Engadgets Exclusive iPad 2 New Rumours:

Discussion in 'iPad' started by samac92, Jan 14, 2011.

1. samac92 macrumors 6502a

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The display throws it off. No way we'll see super high res without going to retina and no way retina is affordable enough yet to get it into the iPad and still get it at a price point people won't bitch about.

3. samac92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I've thought all along (and so it seems does the majority of the iPad forum.) But it makes you wonder why this rumour keeps cropping up from trusted sources.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Interesting article but there isso much varying speculation at this stage. The only tangible information we can definitely take from these varying reports is that Apple is working on an iPad 2 ;). Nearly everything else seems to be conjecture, opinion and pure speculation.

I don't rule anything out with Apple....

5. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

If you read the article carefully

So the "Retina" part refers to the "technology" used, not the resolution which is merely said to be "super high resolution" and thus the pixel density could be anywhere between the current one and the iPhone-like 300+DPI.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Find me a mobile graphics processor that can drive anywhere near that resolution.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

8. fertilized-egg, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

But that's exactly what I mean: we don't know what "that resolution" is. We speculate that it has to be 2X up and down without any evidence only because of the compatibility issue. We don't know if Apple did something to ease up that problem in which case it could very well be some arbitrary resolution that's higher than the current iPad resolution but lower than the speculated 2048 x 1536.

Unfortunately, 2X increase in resolution up and down means 4X increase in total pixel count, so...

9. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I'm positive a better resolution will come with iPad 2, but not retina like on the iphone.

10. Zcott macrumors 68020

Important to note as other posters have noted that "retina display" is a marketing term. I imagine the iPad 2 will have a "retina display" but not quite as high as the iPhone scaled up. Still, an improvement is an improvement. These rumours, if they turn out to be true, are all pretty good.

11. stevearm macrumors 6502a

If the resolution is increased to an arbitrary number, for example, 1280... why can't all the current apps simply run at 1024 size, with a big black border arond it... until the developers can update their apps.

Doesn't seem that big a problem.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

13. quetzalcoatl macrumors member

The big thing from there is the SD slot. That would be going away from everything that apple has done upto this point in the mobile world. And I don't see it but hope that I am wrong. But the increase in memory year after year has been one of the biggest marketing tools apple has used to get people to upgrade and adding the SD slot would take that away. Not having expandable memory is my biggest grip about my iPad.

14. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Not buying a change in resolution. Price, part availability, and processing power makes a doubling (ie 4x pixel count) untenable for now. And lack of resolution independence baked into iOS makes anything short of doubling extremely extremely unlikely IMHO.

15. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

The sd expansion sounds great. It would be neat if it had two slots in case you had two spare sticks to slide in.

16. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

But woule people really want that? Even pc and imac monitors dont have that much pixel density on tyeir wcreens. Whats rewlly the point?

17. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have also just read the Engadget article and it seems to be close to the truth. An April release is logical, the use of a dual core processor also. The change in chipset for wireless communications is also a safe bet. The only thing we cannot be really sure about is the resolution of the display. Let's just wait and see what Steve Jobs is going to be soon announcing.

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I say now, that I won't get one, but I know as soon as it's unveiled I'm gonna be salivating as usual. :eek::D
    One thing is for sure though, that there'll be no need to get a 3G version, as iPhone Personal Hotspot will cover that. I'll probably get a 32GB, as 16GB is a bit too small, once I put intensive apps and some video on it.(My iPhone holds all my music, New iPad will do the videos).

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think we'll be seeing a hi res iPad, rather a retina one. This is just version 2 of the iPad and to suddenly change the resolution doesn't seem to make sense to me.

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Whilst I'm not expecting a resolution increase yet, I hope I'm wrong.

You could say that changing screen res will always bring problems. Given that fact which cannot be gotten around. Would it be better to change the screen res now, and get the inevitable problems over with now, very early in the iPad life cycle that to leave it for another few years and make the problem worse?

And change, which will cause problems would be better to be done earlier than later.

Just a thought.

Better now, than in 3 years time with 3x the number of apps out there to have to change.

21. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Care to explain how keeping the physical screen size and resolution, becomes a Retina Display?

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

increased pixel density, apple did this with the iPhone 4. They did not increase the resolution, but rather increased the number of pixels, thus creating a retina display which just means you don't see the dots.

23. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

The problem is that iPad apps are designed for the current screen size. Shrink the apps, put a border around and the UI might become unusable.

Some form of full-screen scaling could be possible, but would look pretty rubbish.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That happened early on with the iPad running iPhone apps and not having an ipad version yet. Now that there's iPad versions of many of the popular apps we got used to the nice crisp display