Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
This particular app has nothing to do with lenses.

This is about medication prescriptions.

Surely you have those in Norway?
Never heard of it. I use contact lenses, but I don’t understand the difference between using glasses and not having a prescription vs having a prescription.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Never heard of it. I use contact lenses, but I don’t understand the difference between using glasses and not having a prescription vs having a prescription.
Really?
So, what do Norwegians call the set of numbers that set out your eyes' strengths and weaknesses after an eye test?
Surely you must call it something?

Reactions: Huw Price

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Really?
So, what do Norwegians call the set of numbers that set out your eyes' strengths and weaknesses after an eye test?
Surely you must call it something?
The words we use in daily talk is just “strength”. We get prescriptions for drugs that are regulated. For the eyes we just know what the numbers are and we can order whatever we want from wherever we want. I just go online and order -0.75 for right eye and -0.50 for left eye plus corrections for astigmatism. There’s no “official prescription” as far as I know.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
The words we use in daily talk is just “strength”. We get prescriptions for drugs that are regulated. For the eyes we just know what the numbers are and we can order whatever we want from wherever we want. I just go online and order -0.75 for right eye and -0.50 for left eye plus corrections for astigmatism.
I just had to look this up…
brilleseddel mean anything to you?

Anyway, I suspect you know what we mean. And perhaps you're just having a bit of a laugh with semantics. 😉

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I just had to look this up…
brilleseddel mean anything to you?

Anyway, I suspect you know what we mean. And perhaps you're just having a bit of a laugh with semantics. 😉
I’m genuinely curious, because in my head “prescription” is something you need to buy regulated medications. Everyone can buy glasses or contacts here without any prescription.
I’ve heard the word brilleseddel. That’s probably the same. Maybe I’m just the weird one :p

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
This has been in the app for a few years - not sure why it's being surfaced now as a news article that it's new.
I’ve used the NHS app for the occasional prescription and I can vouch the barcode element has not been part of the NHS app. This barcode element now negates the need for the busy pharmacists to quickly and easily locate a prescription and verify the ID of the customer by asking for name, address and postcode: all time consuming if you do hundreds of times a day.
Possibly you have been part of a trial roll-out but for the general public it‘s a worthy update in an app. Though I’m curious as to why it merits mention on ( USA centric) Macrumors.

Reactions: User 6502

Greybeard2017

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2020
Feels kinda old to me

In Denmark your prescription is associated with you social security number, so is it enough to inform the number at the pharmacy with the name of prescription

Also, there is an official government app, where you social security number is showed alongside the barcode, for situations where you need to scan your card

Maybe a new thing in England, but a thing that Denmark has used in a long time

Also, names of prescriptions and numbers left can also be showed on the phone
Its not a new thing in England - I haven't had to visit my GP for a repeat prescription for maybe 10 years - initially it was done by a web application - then it was a phone app - functionality has been there for ages.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I use an app called Well and get the prescriptions delivered. Not sure why anybody would want to go pick them up at a physical shop when delivered is an option. Really that functionality should be built in to the NHS app (and the prescriptions should be free for everyone).

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
I’m genuinely curious, because in my head “prescription” is something you need to buy regulated medications. Everyone can buy glasses or contacts here without any prescription.
I’ve heard the word brilleseddel. That’s probably the same. Maybe I’m just the weird one :p
Probably just a language thing. We also call "prescription" to medicines and eye wear although they are different documents and nobody gets confused.
We even have the exact same word for recipe (probably the origin is from when medicines were locally made with some recipe) so "prescription" can be chocolate cake, penicillin or glasses.

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
THIRTY-THREE MILLION people have gone through the significant hassle of having their ID checked and registering with the NHS app in the UK.

There are some good reasons why there is such a high takeup for the NHS app.

Incredible and completely amazing as it may seem to our US readers, NHS prescriptions in the UK are capped at £9.65 ($12.25) and free for people under 16, over 60, with a low income or issued to inpatients in an NHS hospital.

This leads to most prescriptions going through the NHS and makes these features in the NHS app particularly useful.
Incorrect, maybe in England this is the case - which is not the whole of the UK. Prescriptions in Scotland are free for everyone and have been since 2011.

kirkmc

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
I use an app called Well and get the prescriptions delivered. Not sure why anybody would want to go pick them up at a physical shop when delivered is an option. Really that functionality should be built in to the NHS app (and the prescriptions should be free for everyone).
Some types of medication can't be delivered.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Context: I’m a US citizen who has never traveled outside the States.

The example given in the article is “hip replacement” but in the same sentence it’s referred to as an “elective procedure”. And, while I’m not trying to be negative towards any healthcare system, I don’t understand how a hip replacement is elective? Is it not something you either need or don’t need? I would like to understand…

dabi

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2021
EU
I thought most European countries already had this for years, surprised the UK is getting it only now. I thought it's a rich and modern country, guess not?

Spike1999

macrumors regular
May 19, 2020
Shame it’s not the rest of the UK, although Health policies were devolved to the other Sovereign states.

Spike1999

macrumors regular
May 19, 2020
I thought most European countries already had this for years, surprised the UK is getting it only now. I thought it's a rich and modern country, guess not?
Not the whole UK, only England, the other sovereign states are not involved in this.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Context: I’m a US citizen who has never traveled outside the States.

The example given in the article is “hip replacement” but in the same sentence it’s referred to as an “elective procedure”. And, while I’m not trying to be negative towards any healthcare system, I don’t understand how a hip replacement is elective? Is it not something you either need or don’t need? I would like to understand…
I think an 'elective procedure' is one where it's not a matter of life-or-death or associated with a serious health issue, but it still relates to a quality-of-life restriction that's serious enough (such as being unable to walk enough to live an independent life) that it will be provided on the NHS if the patient wishes to go ahead with the procedure.

• Wow
Reactions: Dj64Mk7

AstonSmith

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
UK
Prescription just means something was prescribed by a professional. So for example, a doctor can prescribe therapy, a dentist can prescribe antibiotics, and an optician can prescribe spectacle lenses.

As you say, some medicines are regulated, but not all prescriptions are regulated.

---

Whilst I'm posting, I might as well say that when I went through the procedure to get the NHS app (supply NHS number, photo and passport scan) they said I was approved for full access. However, when I went to see my record, it was blank. So it's pretty useless.

(I've been trying to work out if I missed some vaccinations, but still have no idea since my parents lost my paper records.)

wagawagawoowoo

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Not new, but it's worth noting that this seems to be just a web app in a wrapper. I don't see all the options in the screenshots in the article. (I don't see Nominate a Pharmacy.) My GP surgery has been using the Patient Access app for years. There are many third-party apps that can interface with the NHS.

Worth noting that I've been living in the UK for 11 years, and am still stunned that it takes a week to get a repeat prescription. It used to be three days at my GP, but they extended it. When I lived in France, I took my prescription to a pharmacy and walked out a few minutes later with the drugs. Silly system in the UK, but I guess it has to do with GPs wanting to make money from having to approve each prescription, rather than setting up a longer-term prescription that doesn't need to be re-approved each month.
Sorry but GPs don’t make money from repeat prescribing. Most regular drugs are put on repeat prescription - there is a pressure to make this 1 month at a time as this means you pay 12 prescription charges a year.. its a government tax..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.