot more for your money.

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I found www.000webhost.com which is free. Got it working and it will work for me, not sure if it meets your needs but worth a look.

15. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I would recommend A Small Orange: http://www.asmallorange.com/hosting/

I've been hosted there for 5+ years, and I haven't had a single issue. They give you full FTP/SSH access, plenty of tools, and the best customer support I've ever seen.

They have a number of hosting options, the best (IMO) is the cloud hosting. Cheap, very reliable.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

17. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Shifted from godaddy to hostgator a month ago, couldn't be happier.

18. rhp2424 macrumors regular

rhp2424

I'm with both of these companies. One for personal. One for work. I'm very satisfied with both of them equally.

19. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Knownhost.com

Been using them for a few websites for a couple years and they've been awesome. Good bang for buck too, I think.

And customer service has been great - i'm just a "newbie" really, but they helped get my discussion forum (Vbulletin) installed for me and other things. Really helpful.

I use their VPS service.

20. smetvid macrumors 6502

I must say I rather like godaddy. I have used them for years and really have no problem with their website. Sure it may not be the most glamourous website out there but I have no problem getting in and getting done what needs to get done.

I have also had nothing but top notch customer service with them. Since using them I have had to call them a few times mainly due to my own lack of understanding on how to best do certain things like host multiple domains. They were very helpful and friendly.

My work uses them as a backup server as well. If our main internal server goes down all traffic gets directed to godaddy. I don't use their email but everything else with them is rock solid.

21. manueld macrumors 6502

+1 to Bluehost..Been with them for years and have not had an issue with them

22. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I have two A2hosting accounts, been using them for two years. Great customer service and a decent price with cPanel and unlimited everything. Although I've never used anyone else, so it's hard to compare.

23. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

Any feelings on InMotion hosting? They allegedly won best business hosting for like 10 years in a row or something

24. scott pruett, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2011

scott pruett macrumors newbie

Eleven2. I even dropped them for a year to try another company, but went back. Pricing is solid, customer support is quick (& not outsourced), and their servers are top-notch. Texas-based and awesome. Check them out.