Energous Gets FCC Certification for WattUp Wire-Free Charging Technology

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Pfunstuff macrumors member

Pfunstuff

I could see them working with Energous to implement this technology within their AirPower pads.

2. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

I'm sure California will approve this ASAP :rolleyes:

3. kdarling, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    This "technology" is the transmission of microwaves by multiple antennas focused into a relatively short range power cone.

Because it's a radiative method instead of inductive, it's at least an order of magnitude less efficient at charging than using a pad.

I'm struggling to think of a valid use for it. I mean, yeah you could use your device while it's slowly charging, but you'd have to be careful to stay within the 35" arc radius and yet also avoid accidentally moving too far towards the antennas and triggering the 20" safety shutdown. You'd almost need a painted desktop to help out :)

4. napabar macrumors 6502

napabar

That makes zero sense. Apple could have their own charger uses this tech and still sell it at their higher price point.

5. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Can't wait to microwave my cellphone :)

6. Creepitor macrumors regular

Recently I lost faith in FCC.

7. sevvere Suspended

sevvere

This technology will come to your Apple devices 5 years after it has come to other devices, at a higher cost, and Apple will claim to have invented it.

8. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

Because Apple wouldn’t love to sell you an AirPower Plus for $150 bones more o_O.

9. Altis macrumors 68030

That's not even mentioning that the device will have to be in the correct orientation to get any charge at all. :p

This company knows how to get investor/grant funding and make it seem like it's breaking new grounds. I suppose it isn't difficult when it's something people want very much and know little about.

10. leman macrumors G3

Except that all that radiation is not transmitting 10 watts of power. And even in case of more powerful stations you won't be directly in from on them, so the radiation reaching you is magnitudes lower then that.

11. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

A small step, but a step nonetheless, in the right direction.

12. matteuk macrumors newbie

No matter how you look at it this is progression in the right direction, and if your criticising this your just gonna look like a idiot

13. Princejb134 macrumors regular

You must be living in the Stone Age. Do you trust WiFi ?

14. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

Keep selling those chargers they're not even selling yet?

15. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

agreed. ~900Mhz is Microwave frequencies. As kdarling pointed out, very low levels of power, but still, no thanks.

16. RagingBrosGaming Suspended

RagingBrosGaming

I already bought stock for this company yesterday. Thank god

17. kdarling, Dec 27, 2017

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    To anyone with basic knowledge of some fundamental and immutable laws of physics, what's been shown by Energous so far looks very much like part of a continuing scam.

Could there be a way to line the walls and ceiling with many directional antennas and automatic detection of humans/pets, so that many low power beams meet at a device? Sure, expensive, but could be. But such a concept has nothing to do with the raw blunt instrument in this thread.

Yep, even cell towers only use 5-10 Watts for each cell, and they're hundreds or thousands of feet away from us. By the time the data signal reaches us, it's usually in the microwatt range. (*)

Yet to send usable amounts of power to convert to battery charging electricity, this Energous device also has to transmit 10 watts or more, but it's within only a few feet from us! And thus it has to shut off entirely if it detects motion within 20", where the exposure amount would exceed FCC limits.

(*) Which is why it's such idiocy when well meaning but ignorant people say they want fewer cell towers. Fewer towers means cells have to transmit at a higher power, and moreover, so do the phones that we have next to our heads! Our phone's nearby power is many magnitudes higher than what we get back from the tower. Conversely, more towers = less transmitted power needed on both sides.

18. Morgenland, Dec 27, 2017

Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

Wrong!

Has never been used in the history of mankind with this intensity without hesitation !!!!

In many cases, intensity plays an outstanding role in health issues (all high-frequency fields incl. microwave or ultraviolet radiation, particle radiation, radioactivity).

Fear is a bad counselor, but also unscrupulousness is stupid. It would be nice if there were studies on body reactions to permanent stress with high intensity HF.

19. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

True.
    I meant to say keep selling existing ones and they’re going to want to keep selling AirPower after it comes out. :)

20. Morgenland, Dec 27, 2017

Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

21. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Some ambient electromagnetic radiation was always around -- even before electrification started in the 1880s. The difference is power. These things are kicking out far more power than a cell phone valiantly trying to connect to every cell phone tower from the overhead compartment at 30,000 feet.

Include me out. I don't want to be anywhere near this stuff. I want to see about 10 years of research before getting near any of those beam-boxes.

The only thing dumber is living within 500 feet of high-power transmission lines.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

And what you listed for ideas is huge. Because eventually and hopefully, one day we see this type of technology that allows us to not have to be tethered to an electrical outlet to charge our ilPhones. Especially given circumstances like airports, coffee shops, and of course our houses. That's a major convenience factor and a breakthrough if this technology does happen. Even if it has its limitations, the mobile world that we live in today, it's almost as if this technology should happen.

23. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

I'll be literally glowing by the time I step out of places stacked with all that RF magnetic field I'll be exposed to. Then after a few years in the market, people will come back here and complain about unnecessary exposure and getting sick by it and suing said companies that sell and offer these things.

(I'm speculating of course)

24. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

This is the very early stages of a technological push that will revolutionize the world. Wall Street seems to think so too. Energous' stock went up 150% on one day...

25. YegorH macrumors regular

Man, their stock skyrocketed, I shouldn’t have sold it... :(