end of the 32-bit era..?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by fisherking, Feb 7, 2019.

1. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

on the latest 10.14.4 public beta, quicktime 7 no longer works (crashes on both my macs), and the essential (for me) XLD also won't open. both, of course, 32-bit apps (adobe 32bit support files still work, apparently).

just reported in the feedback app, but still... anyone else? i know i have to give up these programs with the next OS, but this is still this OS...

2. whoisyourdaddy macrumors regular

XLD was updated for 64-Bit support. Check the developer's page.

https://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

3. fisherking thread starter macrumors 603

fisherking

wow, thanx! i did not find that (was searching on sourceforge..)

EDIT: still, tho, QT7 seems dead...

4. KALLT macrumors 601

QuickTime 7 has been deprecated more than a decade ago.

5. fisherking thread starter macrumors 603

fisherking

yes, and worked until the current public beta.

6. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

This is bad news. I'll install the beta on my external ssd to test 32 bit apps that I use. If this is true, then I'll be stuck on 10.14.3 for a long time...

7. KALLT macrumors 601

Still works on 10.14.3 though. Nothing suggests the removal of 32-bit libraries, so the issue may be incidental.

8. fisherking thread starter macrumors 603

fisherking

am wondering about that myself. i did report it... guess we'll find out in the next beta. meanwhile, again, adobe apps (with 32-bit support apps) seem to be ok.

9. whoisyourdaddy macrumors regular

It's possible, like a couple of other macOS system services, those will be replaced/updated whenever the OS version has been fully updated to not support 32-Bit. Whether there's a "mode" for compatibility similar to the 16-Bit Real which was baked into the 32-Bit OS; I can't say for certain. Just a hunch.

10. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

Does Mojave come with some version of QuickTime out of the box?

11. fisherking thread starter macrumors 603

fisherking

of course! quicktime is and has always been there. just... the 'legacy' version has a few unique features. still, as Kallt pointed out, it could be the beta, and QT7 will work again later (but still not in the next OS).

12. KALLT macrumors 601

QuickTime X is the successor to QuickTime 7. The latter continues to work as long as Apple keeps the Carbon and QTKit developer frameworks around. These were not updated for 64-bit architectures and have been marked as deprecated for years now. Unless Apple decides to enhance QuickTime X with the missing features, it will be end of the line for QuickTime 7.

13. fisherking thread starter macrumors 603

fisherking

that's been true since it was announced that the coming OS would be 64-bit only. the point here is that... we're not yet on the 'next OS', so am trying to sort out why QT7 doesn't currently work. and you could be right, it could be a 'moment' related to this week's beta, not an 'absolute' for 10.14.

there's no reason at all to expect a 'bridge' in the next OS to support 32-bit apps!

14. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Because it's a beta and they break thinks on beta all the times.

15. fisherking thread starter macrumors 603

fisherking

right, definitely a possibility. there's also the possibility that these apps won't ever work again; we'll find out for sure with the next beta(s)...