Enjoying my FREE ipad 2 ;)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joltaxt, Apr 18, 2011.

1. joltaxt macrumors regular

I have to share this crazy story that happened recently. Around 2 weeks ago I was on a flight I initially wasn't excited about but that quickly changed. When I got into my seat I look inside the seat pouch and low and behold there was an iPad 2! The person next to me couldn't believe it either. I started playing around with it and when I looked over my shoulder I noticed the flight attendant had seen the whole thing. She walked up to me and said "sir is that yours?" to which I quickly and firmly shot back, "yes it is, is there a problem?" leading her to give me a puzzled look and then walking away. The person next to me just chuckled, and I stored it away in a safe place so no one would notice.

They say everything happens for a reason, and in my case I ended up with 2 Ipads :D

Still debating on what to do with the other one. Will probably sell it for a nice paycheck =)

2. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

3. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Not sure if serious.

You should have handed it to the attendant so she could give it back to the owner. Keeping hold of a lost item is theft.

4. AdrianK, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011

AdrianK macrumors 68020

Wow, that's awful. You made no attempt to return it, and you even lied about it being your property. It's not like it would be hard to trace the owner, since the airline would would have records of seat numbers. That's just a crime of opportunity imo.

5. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

IF this is true, how AWESOME would it be IF it was the one that was just recently left in the same seatback ?

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'm thinking this whole thread is a set up for arguing.

7. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ummmm... You didn't get it for "free"

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Interesting. I wonder if the flight was a SWA flight out of Philly?

FEDUP FLYER might be interested in this post. here's what he posted about a week and a half ago:

9. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

When I was a kid and flying sans adults, I tried to leave my sister on a Midwest Express flight in Cleveland.

Didn't work. The flight attendant brought her back.

10. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

11. Smoothness macrumors regular

Doubt he was the first or last to leave an ipad2 in the back pouch!

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Oklahoma Statutes Citationized
    Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
    Chapter 68 - Larceny
    Section 1702 - Larceny - Lost Property

One who finds lost property under circumstances which gives him knowledge or means of inquiry as to the true owner, and who appropriates such property to his own use, or to the use of another person who is not entitled thereto, without having first made such effort to find the owner and restore the property to him as the circumstances render reasonable and just, is guilty of larceny.

Might want to check about the laws of the state where you live or found this property before you start posting about it online.

13. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

"Cool story brah."
    Maybe the OP bought it on eBay, payed way over the odds + shipping, and is now trying to ease his conscience.*

*probably :D

14. krnboy503 macrumors regular

I'm sure its BS. There is already a post about "I left my iPad 2 inside the airplane thread" and this guy wanted to continue on with the story.

Waste of time.

15. mfr1340 macrumors regular

nothing is free

You should have lots of fun back at your trailer park. Do they have wifi there?
    Do they know what wifi is? You seem like a cheap NETBOOK type of person.
    I am sure we will all be seeing you and your RELATED FAMILY on the TV show (COPS). Have fun with your stolen ipad2. I would say I hope you don't lose something of equal value, and someone just takes it, oh thats right, they would probley have to steal your whole Trailer in order for you to lose something of equial value!!!

16. iStudentUK, Apr 18, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

But is this an objective or subjective assessment? Makes a big difference.

Here in the UK this may not be theft. I don't think this is quite an open and shut case in many US states either as some of the same principles apply. Immoral I would say, but theft is more complex.

17. Antfer macrumors member

18. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Unpleasant.

If the seats were assigned by ticket, then the airline can easily contact previous occupiers of that seat and reunite them with their lost property.

To deny the unfortunate person (who made a mistake that even the best of us could make on a bad day) the opportunity to recover their property is just plain mean-spirited.

Having lost something of similar value a while back, I know too well that sinking, gut-wrenching nausea of losing something. I'd do everything within reason to make sure someone else doesn't have to go through that.

19. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

To be honest after reading your post I think this could be a classic case of the "pot calling the kettle black."

I'm not agreeing with the OP in any way on this and I think this is probably just a joke thread anyway. However, if you're going to degrade someone, at least use spelling and grammar check.....

20. ct2k7, Apr 18, 2011

ct2k7 macrumors 603

Actually, it is theft in the UK.

21. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It is possible, but not certain.

22. ct2k7 macrumors 603

From the Theft Act, 1968:

"A person shall be guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it."

This is quoted from an old textbook, but I don't think it has changed.

23. andybrown44 macrumors regular

But then you have to look at what qualifies as dishonest, and what judges have decided in previous cases. Also this thread is hilarious, I can't decide if everyone is a troll or if everyone is a complete moron.