English to Spanish, French, German text translator?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by majordude, Jul 2, 2007.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I have a school project where it would be great if I could translate a document into a foreign language. Is there one available for the Mac?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well, you could try Google language tools or Babelfish. Don't know of a specific Mac app for it though.

3. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Hmm, yeah, never thought of that. I think those can translate on the fly. Dunno for sure.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sherlock FTW! :eek: :D

[​IMG]

Sherlock is already in your apps folder. ;) Apple also has a widget in the Dashboard, although it's always been a bit buggy for some unclear reason. :(

It's nothing amazing, but it has a nicer interface than a web page. :)

5. russbif macrumors newbie

Do you have to be connected to the internet for the translator widget to work??

Russ

6. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Apple has thought of everything! :D

7. mooncaine macrumors regular

I usually find better [more] language choices at altavista.com ....

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Laugh now, but when Sherlock gets dumped in Leopard, disappears completely for six or seven years, and then shows up around 2015 as iFind, you'll be screaming "It's the new Newton" all over again! :D

9. blckb3rries macrumors newbie

you might want to try http://m.askvelazquez.com
    it's a 250,000 word Spanish-English English-Spanish dictionary made for the iphone web browser. I also know taht the company is working on a downloadable app for this as well.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

On your Mac, press F-12 and use the translation tool.

English:
    However, note that automatic translation is likely to give diabolical results. I would bet that for example more than 50 percent of all Germans will find it easier to understand text in good written English than the same text mangled through an English-to-German translator.

Translated:
    Jedoch beachten Sie, daß automatische Übersetzung geben diabolical Resultate wahrscheinlich ist. Ich würde wetten, daß zum Beispiel mehr als 50 Prozent aller Deutschen es einfacher, Text auf gutes schriftliches Englisch als der gleiche Text zu verstehen finden, der durch einen Englisch-zu-Deutschen Übersetzer zerfleischt wird.

German:
    Sie müssen jedoch damit rechnen, dass eine automatische Übersetzung zu schlimmen Ergebnissen führt. Ich bin ziemlich sicher, dass mehr als die Hälfte aller Deutschen einen Text in gutem Schriftenglisch besser verstehen als den gleichen Text, nachdem er einem Englisch-Deutsch-Übersetzer zum Opfer gefallen ist.

Translation:
    They must count however on the fact that an automatic translation leads to bad results. I am rather sure that more understand German a text in good writing English as half of all better than the same text, after it is pleased an English German compiler/translator to the victim.

11. thedreamania macrumors newbie

Hi! You can use www.allinonetranslator.com .
    I also need to translate some documents at my work from english into other languages. This website is saving my life :) The good thing is, you can see all the results in a single page from 5 different translators ( google, altavista..). And choose the most proper one for you. I hope it helps.
    Regards,
    Tony

12. botherLed macrumors newbie

Really? I think I can discusse the spanish translation with you. I learn the spanish. But I didn't know how to translation. :)