Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
^^I agree with you on this.:) Yes alot of them were exaggerated but something almost always materialized out of the rumor itself. I don't expect everything in the rumor to come true but a few things in it always happen.

Anyhow I'm still waiting on the new Macbooks. Can't wait.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Well, I couldn't hold my smoke; pulled the trigger on Monday, August 19, '08 on the MBA (again) and everything is going quite well. Did the clean install and deleted a bunch of print drivers, all non-English language stuff and that 2GB of sleep stuff. Total used HD = 21.56GB and I'm one happy MBA owner. With my luck they'll release something NEW the first week of September! :eek: Oh well, I'm good to go until MWSF '09...:p

Attachments

• MBA w:SD.jpg
    MBA w:SD.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 135

Apr 10, 2007
Well, I couldn't hold my smoke; pulled the trigger on Monday, August 19, '08 on the MBA (again) and everything is going quite well. Did the clean install and deleted a bunch of print drivers, all non-English language stuff and that 2GB of sleep stuff. Total used HD = 21.56GB and I'm one happy MBA owner. With my luck they'll release something NEW the first week of September! :eek: Oh well, I'm good to go until MWSF '09...:p

your making it hard for me to wait lol

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
If I were to have any quibble at all it would have to be about os x and office 08 taking up over 20gb of space.:eek:

Congrats! I'm sorry I missed your earlier post, but I've been enjoying my new MBA as well. My same concerns about the amount of space being commandeered by Mac OS X and Mac Office '08. I took the recommendations of a few other MBA/MR folks and did a clean install and removed all printer drivers, non-English languages, and the Sleep thing (that took up 2GB by itself). Total space used was 21.38GB, so I'm totally stoked...:p

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
For me, the MBA is nearly there in its first revision, but I've stuck with my Macbook having tried an Air out.

Better battery life, a larger HDD and 4Gb RAM would make me swap straight away to a MBA. I think the concept of the MBA is spot on and is so close to being something really special.

I don't ask for much, do I :)

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I too am hoping for an updated MBA soon!

Whilst I love my 15" MBP, my new job has me doing ridiculous amounts of travel, including lots of overseas travel...

Love the form factor, but would like a bump in specs as a minimum... although not sure how good my resolve is if they don't update them in the next month or two!

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I'm quite certain they will update it soon. I mean... new LV processors are finally available since August 19th (or so).

September should see an update for the MBA (if I had to put my money on some month ;) )

draa

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
I don't think that they'll add something like FW cos there's no space for it.
Guess changes will affect RAM, CPU and battery. Also i hope "imminent" is sometime in September!

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
I highly doubt it would be in the next revision, but what would you guys suggest is the likelihood that the Air would be bumped up to 4GB next year? I'm definitely getting one, but I know there are bound to be a few more revisions before I can get that kind of money together.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I highly doubt it would be in the next revision, but what would you guys suggest is the likelihood that the Air would be bumped up to 4GB next year?
I really hope they do it in the next revision (this year). More RAM is good for OS X. And 4 GB RAM should cost Apple... no more than 60-70$!?

I'd think it's pretty safe to assume the next but one revision coming with 4GB.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
I highly doubt it would be in the next revision, but what would you guys suggest is the likelihood that the Air would be bumped up to 4GB next year? I'm definitely getting one, but I know there are bound to be a few more revisions before I can get that kind of money together.

If you cannot upgrade the RAM, then you might as well get the highest amount possible on the MacBook Air as standard.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
If you cannot upgrade the RAM, then you might as well get the highest amount possible on the MacBook Air as standard.

That's my line of thinking as well, kabunaru. I don't plan on using my Air for RAM-intensive apps, and I totally get the concept that this is meant to be a light-duty and travel-friendly computer... but RAM is just so damn cheap these days and I'm sure they can find room on even that teeny-tiny system board for an extra two gigs. It just makes sense.

4GB + SSDD FTW! :D

jflamm

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2008
I'd like the extra memory for virtual machines. Vista is a pig and it's hard to run a VM with only 2G since Vista really needs 1.5G. Yes I know ... but I do need it for work and there are a few nice apps that unfortunately only run on Windows.

prolix21

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
i'm holding out for 4GB of ram. if that's the only change they made, i'd be happy. i need to replace my MBP soon, so i am really hoping they announce something the 9th

Heavenkittykat

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
I would just buy the newer macbooks that will come in a month later. 1-2lbs lighter (possibly have the same casing as the mba just a lil thicker for the superdrives), led backlit screens, aluminum casing and all under a $1000. Especially when you can put a 2.5" hdd inside its the best overall.

you honestly think that would happen? Why would apple make their macbooks look almost exactly as macbook air and yet have it priced lower? Think about it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.