Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOP44R

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
Gold Coast, Australia
Context: I’m a US citizen who has never traveled outside the States.

The example given in the article is “hip replacement” but in the same sentence it’s referred to as an “elective procedure”. And, while I’m not trying to be negative towards any healthcare system, I don’t understand how a hip replacement is elective? Is it not something you either need or don’t need? I would like to understand…
'Elective' surgery in Australia, and I assume in the UK, is many types of 'covered' or 'free' surgery you can have in a public hospital through the national healthcare system. There are usually wait times of weeks to sometimes months depending on the surgery but everything is free.
Basically covers most 'needed' surgery apart from cosmetic.
Australia has had an IOS and Android app similar to this since before COVID.

• Wow
Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Kingsfleet

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2024
Sorry but GPs don’t make money from repeat prescribing. Most regular drugs are put on repeat prescription - there is a pressure to make this 1 month at a time as this means you pay 12 prescription charges a year.. its a government tax..

+1 also if you get prepayment certificate to max you pay is for the same as around one a month using direct debit. Useful if you have more than one monthly prescription.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
idk about the rest of the world, but the US healthcare system really needs to move on from using fax machines to send data

Huwpne

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2014
Sorry but GPs don’t make money from repeat prescribing. Most regular drugs are put on repeat prescription - there is a pressure to make this 1 month at a time as this means you pay 12 prescription charges a year.. its a government tax..
Repeat prescriptions can be up to 2 months; it depends on the drugs - it's also up to the patient to ask for 2 months.

The vast majority of prescriptions are either free because of Age and exemptions. 89% of the items dispensed in the community are dispensed free of charge

Huwpne

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2014
Prescription just means something was prescribed by a professional. So for example, a doctor can prescribe therapy, a dentist can prescribe antibiotics, and an optician can prescribe spectacle lenses.

As you say, some medicines are regulated, but not all prescriptions are regulated.

---

Whilst I'm posting, I might as well say that when I went through the procedure to get the NHS app (supply NHS number, photo and passport scan) they said I was approved for full access. However, when I went to see my record, it was blank. So it's pretty useless.

(I've been trying to work out if I missed some vaccinations, but still have no idea since my parents lost my paper records.)
The system takes time to populate; My wife has full access to almost everything - mine is very selective but more info is starting to appear - almost as if the surgery is having to add the info

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.