Endless efforts to solve international/global warranty obscurity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emir, Aug 24, 2014.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Hey guys, this is a post about my long time efforts to find answer to the international/global warranty of Apple Stores throughout the world.

I'm a Turkish citizen residing in Turkey but I often have business and relations with the United States. Being a long time Apple user I was very happy to finally get an Apple Store, an official one, in my city (Istanbul/Turkey) just last year. However, having an Apple store didn't make my problems go away, in fact it made them obscure.

Here's the thing. I have an iPhone 5 that is eligible for the lock/power button replacement program Apple currently has. However, Apple Store here says they can't replace nor fix my device despite it being eligible because the internals/software is different, since it was bought in the States. They apparently only help Apple devices bought in Turkey, despite Apple having a global warranty coverage in all its Apple Stores.

After arguing with the Turkish Apple Store for a long time on why that couldn't be the case and Apple ought to have a global warranty all over the world where Apple Stores are present, it came to no avail. So for vacation I went to Amsterdam last month where I brought my phone to an Apple Store as well. There, they said they could get my phone, fix the button as part of the program instead of replacing it because there weren't any other problems with the phone, and give it back to me. However that would take 5 days and I wasn't staying for that long in Amsterdam. So as a solution, they opened the Turkish Apple Store web page in front of me and showed the power/lock button replacement program link. I said they weren't helping because my phone was purchased in the US. They said that the purchase location shouldn't matter at all, and that is the idea that makes sense since Apple is and should definitely be global. So after I went back to Turkey I tried my luck with the call centre and the store again. They swore to me they couldn't replace/fix phones bought in the States and they had contracts/articles that explained it.

So I decided to take it to headquarters and called +1-800-MY-APPLE. The US Apple call centre. After a lengthy talk with them on Skype, I still don't have a clear answer. They said; "They should've helped with the phone but they understand why they wouldn't because it was bought in the States." I went on and asked them the point of having global warranty. They said that their warranties are global but I know this case isn't just for "the replacement program" because I've heard from Turkish communities and friends that they wouldn't help with phones bought in the US despite them being within warranty. Are we supposed to buy our Apple devices from where we live and reside there forever and ever? I want to know about warranty and support coverage internationally because I feel like Apple Stores all around use that "bought elsewhere" excuse to just get away with not helping. Especially with the Turkish Apple store where it's impossible to get appointment nor help nowadays being the "only" store in a country and in the middle of a city with a population of ~17 million.

Anyone have a clear idea on which one's the case? Should I not, never ever buy a phone/tablet/computer outside of Turkey? Are Apple stores only bound to help with products bought within that respective country/continent/zone?

I'm getting really desperate after chasing this for a very long time with very different sources but apparently I'm constantly being misinformed.

Help appreciated. Cheers;

2. I7guy macrumors G5

This is more like a recall than a warranty, since the phone is technically out of warranty. And it sounds from what you describe this is being handled differently than a warranty replacement.

3. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

But it's also the case regarding issues with warranty as I have mentioned in the original post.

So there's an incredible obscurity and Apple Stores all over use this gray area whichever way they like.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

It says on apples site they may restrict warranty repairs to the country where the device was bought.

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/

I'm not sure there is a global warranty policy, although there should be a way to get your device serviced if it breaks out of the country of purchase.

5. bniu macrumors 6502a

Ideally, all iPhones should be unlocked, and universal across all carriers and thus, be a single model with a global warranty everywhere.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There's the problem that iPhones actually _must_ be different in different parts of the world. Depending on where you are, different phone technologies are used, and phone antennas transmit on different frequencies.

7. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

Yes but Apple; being global, huge and all should have the logistics to replace/repair/support all of the versions they make all over the world. Especially if the one bought elsewhere "can" be used at somewhere else, i.e. Not that different.

Also, does that mean Turkish Apple Store will only not cover phones and cellular tablets bought somewhere else? So if I buy a mac, and within its first year global warranty something were to happen to it they should support that in Turkish Apple Store right? I've heard that they don't. That's the thing.

If that's the case it makes Apple a very local company, and we all know that it's not.