'Entry-Level' 13-inch MacBook, Redesigned iPad Pros With Faster 18W USB-C Charger Coming in September, But no New iPad Mini

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple will launch its much-rumored "entry-level" MacBook in September, according to a report by DigiTimes outlining Apple's upcoming product launches. The website says the new MacBook will be priced at $1200, according to industry sources, and will be powered by 14-nanometer Kaby Lake CPU architecture, following delays to Intel's 10-nm rollout.

[​IMG]

Earlier this year, DigiTimes said that Apple will release the first MacBook Air with a Retina display in the second half of 2018, and claimed that it will be a 13-inch model in a separate report. It also recently said Quanta will assemble new "inexpensive notebooks" for Apple in the fourth quarter. However, the idea of a $1200 MacBook Air leaves the question of a sub-$1000 MacBook offering wide open.

TrendForce believes Apple will release a new MacBook Air in September or October, while both Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman expect Apple to release a new entry-level notebook later this year. Whether that's a MacBook or a MacBook Air remains unclear, but Gurman expects at least one of them to have a $999 starting price.

Today's DigiTimes report also claims Apple will use the September event to announce the "launch schedule" for its wireless AirPower charger, costing in the region of $160-$190. Apple previewed its multi-device AirPower charging mat at its iPhone X event last September, and confirmed that it will be released at some point in 2018, but it has yet to reveal how much it will cost. An earlier rumor citing "industry insiders" has suggested a price point of around $149.

Apple is expected to announce two new iPad Pro models this September measuring in at 11 and 12.9-inches, featuring slimmer bezels and a TrueDepth camera with support for Face ID. DigiTimes claims the two redesigned iPad Pros will sit alongside Apple's 9.7-inch iPad and iPad mini 4 to complete its tablet lineup, but notably the report also claims Apple has "no further plan" for the iPad mini.

Elsewhere in today's round-up, DigiTimes claims Apple's next-generation iPad Pro models will come with a newly designed 18-watt USB-C power adapter for faster charging. Apple is rumored to be including the more powerful charger with its new trio of iPhones coming this year, but this is the first time we've heard that it could also feature as part of Apple's iPad lineup. The adapter would presumably connect to the iPads with a Lightning to USB-C cable, also included in the box.

Apple's iPads have traditionally come with 10-12W adapters, so including the 18W USB-C power adapter would make sense as it would allow for faster charging without requiring users to purchase separate charging accessories at additional cost. Apple's current iPad Pro models already support fast charging using one of Apple's USB-C charge adapters paired with a Lightning cable. With this setup, a 2017 iPad Pro can be charged in half the time.

Lastly, today's DigiTimes report reiterates previous rumors surrounding Apple's new 2018 iPhone lineup, which is expected to include two OLED models measuring in at 5.8 and 6.5 inches, and a 6.1-inch lower-cost LCD model. All three will feature Face ID and edge-to-edge displays.

Article Link: 'Entry-Level' 13-inch MacBook, Redesigned iPad Pros With Faster 18W USB-C Charger Coming in September, But no New iPad Mini

2. Mettwurst macrumors newbie

Mettwurst

3. itsreakk macrumors newbie

I'm really excited about this new Macbook, but I'm afraid I will be terribly disappointed just as the last years with Apple's product launches

4. levitynyc macrumors 65816

The fact that Apple still can’t make a sub $1000 retina MacBook Air or MacBook is pretty laughable.

5. profets macrumors 601

18W in the box makes way more sense than 10-12W chargers.

Not surprised about the mini, but wish they would either give it some attention or just remove it from the lineup. It’s going to be still sold as new with the 4 year old A8.

I absolutely love the mini for eBook reading. And it’s been an excellent size for kids to use.

6. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

I do. A 10 inch tablet is too large and too heavy for my purposes.

7. obiwan macrumors 6502

No new iPad Mini I can cope with, but if there's no new Mac Mini that would be a travesty.

8. nahkampfwombi macrumors member

Who said they couldn't ?
    They just don't want to.
    If I would be Apple, I would never build such a cheap laptop with retina display.

As a customer I really want them to give me a cheap retina laptop.
    So I can trade in my 13" MBP TB ...

9. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

I hope the new ipad is 16.9 aspect ratio like 10.5 dont want taller screen

10. alexhardaker macrumors member

11. profets macrumors 601

Yeah, I’m kind of amazed that 3.5 years later the 12” MacBook hasn’t moved in price. I can appreciate at launch that they couldn’t hit the $999 price point with a new product like that. But you’d think over time if the purpose of it was a low end laptop to sit alongside the MacBook Pro that after 3.5 years they could have slowly reached $999 and maybe even had a 13-14” non-Pro version of it as well.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 17, 2018 ---
    Haven’t all iPads been 4:3 aspect ratio, including the 10.5? 16:9 would make it feel awkwardly taller.

12. pete2106 macrumors 6502

pete2106

Come on Apple. You disappointed me by not showing shiny new iPad Pro models at WWDC but all will be forgiven if you give them to me in September. Ideally in time to take advantage of the Back to School promotion.

13. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

The 13" MacBook Pro is the new MacBook Air.

Let's rewind time for a moment. It's Thursday, October 27, and Apple's event is under way.

Imagine that instead of introducing the new MacBook Pro, Apple unveiled a new MacBook Air. One that's 12 percent lighter, 13 percent smaller by volume and practically the same weight -- but manages to cram in a faster Intel processor, faster graphics, plus the far sharper, brighter and more colorful Retina Display the MacBook Air so desperately needed.

Sure, it starts at $1,500 rather than $1,000, but you get twice the solid-state storage for the price -- and you can double the RAM, quadruple the storage and get the awesome new Touch Bar secondary screenwith Touch ID fingerprint sensor if you're willing to pay even more.

How long has your MacBook Air had a 1.6GHz processor? This new one is 2.0GHz or 2.9GHz; there's even a 3.3GHz option.

And sure, it's got a thinner keyboard and only two (or four) general-purpose Thunderbolt 3 ports instead of handy full-size USB ports and SD card slots. But we, Apple, figured you'd rather have a more accurate keyboard and amazing single-cable Thunderbolt 3 docking options to go with your mobile MacBook Air lifestyle.

[​IMG]
    Now, you can pull your MacBook Air right out of your manila envelope and plug in a single cable to charge it, dock with your peripherals and power multiple monitors all at the same time.

Oh, and one more thing: we knew you'd like the MacBook Air so much, we built a 15-inch model. You won't believe how fast it is -- this Air has a quad-core CPU that's 50 percent faster than last year's MacBook Pro! The graphics are over twice as fast, and yet we've kept the same 10 hour battery life as the 13-inch version.

If you've ever wanted to edit photos or home videos on a MacBook Air, this computer's for you. Oh, and it comes standard with the Touch Bar and Touch ID, too.

We think you're going to love the new MacBook Air. It's the best MacBook we've ever made.

14. Relentless Power, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re saying that like there’s not a demographic or market for the iPad mini, when many want the iPad mini strictly because of the form factor and size for ease of use one handed. The iPad mini will probably be one of the most popular tablets ever made in the iPad line up for those reasons alone.

15. pete2106 macrumors 6502

pete2106

They're actually super handy. My mum has two that she uses. She can easily carry one around in her bag.

16. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

My iPhone X is good enough for at least another year but definitely looking forward to the new redesigned iPad Pro and I will be buying one once it is available.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Partially, you set yourself up for disappointment if you think you will be ‘terribly disappointed’. Just stay open-minded to see what they have to offer for their product lineup this year. Not every product has to appease to the consumer or be intended for them to like it.

18. dantroline macrumors regular

dantroline

I'm really excited that I've nearly finished migrating away from Apple. Ready for the hardware transition as devices come up for renewal. Frustration has outweighed reward for too long with Apple hardware. Last straw was a USB-C adaptor that had a book placed on it accidentally when plugged into a MBP. This managed to deform the MBP's frame! No more thousands forked out by me to buy the equivalent of aluminium foil. The competition has caught up IMO.

And for what it's worth, I've decided it's more socially responsible to buy a product from a company that doesn't evade tax at every opportunity.

19. MacFather, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018

MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Best form factor as a drone controller
    [​IMG]

or in the car
    [​IMG]

also best form factor for pilots, reading books in bed, as a POS terminal, and so on...

20. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

The thing that Apple calls „entry“ nowadays makes me question my salary lol

In an actual customer oriented world, they would just get rid of the MacBook Air and simply have a cheaper < 1.000$ entry MacBook and an MacBook Pro. Makes no sense to me to keep a 3rd option like an Air around. Even the iPad got the „iPad“ and the „iPad Pro“ Version just like the iPhone which should actually be called iPhone and „iPhone Pro“ in my opinion

Such a messy line up

21. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

MacBook 12” at $999 and a 13” version at $1200, both will probably be configurable to higher specs such as 16GB Ram and so on.

22. Rangertuf macrumors newbie

I tend to agree with this. What is the difference in purpose between the Macbook and Macbook Air? Both are very portable machines with limited processing power.
    I remember looking at a Macbook Air years ago and being stunned by its thinness. Nowadays all macbooks are that thin. "Macbook Air" is still a very strong name I think.

23. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

If the current MacBook line sees a fairly substantial (20% or so) price drop, a new Air could sit between the MacBook and MacBook Pro lineups. Bobob’s rollout scenario earlier in this thread makes good sense, but the price of the standard MacBook needs to come down and the non-Touchbar MBPs will likely fade off into the sunset. They’ll become the 12” MacBook Pro for a new era.

24. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

My girlfriend.

While my 13" MacBook and my 5.5" phone cover my needs perfectly, I think the Mini is just cute.

25. manu chao macrumors 603

You'll be able to buy a 6.5" 'tablet' soon for the low price of $999.