Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
I dunno bout you, but I got through two hour-long flights while gaming. I just love when the person next to you has a clear reaction to Doom 3 when you whip out the chainsaw.

No sir, blasting demons back to hell with shotguns and chain guns is a-ok, using a chainsaw to eviscerate them? Tsk tsk.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Obviously, I'm happy to hear you say that given that I just dropped 2Gs on it.

On that note, I got the FedEx tracking number early this morning. So it is on its way. Can't wait to share my first impressions.

I fell in love with the 13" with the first Aluminum MacBook.

I've been using a 13" Aluminum Mac in some form or another since 2008. ZERO regrets. It never lets me down.

I'm currently on last-year's 13" MacBook Pro. I plan to use it as my main for about five years, and keep it for as long as it's running, a decade or two.
My grandson recently got a 13 inch MBP and I have had the opportunity to use it fairly extensively today. I am impressed. I have had nothing but 17 inch Mac laptops since 2003 but am coming around to the idea that the 13 inch model may be a better choice for me next time. I haven't missed the 17 inch screen's additional real estate but have really appreciated the 13 inch model's smaller size and lighter weight.

gimmi80

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
I've got my refurb today and it was a lemon. The airport card was gone... nothing to do.

I went to the apple store and they gave me a new MBP.

I'm happy about that but the MBA was faster.
I'm sure, the SSD is what makes the difference.

I used it all day and I didn't find any performance improvement vs the MBA.
Maybe battery life... but that's it.
Maybe the SD card reader but I use only Sandisk plus and it was ok.

I'll have to save the $ to get the intel x25 or go with the cheaper momentus xt. I read some positive reviews...

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I've got my refurb today and it was a lemon. The airport card was gone... nothing to do.

I went to the apple store and they gave me a new MBP.

I'm happy about that but the MBA was faster.
I'm sure, the SSD is what makes the difference.

I used it all day and I didn't find any performance improvement vs the MBA.
Maybe battery life... but that's it.
Maybe the SD card reader but I use only Sandisk plus and it was ok.

I'll have to save the $ to get the intel x25 or go with the cheaper momentus xt. I read some positive reviews...

I've had the x-25 g1. It's a great piece of tech! Anandtech has a super positive review.

Awesome that you got a new Macbook! It came with no card in it at all???!!!

Metlin

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Cambridge, MA
Well, I can only speak for myself - but I think the iPad covers the space where I need an ultraportable. The MBA used to be the best for my needs, now it's the iPad. It's faster, and the 3G is a massive advantage. If they come out with a more portable keyboard, I'll be able to take notes in class, and that will be the end of it.

Also, by your logic, the iPad is even better since it's smaller, thinner and lighter. There are gradations of needs, and tradeoffs you can make.

I literally just put my MBA on Craig's List. I haven't used it once since getting the iPad. If I miss it, I'll get the 13 inch MBP.

Not particularly - the iPad is a great entertainment device, but the times when I desperately need an ultraportable is when I'm traveling.

I just went and plonked down some money on a new 13" MBP and I also just got an iPad - but I still love my MBA.

In the past couple of years, I've flown ~500,000 miles around the world. As a consultant, I take my work laptop - which is a clunky ThinkPad - and I got myself the MBA only to be an additional, portable laptop.

There is no way in hell that the iPad can be a replacement for an MBA. Hell, Numbers and Keynote are a joke compared to Excel.

Plus, you cannot use a bluetooth keyboard when you're on a 13 hour plane ride, which pretty much invalidates the portability/flexibility of the iPad for anything other than consuming content.

The MBA is simply fantastic for travel. There is no comparison. The iPad is a toy and nothing more. The MBP is great if you don't mind lugging around the extra 2 lb around the world, but for some of us the 2lbs add up.

(Let's see -- my laptop bag now has my ThinkPad, MBA, iPad, chargers and travel adapters, sleep mask, ear plugs, medbox with everything from multivitamins and pepcid to special medications, earphones, business cards, privacy screens, pens, portfolio and notebook, external USB HDDs and thumb drives, GPS, VPN access cards, and sunglasses, emergency tie + cufflinks, emergency deodorant, emergency nutri bars, emergency tea and coffee -- and of course, my handpresso).

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Not particularly - the iPad is a great entertainment device, but the times when I desperately need an ultraportable is when I'm traveling.

I just went and plonked down some money on a new 13" MBP and I also just got an iPad - but I still love my MBA.

In the past couple of years, I've flown ~500,000 miles around the world. As a consultant, I take my work laptop - which is a clunky ThinkPad - and I got myself the MBA only to be an additional, portable laptop.

There is no way in hell that the iPad can be a replacement for an MBA. Hell, Numbers and Keynote are a joke compared to Excel.

Plus, you cannot use a bluetooth keyboard when you're on a 13 hour plane ride, which pretty much invalidates the portability/flexibility of the iPad for anything other than consuming content.

The MBA is simply fantastic for travel. There is no comparison. The iPad is a toy and nothing more. The MBP is great if you don't mind lugging around the extra 2 lb around the world, but for some of us the 2lbs add up.

(Let's see -- my laptop bag now has my ThinkPad, MBA, iPad, chargers and travel adapters, sleep mask, ear plugs, medbox with everything from multivitamins and pepcid to special medications, earphones, business cards, privacy screens, pens, portfolio and notebook, external USB HDDs and thumb drives, GPS, VPN access cards, and sunglasses, emergency tie + cufflinks, emergency deodorant, emergency nutri bars, emergency tea and coffee -- and of course, my handpresso).

No, that's awesome. I think a big difference is what you do for a living. If Excel is a work tool for you, then the MBA is right up your alley. For my work, I need as much power as I can get. I have a 15 inch i7. There is no way on earth a MBA can do my actual work.

Metlin

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Cambridge, MA
No, that's awesome. I think a big difference is what you do for a living. If Excel is a work tool for you, then the MBA is right up your alley. For my work, I need as much power as I can get. I have a 15 inch i7. There is no way on earth a MBA can do my actual work.

Of course! I realize that outside of Admiral's Club and United RC Lounge, you really can't see very many other MBAs.

That said, I'll certainly not be complaining if Apple made a more powerful MBA -- even at a significantly higher price point. Unfortunately, that's not an option at the moment. :(

bluescity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2010
In the past couple of years, I've flown ~500,000 miles around the world. y handpresso).

Damn, that's a lot of flying. I don't do nearly that much - only about 8 business trips a year, 1 or 2 of which are international. Still, here's my thought about planes and computers:

So the keyboard, as you say, is essential for me to work (I'm composing in Word - low power needs but big demand on typing). So the iPad is out for that. However, here's where the MBA would also fail me - battery. I HATE - HATE - roaming around looking for an outlet in airports. Some airports of them (maybe for $ reasons) have even started eliminating them.

Of course, if you are in some kind of Admirals club, you probably don't worry about this. But hey - that's a pretty rarefied crowd.

bluescity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Update on my 13MBP

Jun 12, 2010 1:09 PM - arrived in Anchorage, AK.

I'm hoping for a Monday delivery.

Metlin

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Cambridge, MA
Damn, that's a lot of flying. I don't do nearly that much - only about 8 business trips a year, 1 or 2 of which are international.

If it's domestic, I usually fly out first thing Mondays and fly back Thursdays/Fridays every week. If it's international, I usually and return state-side every 2-3 weeks. The miles add up. :) I'm at ~80k miles already this year.

Still, here's my thought about planes and computers:

So the keyboard, as you say, is essential for me to work (I'm composing in Word - low power needs but big demand on typing). So the iPad is out for that. However, here's where the MBA would also fail me - battery. I HATE - HATE - roaming around looking for an outlet in airports. Some airports of them (maybe for $ reasons) have even started eliminating them.

Of course, if you are in some kind of Admirals club, you probably don't worry about this. But hey - that's a pretty rarefied crowd.

Yup, that's the biggest reason I love those lounges. In fact, if you've a Platinum Corporate Amex, you can enter Admirals Clubs for free.

I usually fly American or British Airways, and most of those planes have a power outlet next to the seats, especially in first/business (gotta love those free frequent flyer upgrades!). I've the Magsafe Airline Adapter, which makes a huge difference. It doesn't charge the battery, but it keeps it going.

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
Just purchased: 13'' with 256 SSD.

Sorry Scottsdale.

Seriously, I'm psyched. I was torn anyway, because I travel a lot and really like to watch DVDs on my computer in my hotel. So the optical was a big plus for me. Oh I can't wait!!

It's a make sense decision
and the fact that you still have use feor the discs just automatically disqualify you as a potential MBA owner
I mean, yes, you can still buy the Air, sure. Nothing is going to prevent you from buying it, but it's going to cost a lot of extra, unnecessary hassles before you can start doing things that matters.

Congrads for getting the MBP, hope you are enjoying your new machine :)

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
To me, the most important consideration, by far, in deciding whether to buy a 13 inch MBP now or wait for an updated MBA is whether you are going to be able to live with the MBP's significantly heavier weight over time. If you can, the MBP is a no brainer. Not only is it a cheaper and more powerful machine than the MBA out of the box, it is expandable. The difference in weight between the MBA's 3 pounds and the MBP's 4.5 pounds is significant, though. I am still on the bubble. I have used my grandson's new 13 inch MBP a lot lately and have fallen in love with it. On the other hand, every time I have gone into the Apple store and compared the MBA to the 13 inch MBP, I have fallen in love with the MBA all over again because of its elegant form factor and light weight. Thus, It's no wonder that so many of us continue to wait for the updated MBA, despite the availability of the excellent 13 inch MBP.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
It never will be. The MacBook Air is a novelty item, thus, Apple prices it to sell to the people highly interested in that form factor. It's a very niche market, as far as computers go.

i can see how someone can say that without using one extensively.
So i disagree with you Sir.
With moderate use the current air is still good enough for me for one more year. I'll spend the money on 2 new iphones instead.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Right...but the price is certainly adjusted because it's an attractive model, not because it has amazing features.

bluescity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Tease

FedEx rang my door just past 9AM. I was excited as my tracking check an hour earlier showed my MBP on the truck.

Alas, all he handed me was the box with my free 16GB Nano. So I'm still at home, waiting...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.