• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is looking to launch an updated ninth-generation iPad with a larger 10.5-inch display and the A13 chip in Spring 2021, according to Chinese website cnBeta.

ipadairgold.jpg

The report, spotted by iMore, speculates that the ninth-generation iPad will be similar to the current eighth-generation iPad, but with a number of minor improvements. The ninth-generation iPad is said to have a larger, 10.5-inch LED display, the A13 Bionic chip, 4GB of RAM, and a thinner, lighter design. It will reportedly still have a Home Button with Touch ID and the Lightning port.

It would be possible to achieve a larger 10.5-inch display and thinner design by reusing the chassis and front panel of the third-generation iPad Air. This seems highly plausible because Apple tends to trickle designs down its iPad lineup. For example, the design of the first-generation iPad Air came to the fifth-generation iPad, the design of the 10.5-inch iPad Pro came to the third-generation iPad Air, and the design of the 11-inch iPad Pro came to the fourth-generation iPad Air.

The third-generation iPad Air is 0.07 pounds lighter and 1.4mm thinner than the eighth-generation iPad, has a 10.5-inch display, and retains the Lightning port and Home Button, so it clearly meets the remit of what is expected from the ninth-generation iPad. Reusing this design would also allow Apple to keep costs down for the lower price point of the iPad.

These rumored specifications would also offer some clear upgrades over the current model, while not cannibalizing the mid-range fourth-generation iPad Air, which has a 10.9-inch display, the A14 chip, Touch ID integrated into the Power Button, and USB-C.

However, it would be peculiar for Apple to update its entry-level iPad so soon after the eighth-generation model was released. Apple unveiled the eighth-generation as recently as September with the A12 Bionic chip. Yet this was a very minor update, with only the chip being upgraded from the A10 Fusion to the A12 Bionic. No other specs were changed. So while this ninth-generation iPad is rumored to be released sooner than expected, it is perhaps made more likely by the fact that the previous update was so minor.

The report says that the ninth-generation iPad may start at a slightly lower $299 price point with storage configurations starting at 64GB, which is double that of the current-generation.

Article Link: Entry-Level iPad With 10.5-Inch Display and A13 Chip Rumored for Spring 2021

creediddy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Apple give consumers an Apple Pro phone with an A15X next year. Power reduction is falling rapidly to make this happen.

Comment

Dwalls90

Contributor
Feb 5, 2009
The only reason there is some possibility to this being true (despite the fact Apple just gave a spec bump to the iPad, which was really only moving it from the A10 -> A12 chip), is because Apple likely has lots of binned chassis parts from the previous gen iPad Air they're trying to get rid of, or have developed economies of scale from producing it for so many years that it's not expensive to produce.

In terms of internals, storage is so cheap and 64Gb as entry level seems more reasonable nowadays. Apple doesn't sell an iPhone with anything below 64Gb of storage anymore, so this makes sense. The cost to produce the A13 vs. A12 is probably negligible too.

Curious what the fate of the mini will be. If Apple updates the "normal" iPad in the Spring, we'll probably also see it updated alongside the iPad Pro, which is overdue. I wonder if Apple is slowly moving iPad releases to the Spring for the entire line (with the exception of the new Air, since it just launched)

Reactions: GregoriusM
Comment

locrumo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2020
A14 and Touch ID‌ WOW!

A13 yes,i just so excited reading about the TouchID is back finally in 2025

Last edited:
Comment

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2019
Selling old tech (at a "discount") along with new tech. Only Apple can get away with this.

And frankly, I'm glad, 'cause newer ain't always better for everybody.

Tim really is a money-making genius.

EDIT: I don't buy this happening so soon after the 8th generation update.

Last edited:
Comment

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
It kind of stinks the 12" screen is only on the Pro. My grandmother uses the iPad, and the 12" screen is perfect because you can increase the scale and increase the font size without making everything look silly. But she doesn't need the latest-and-greatest SoC or any other fancy Pro features.

I feel the same away about the Macbook Pro 16". I wish there was computer with the Macbook Air specs but a 16" screen. I don't need a dGPU and the latest-and-greatest bazillion-core CPU. I just want some more screen real-estate.

Comment

fbr$

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2020
The entry-level iPad growing to 10.5" probably means that the iPad mini will grow to 8.5" to 9" and the mini will get the same design as the iPad Air. That's good news!

Reactions: Icaras
Comment

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I would like some rumors on a Mini Pro with Touch ID on the power button. I want Touch ID on the phone too BTW.

Reactions: johnmarki
Comment

reallynotnick

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Man this would be quite the upgrade, chip update, 1GB more RAM, bigger screen, double storage and $30 cheaper? And so quick?

Next you're going to tell me it has a laminated screen and stereo speakers in landscape mode.

• Haha
Reactions: GregoriusM
Comment

performa_6400

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2020
It'll probably sell decently, but I'm sure anyone that follows where Apple is with chips would probably skip this release.

Comment

jordanclark1993

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2009
Has Apple ever put out a refresh that quick? We just had 8th gen in September. I can’t imagine this until fall 2021. It just doesn’t make any sense to me why they would rush this out when the 2020 iPad 8th gen is a great device with the XS processor in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.