Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluescity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Just purchased: 13'' with 256 SSD.

Sorry Scottsdale.

Seriously, I'm psyched. I was torn anyway, because I travel a lot and really like to watch DVDs on my computer in my hotel. So the optical was a big plus for me. Oh I can't wait!!

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Thats the sensible choice at this moment in time. At its current price/performance ratio the Air isnt worth it unless you get a refurb. So so so in need of update

gimmi80

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
I did the same... couldn't wait any longer.
I've got a refurb macbook pro 13 2010 for $1019.

I'm looking into a hybrid 7200rpm (Momentus XT) to speed it up a bit.

jns2001

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
I did the same... couldn't wait any longer.
I've got a refurb macbook pro 13 2010 for $1019.

I'm looking into a hybrid 7200rpm (Momentus XT) to speed it up a bit.

I would get a SSD if I were you. Makes a world of difference.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
At its current price/performance ratio the Air isnt worth it

It never will be. The MacBook Air is a novelty item, thus, Apple prices it to sell to the people highly interested in that form factor. It's a very niche market, as far as computers go.

yakyu

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
My girlfriend wanted the MBA since March and we heard about the rumored update and had been waiting since April. I got myself interested and bought the MBP 15" in May for myself, but my gf is still without her MBA and she's been bugging me for 2 months now.

This has been a very frustrating wait with all the rumors flying around without any realization and we decided to give it until June 18. I.e. if we don't see the new MBA then, we'll probably get the Sony VaioZ instead. :mad:

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
It never will be. The MacBook Air is a novelty item, thus, Apple prices it to sell to the people highly interested in that form factor. It's a very niche market, as far as computers go.

To be honest thats EXACTLY how I felt until I actually used one. I remember watching the keynote thinking wow... who in the heck is going to buy that?

After using one extensively though I cant even go back to my black mackbook as it just feels clunky big and outdated.

Except for the dvd and battery life hehe. :D

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

Seriously! the regular MBP is cool and quiet for daily task but man the air is LOUD and WARM. Speaking from someone who went from MBA rev. A -> MBA rev. B -> MBP 13in -> MBP 15.

The risk pad area on the MBP is cool for everyday task minus doing processor intensive task, at least from my experience.

yakyu

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
Seriously! the regular MBP is cool and quiet for daily task but man the air is LOUD and WARM. Speaking from someone who went from MBA rev. A -> MBA rev. B -> MBP 13in -> MBP 15.

The risk pad area on the MBP is cool for everyday task minus doing processor intensive task, at least from my experience.

try playing half-life 2 with your MBP on your lap; it almost scorched my thighs :p

p.s. and it drains my battery in less than 2 hours...

roxygal9

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
FL
Just purchased: 13'' with 256 SSD.

Sorry Scottsdale.

Seriously, I'm psyched. I was torn anyway, because I travel a lot and really like to watch DVDs on my computer in my hotel. So the optical was a big plus for me. Oh I can't wait!!

I did the same thing I bought mine 2 weeks ago, I was sick of waiting, and I just got it last week and am loving it! The 256 SSD really does make a difference it was worth the extra investment IMO. It boots up in less than 5 seconds (really!) and applications load within 1-2 seconds, office loads in about 3 seconds, but I have heard this is normal.

The laptop is very quiet, while running HD videos, ITUNES, web browsing, word proecesing, etc. And I have gotten almost 10 hours battery life web surfing, 8 with itunes and word prcessing very happy with my machine, and also glad that I do not have a lemon, though i did get apple care just in case.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I really feel what you're saying. I think you did the right thing.

Look. Here's the truth. Since using the iPad so extensively, the stuttering in my rev C MBA has become more and more intolerable. I could sell my MBA right now and upgrade to a 13 inch MBP for $200. The performance, trackpad, screen, battery life would all be better - and all with just a pound more.

I have my iPad for when I need to be ultra light. And I have my 15 inch 17 for power. And to have something in between the two for $200? It's sounding better and better.

Bri

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I really feel what you're saying. I think you did the right thing.

Look. Here's the truth. Since using the iPad so extensively, the stuttering in my rev C MBA has become more and more intolerable. I could sell my MBA right now and upgrade to a 13 inch MBP for $200. The performance, trackpad, screen, battery life would all be better - and all with just a pound more.
I have my iPad for when I need to be ultra light. And I have my 15 inch 17 for power. And to have something in between the two for $200? It's sounding better and better.

Bri

RE: Bolded section above.

First, it is 1.5 lbs... but that in itself is decieving. If your priority is light weight portablility, then the difference between a MBA and a MBP is huge. It really is 50% heavier, and that is a lot. However, if you really do not need or want that very light weight then by all means get the MBP. Just realize that you probably really do not need the MBA's main advantage... but you are getting something else that you value more.

It is like buying a new compact car because you need to park in narrow parking spaces... but buying a Hummer because it is only 50% wider than a Prius.

/Jim

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
RE: Bolded section above.

First, it is 1.5 lbs... but that in itself is decieving. If your priority is light weight portablility, then the difference between a MBA and a MBP is huge. It really is 50% heavier, and that is a lot. However, if you really do not need or want that very light weight then by all means get the MBP. Just realize that you probably really do not need the MBA's main advantage... but you are getting something else that you value more.

It is like buying a new compact car because you need to park in narrow parking spaces... but buying a Hummer because it is only 50% wider than a Prius.

/Jim

Well, I can only speak for myself - but I think the iPad covers the space where I need an ultraportable. The MBA used to be the best for my needs, now it's the iPad. It's faster, and the 3G is a massive advantage. If they come out with a more portable keyboard, I'll be able to take notes in class, and that will be the end of it.

Also, by your logic, the iPad is even better since it's smaller, thinner and lighter. There are gradations of needs, and tradeoffs you can make.

I literally just put my MBA on Craig's List. I haven't used it once since getting the iPad. If I miss it, I'll get the 13 inch MBP.

pharmx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Well, I can only speak for myself - but I think the iPad covers the space where I need an ultraportable. The MBA used to be the best for my needs, now it's the iPad. It's faster, and the 3G is a massive advantage. If they come out with a more portable keyboard, I'll be able to take notes in class, and that will be the end of it.

Also, by your logic, the iPad is even better since it's smaller, thinner and lighter. There are gradations of needs, and tradeoffs you can make.

I literally just put my MBA on Craig's List. I haven't used it once since getting the iPad. If I miss it, I'll get the 13 inch MBP.

If you only used your MBA for things like FaceBook, surfing the web, and light-weight games, then yes I completely agree with you. For your needs, the iPad sounds like a perfect replacement. In fact, I'm surprised you said you needed a more portable keyboard....what's wrong with the alu BT one by Apple?

However, for people wanting an ultra-portable that can get real work done (which at this point requires more than what is available in the AppStore...this may change as iOS matures and becomes more capable), the MBA is pretty much the only choice, unless you go with the Windows7 options. The iPad is ultra portable but lacks OS X, and the MBP 13" has OS X, but lacks ultra-portability.

Everyone has different needs, so I guess it just depends on how you use your device. I own a Rev. B MBA, which is absolutely not replaceable by the iPad I own, for any of the things I use my MBA for. But many of the things I use my iPad for can be replaced by my iPhone and MBA.

In its current state, the 13" MBP is not a suitable replacement for my Air. But if it loses the optical drive, gets a little slimmer and a lot lighter...then I would buy it in a heartbeat. Then again, if it did all that, the MBA would serve no purpose anymore, unless it was completely redesigned for a whole new niche (ARM/iOS based, etc).

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
If you only used your MBA for things like FaceBook, surfing the web, and light-weight games, then yes I completely agree with you. For your needs, the iPad sounds like a perfect replacement. In fact, I'm surprised you said you needed a more portable keyboard....what's wrong with the alu BT one by Apple?

However, for people wanting an ultra-portable that can get real work done (which at this point requires more than what is available in the AppStore...this may change as iOS matures and becomes more capable), the MBA is pretty much the only choice, unless you go with the Windows7 options. The iPad is ultra portable but lacks OS X, and the MBP 13" has OS X, but lacks ultra-portability.

Everyone has different needs, so I guess it just depends on how you use your device. I own a Rev. B MBA, which is absolutely not replaceable by the iPad I own, for any of the things I use my MBA for. But many of the things I use my iPad for can be replaced by my iPhone and MBA.

In its current state, the 13" MBP is not a suitable replacement for my Air. But if it loses the optical drive, gets a little slimmer and a lot lighter...then I would buy it in a heartbeat. Then again, if it did all that, the MBA would serve no purpose anymore, unless it was completely redesigned for a whole new niche (ARM/iOS based, etc).

Yup yup! It's totally true. I did use my MBA for Facebooking, Surfing and Peggle primarily. I also did a lot of Xcode on it, but I find that it's a little slow with IB and doing Quartz Composer. The iPad fills the space for me nicely.

One thing is sucks at is message boarding, though. I find typing on it to only work for the most rudimentary communication. The Apple BT keyboard doesn't fit well into a bag.

Again, we all have different needs. Mine have moved with this last round of Apple products. I am honestly sorry Apple has chosen to not update the MBA for your needs. :( It's a great laptop, but it needs some of the more modern tech to make it effective.

pharmx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Yup yup! It's totally true. I did use my MBA for Facebooking, Surfing and Peggle primarily. I also did a lot of Xcode on it, but I find that it's a little slow with IB and doing Quartz Composer. The iPad fills the space for me nicely.

One thing is sucks at is message boarding, though. I find typing on it to only work for the most rudimentary communication. The Apple BT keyboard doesn't fit well into a bag.

Again, we all have different needs. Mine have moved with this last round of Apple products. I am honestly sorry Apple has chosen to not update the MBA for your needs. :( It's a great laptop, but it needs some of the more modern tech to make it effective.

I haven't had any problems with IB, but then again I'm almost always connected to an external monitor when dealing with IB, PhotoShop, or any sort of graphical/UI applications. I guess it's the "plug-n-play" aspect of the MBA that I will miss the most. It functions perfectly well as a primary computer when part of a "work station" setup (connected to external monitor, BT keyboard, BT mouse, networked via TC), yet completely capable as a mobile device when away from that sort of setup. I haven't gone completely cloud yet like flynz4, but that is my dream setup, and what I was hoping to do when/if the Air gets updated.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

I have 3 iPads now for my family (my personal one is 64GB 3G). Yes, it is thinner and ligher, but for my usage, it falls short of replacing my daily laptop. It is spectacular at certain tasks however.

Using my "parking space" analogy, my iPad is a motorcycle, which is even easier to park than my Prius, but it doesn't do the job when I have two passengers, its raining, and I have 2 weeks of groceries to haul.

I agree we all have different needs. My basic need is an ultralight portable that can function as my primary computer, augmented by my 27" i7 iMac. The current MBA fits that need well, so I do not really need an upgrade. In my case, my wife wants to take over my MBA, and I am holding off until I can get an upgrade out of the deal. She is fine with waiting... because she knows me well enough that I would buy the next new model anyway. Delaying her aquisition of my current MBA is her way of keeping our checkbook balanced. :)

/Jim

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
First, let me say that those who claim that the new 13 inch MBP is, somehow, not a real computer because it doesn't have an i5 CPU haven't been paying attention to the facts. The 13 inch MBP's integrated NVIDIA 320m GPU is far more capable than the built in, and underpowered, GPU on the i5 chip. Apple would have been forced to give its 13 inch MBP buyers substandard graphics, though, if it had gone with an i5 in the 13 inch MBP. Apple's choice of the C2D processor and 320m graphics was a good one. There is little enough difference in the processing power of the 2.4Ghz i5 used in the 15 inch MBP and the 2.4Ghz C2D used in the 13 inch as to be undetectable in ordinary everyday use. The new 13 inch MBP is a fine computer.

pharmx

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
First, let me say that those who claim that the new 13 inch MBP is, somehow, not a real computer because it doesn't have an i5 CPU haven't been paying attention to the facts. The 13 inch MBP's integrated NVIDIA 320m GPU is far more capable than the built in, and underpowered, GPU on the i5 chip. Apple would have been forced to give its 13 inch MBP buyers substandard graphics, though, if it had gone with an i5 in the 13 inch MBP. Apple's choice of the C2D processor and 320m graphics was a good one. There is little enough difference in the processing power of the 2.4Ghz i5 used in the 15 inch MBP and the 2.4Ghz C2D used in the 13 inch as to be undetectable in ordinary everyday use. The new 13 inch MBP is a fine computer.

Did I miss something?

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
I believe that the Macbook air and mac pro are not updated as much as the macbooks and macbook pros because people don't buy them as much compared to the macbooks, etc.

soph

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I believe that the Macbook air and mac pro are not updated as much as the macbooks and macbook pros because people don't buy them as much compared to the macbooks, etc.

Well, yes, but they will be even less bought if not upgraded... Even dramatically so, IMO.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I also sold mine yesterday. It will be dearly missed, but I haven't even turned it on since I got my iPad.

I have a crotch rocket, a Honda CBR600 and not a car - so it remains to be seen if I can carry my 15 inch to grad school on a daily basis. It's a lot of weight to sling over a shoulder. I think there may be a 13 inch MBP in my future. Either that, or I might give the Apple BT keyboard a try. I really wish there were a foldable product on the market.

bluescity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2010
The new 13 inch MBP is a fine computer.

Obviously, I'm happy to hear you say that given that I just dropped 2Gs on it.

On that note, I got the FedEx tracking number early this morning. So it is on its way. Can't wait to share my first impressions.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
I fell in love with the 13" with the first Aluminum MacBook.

I've been using a 13" Aluminum Mac in some form or another since 2008. ZERO regrets. It never lets me down.

I'm currently on last-year's 13" MacBook Pro. I plan to use it as my main for about five years, and keep it for as long as it's running, a decade or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.