engadget 17" unibody matte mbp hands-on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adokimus, Feb 25, 2009.

1. gileschin macrumors newbie

Tooooo Beautiful !!!!!

In light of the economic downturn this 17 Unibody is so uplifting!

The aluminum frame around the matte screen looks very, very professional.
    Ordered mine on Jan 26 and I'm getting really anxious. I bought the first Ti-book and loved it, this 17 Uni is just so elegant!

-G

2. chuckjones macrumors newbie

My photos

Just arrived

Take it with a grain of salt, but it's absolutely perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yes but that pictures misleading, 8/10ths of the window is on the glossy side and only 2/10ths on the matte side, if the matte computer was swapped with the glossy one and you tried to use both you wouldnt be able to use the matte too.

This pictures more accurate:

[​IMG]

See... Still unusable, the matte screen doesn't make the light magically disappear.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks for the pics. Looks great.

Definitely like the matte screen version. Very professional looking.

Wow! That picture comparison is really telling.

Matte screen all the way for this kid. :)

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yes but that pictures misleading, 8/10ths of the window is on the glossy side and only 2/10ths on the matte side, if the matte computer was swapped with the glossy one and you tried to use both you wouldnt be able to use the matte too.

This pictures more accurate:

[​IMG]

See... Still unusable, the matte screen doesn't make the light magically disappear.

6. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

The more and more I see pics of the 17" with the silver bezel, the more I like it over the black border.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I have the 15" unibody mbp and to me that picture is not misleading at all. Even without any windows I can still see myself from the glare (doesnt bother me as much) but I do prefer matte.

I remember the matte screen with the led backlighting looks superb and crisp to the eyes.. sigh...

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Imagine that same angle picture on the glossy. :eek::eek: But once the screen is actually on, the light source wont be even visible on the matte while the glossy you will see yourself.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

it would look the same but sharper

10. mox123 macrumors 6502

nice pics. Is the glossy in unibody more glossy than that the glossy in Penryn classic MBP? they seem to be so

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Not with that kind of light source. Actually on that picture on the matte screen doesnt look bad at all considering its a pretty bright light source directly aimed at the screen.

On the glossy it would show up as a mirror.

I dont know what it is but the glossy screen is nice and more saturated. But something about the matte screen on the led backlighting makes the colors pop a lot more and looking at pictures and high resolution comic books the pictures looked like real life comics that was crisp as hell to the eyes. The glossy still looks good but not as vibrant imo.

Another thing is that on the glossy screens with a little bit of light source from behind seems to make the screen look a lot more vivid but when your in the total dark sometimes it doesnt look that vibrant as the matte. I remember last gen 15" mbps difference between the glossy and matte, the matte was actually brighter.

12. Gloor macrumors 6502a

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I would sell my 15" mbp and pay the difference for the 2.93ghz 17" hi res matte.. but I already have a 24" LED ACD that I use most of the time and have the 15" mbp in closed shell mode.. + I'm waiting for that Gainstown Mac Pro!

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I'm glad that I have a MBP15 (older model) with matte screen. Love it.

Glad to see that Apple offers the MBP17 with the matte screen option. Hopefully they will do the same with the MBP15.

15. volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

yes! much more reflective. the reason for this is they now use real glass instead of glossy plastic

16. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

Glad to see that Apple offers the MBP17 with the matte screen option. Hopefully they will do the same with the MBP15.[/QUOTE]

I hope so too. If they can do it on the 17 inch, why not the 15 inch with the next revision in a couple months.

17. mac jones macrumors 68040

uh, ....you have to.....like......turn it on dude :D

18. detz macrumors 65816

The screens are off, obviously there is going to be a big difference, the picture is taken in a way that is making the anti-glare looking better because the OP purchased the anti-glare.

When the screens are on the glare is all put gone, if you try to find it you can see it but the screen is so bright and you're looking at what's on the screen so you would never even notice the glare.

19. macffooky macrumors regular

Surely only making a matte screen available on the top of the range model and even then charging a premium for it might lead people to assume that it is superior...which seems at odds with the gloss (no pun intended) that Apple are trying to put on the issue.

I went for an early '08 MBP 15" even though I knew that a redesign was on the way because I didn't like the black keys (great band though) but the loss of matte makes me even more glad that I dead.

The suicidal 8600M GT, however, was a pretty hefty kick in the balls.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

My whole point is that on the glossy unibody mbp, even when you crank up the brightness to full, you wont see the light source much on the screen but you see yourself most of the time.

I'm bashing on the glossy but I dont own a matte (I have the 15" unibody mbp) but I really do like matte much more. Its more detailed, vibrant, crisp and brighter too comparing to the last gen 15" mbp.

If it were ccfl backlit screens, I'd prefer glossy to get more saturation of the colors but since the led switch.. my god does matte look gorgeous.

21. detz macrumors 65816

Here is a glossy picture. This is a fully lite office with windows and big lights overhead. Who can spot the glare? :confused: Can you see me standing behind it with the camera? I can't...nor do I ever see myself.

Attached Files:

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Reflections arnt always seen on glossy but it is there most of the time, especially when you have dark images like black, blue backgrounds.

23. wankey macrumors 6502a

Okay, Apple needs to seriously consider getting that matte finish on the 15 inchers.

is it just me or does a silver w/ black outline look so sexy? It looks way more professional than just a plain black screen.

[​IMG]

Now THAT'S a pro computer.

And please, those with glossy screens stop pretending to be pros. You guys are obviously of the Macbook crowd. I've owned many glossy screens and it doesn't come close to any matte screen I've owned.

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yea I agree, its like they kept the older styled macbook pro while they updated the whole design. Kind of like a hybrid.