Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I have close to $100 invested in various apps that I use for both work and fun -- it'd be a pain in the ass to rebuy most of them.

Plus, it's Android. I feel like I'm supporting Skynet whenever I use a google product.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
From engadet: it's the best Android smartphone yet, but more importantly, it might well be the best smartphone, period.

What do you guys think.

I totally agree, this is One Awesome Smartphone.

Loaded with everything one could want including the really great SWYPE keyboard input system, it's super fast to text, email and IM on.

As soon as they started taking pre-orders, I placed mine.

I have had the Galaxy S since release day and it's been fantastic.

That said, the latest one is not for everyone, nor is the iPhone.

It's all personal preference.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9100_galaxy_s_ii-3621.php

http://swypeinc.com/

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
4G phones are nice, but right now dont want tiered data as it will cost me more. Right now with verizon I have the $30 unlimited plan and stream and download over 5gb data. If the rumor of verizon's tiered data is true, itt would jack up my cost to $50 or more for that same data. Over a 2 year contract that's $480 more for a total of $1200 for just data vs $720 now. Not sure any phone is worth $1200 over a 2 year period, plus throw in the likely $200 to $300 cost just to buy the phone under contract for a total cost near $1500 just to stream and download data. :eek:

YaBoiD

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2011
4G phones are nice, but right now dont want tiered data as it will cost me more. Right now with verizon I have the $30 unlimited plan and stream and download over 5gb data. If the rumor of verizon's tiered data is true, itt would jack up my cost to $50 or more for that same data. Over a 2 year contract that's $480 more for a total of $1200 for just data vs $720 now. Not sure any phone is worth $1200 over a 2 year period, plus throw in the likely $200 to $300 cost just to buy the phone under contract for a total cost near $1500 just to stream and download data. :eek:

4G LTE with Verizon is currently unlimited for $30 monthly until they go tiered around the summer time. Thunderbolt users have unlimited.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
4G LTE with Verizon is currently unlimited for $30 monthly until they go tiered around the summer time. Thunderbolt users have unlimited.

It's highly unlikely this new samsung phone will be out in time before verizon goes to a tiered plan, and they have already said they will not grandfather people in when that goes into effect. So I will keep my 2 years of $30 unlimited 3G data, vs paying at least $20 more a month for the same data on 4g. The next 4G phone coming out on verizon is the Samsung Charge and not the Galaxy.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere

My prediction is everyone no matter what phone or carrier, will be on tiered data plans very soon. It's the next trend to pump up carriers profits.

If history is any indicator, Verizon will be the first to jack up rates, then the rest will follow.

Fasten your seat belt :eek:

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Getting mine next week, can't wait! I do prefer iOS to Android in quite a few departments but I can't hold out for the iPhone 5 any longer and really besides the build quality (which I don't even really mind, at least the plastic makes the phone light) I'll be more than happy with the SGS2 :D Quite a bit cheaper than the iPhone 4 as well even though it's just been released here, haha.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Did you see how many iPhones Apple sold last quarter? 18.65 million with 113% YoY growth bring in €9.045 ($12.3) billion dollars in revenue. Add in the iPhone 4 is the best selling phone of ALL TIME and the 3GS is still a top seller, Yeah Apple should be worried :rolleyes:

I'm not saying they should run around and panic, but they obviously should not become complacent and relax, they should be cautious and worried about Android's rise.

Just look what happened to Nokia, the largest phone manufacturer in the world, seemingly unbeatable...

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I think, as a smartphone Galaxy S2 > iPhone 4, but as an overall entertainment device the iPhone 4 > Galaxy S2.

Sorry guys, the iPhone 4 is just not a proper 'smartphone' for me. I agree with Engadget.

I have close to $100 invested in various apps that I use for both work and fun -- it'd be a pain in the ass to rebuy most of them.

Plus, it's Android. I feel like I'm supporting Skynet whenever I use a google product.

There's an iPod Touch for that.

solowmodel

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
Weird. Maybe I just suck at making full use of Android but I've had my Galaxy S in Korea since early last summer but still prefer my 3GS.

From what I can tell, people are loving their Galaxy S (and soon to be GSII). Maybe I'm just used to the comfort of iOS?

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
The Samsung Galaxy S 2 is hands down the best smartphone of 2011...So Far.

I think it will come down to the iPhone5 and Nexus-3.0 as the two top dogs this year.

But for sure the Galaxy 2 is night and day better than the outdated and stale iPhone4

solowmodel

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011

I think it will come down to the iPhone5 and Nexus-3.0 as the two top dogs this year.

But for sure the Galaxy 2 is night and day better than the outdated and stale iPhone4

I'm sure it's a great phone but how is it night and day better? Honest question looking for more than a spec breakdown and more in terms of usability.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011

Maybe in your opinion, but that doesn't mean much around here. You are on an iPhone sub-forum.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I'm sure it's a great phone but how is it night and day better? Honest question looking for more than a spec breakdown and more in terms of usability.

Agree! Will it be faster, yes. But how will that help me out? Will it send my text messages out faster? Not that I could notice. Will it stream Netflix? As of now, no. Will it make my Sirius streaming sound better? Probably not since I have no problem doing that. Will surfing the net be faster? Yes, if I am connected to the network, however, most of the time I am connected to wifi, so I won't notice any improvement. Will the screen be better? Yes, but probably not drastically better than the retina display. Will it make the music I have on the phone sound better than the iphone? Probably not. Will it have better signal strength? Probably, but I don't have that problem. Will the sound quality be better when talking on the phone? Maybe, maybe not. Will the battery life be better? No.

So in general, it will have a faster processor. For most people that is not a big issue, since most smartphone users dont even push the current phones they have.

It comes down to what you want and need. Everyone is different. It definately will be the newest and best device out there, but not eveyone prefers the newest and best, if what they currently have offers them everything they want and need.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
-800x480 pixels (too small, hello fuzzy wuzzy txts)
-4.3" screen (too big, its a phone not a mini tablet)
-Touchwiz (Cheap imitation of iOS/Sense/Motoblur)
-Plastic exoskeleton (Will feel cheaper to me having been spoilt by glass/metal)
-Notoriously poor customer service/after sales support (You will wait eons for any update...if your phone is not outright EOLd that is)

All these mean i couldn't careless about the product...but too each their own.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
-800x480 pixels (too small, hello fuzzy wuzzy txts)
-4.3" screen (too big, its a phone not a mini tablet)
-Touchwiz (Cheap imitation of iOS/Sense/Motoblur)
-Plastic exoskeleton (Will feel cheaper to me having been spoilt by glass/metal)
-Notoriously poor customer service/after sales support (You will wait eons for any update...if your phone is not outright EOLd that is)

All these mean i couldn't careless about the product...but too each their own.

Don't forget the Galaxy S3 comes out next weekend. Why purchase this now when you can have the newest and better one in a couple weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.