Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
The only reason there is some possibility to this being true (despite the fact Apple just gave a spec bump to the iPad, which was really only moving it from the A10 -> A12 chip), is because Apple likely has lots of binned chassis parts from the previous gen iPad Air they're trying to get rid of, or have developed economies of scale from producing it for so many years that it's not expensive to produce.

In terms of internals, storage is so cheap and 64Gb as entry level seems more reasonable nowadays. Apple doesn't sell an iPhone with anything below 64Gb of storage anymore, so this makes sense. The cost to produce the A13 vs. A12 is probably negligible too.

Curious what the fate of the mini will be. If Apple updates the "normal" iPad in the Spring, we'll probably also see it updated alongside the iPad Pro, which is overdue. I wonder if Apple is slowly moving iPad releases to the Spring for the entire line (with the exception of the new Air, since it just launched)
Economy of scale and sustained volume order rebates from suppliers.

Reactions: GregoriusM

rockinaut59

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018
If the display is laminated to the glass, and supports the DCI-P3 Color Gamut, then I think I would buy this. I'm not happy that it would still charge the Pencil the "Ive way", but it is what it is. Also, I don't think they will phase out the Home Button design until the next iPhone SE comes out (which will probably be a spec updated iPhone XR).

brerlappin

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
So this will sort of be like iPad Air 3.5. It'll be interesting to see if it gets 256GB or remain at 128GB.

Reactions: Homme

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Not everybody wants the very expensive Air or the Apple Pencil 2. I'd certainly buy one of these as a back up to my Pro 10.5s.
Agreed. I say this to someone almost once a day. The standard 32gb iPad is one of the best values in tech and all the tablet 99% of regular folks would ever need. And you don't have to worry about it bending if you look at it sideways.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Seeing comments on people wishing for a laminated display for this iPad ?‍♂️

sorry but it won’t happen at least for some time, this iPad is meant to be low cost for a variety of factors (like a cheap base iPad, education, etc) and giving it a laminated display will jack up the price. Unless laminated displays are far cheaper to maintain the current selling price then I don’t see why not

if anything I think with this (and maybe other generations if it doesn’t come to this ) iPad with the display/screen I see PCI-3 color and True Tone before laminated display/anti-reflective coating, like any iPhone since the 8

Reactions: GregoriusM

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I really enjoy my iPad Pro 11”, but I miss the lightning port. I miss travelling with just ONE charging brick for my iPhone and iPad.

Apple have been clear that they are not moving to USB-C on the phones, so I would actually be tempted by going back to this. Especially with a laminated screen at a compelling price point.

Reactions: bobby68

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
It's funny how we all joked that it doesnt sound like Apple to have 0.2" differences among so many models.... welp it's true now

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I'm exactly the opposite on the laminated point… the cost of replacement of a laminated screen still makes it too expensive for the $300 price point (which is necessary for the K12 EDU market). If anything, I'd like to see a $299 iPad with 64GB and updated CPU; then bump the 128GB to a laminated 10.5-inch screen (with both having the same chassis, so case-size is the same for both in the generation).
I have to agree that the laminated screen is indeed a maintenance downside.
It‘s nice to have the option to simply replace the outer digitiser for peanuts should this exposed part get scratched or damaged, rather than 20x as much for the underlying display as well.
Admittedly; pretty much everyone uses a screen protector, but that’s not absolutely perfect.
The inverse of having to replace the outer glass should there be a display fault is less of an issue, as the extra cost is a smaller proportion. And such a failt would probably be for Apple warranty anyway.

Reactions: Homme

Anteater23

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2020
I can see this happening.
The reason for this bigger iPad is to widen the gap between the sizes of the basic iPad and new iPad mini. Apple wants it so that more people who want smaller iPad get the more expensive mini.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
It kind of stinks the 12" screen is only on the Pro. My grandmother uses the iPad, and the 12" screen is perfect because you can increase the scale and increase the font size without making everything look silly. But she doesn't need the latest-and-greatest SoC or any other fancy Pro features.

I feel the same away about the Macbook Pro 16". I wish there was computer with the Macbook Air specs but a 16" screen. I don't need a dGPU and the latest-and-greatest bazillion-core CPU. I just want some more screen real-estate.
Yes, I too want a 16" MBA. No need for a supercomputer, just want a decent sized screen.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
iPad 5 used the iPad Air 1 chassis, not the Air 2 one. The Air 2 chassis was then used for the first iPad Pro

Oops I got mixed up there.

Don’t iPad Air 3 and iPad 8th gen already use the same chassis, enabling Smart Keyboard compatibility?

Anyway, the point being that the laminated display reduces thickness by 0.05inch, independently of the chassis/internals. It’s like putting a thinner or thicker piece of bread on the top of a sandwich.

brerlappin

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
Oops I got mixed up there.

Don’t iPad Air 3 and iPad 8th gen already use the same chassis, enabling Smart Keyboard compatibility?

Anyway, the point being that the laminated display reduces thickness by 0.05inch, independently of the chassis/internals. It’s like putting a thinner or thicker piece of bread on the top of a sandwich.
No worries! I think 8th gen still uses a thicker Air 1-like chassis than the Air 3 but with the smart connector along the side.

It’ll be interesting to see how this pans out. It would definitely keep costs down for the budget iPad to have the non-laminated display. I’m also curious about storage exceeding 128GB

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
No worries! I think 8th gen still uses a thicker Air 1-like chassis than the Air 3 but with the smart connector along the side.

It’ll be interesting to see how this pans out. It would definitely keep costs down for the budget iPad to have the non-laminated display. I’m also curious about storage exceeding 128GB
All of the budget iPads have 7.5mm thickness. Air 3 and all of the iPad Pros that aren’t 3rd Gen and above (5.9mm i believe for the edge to edge. Pros) have the same thickness as Air 2 (6.1mm)

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Seeing comments on people wishing for a laminated display for this iPad ?‍♂️

sorry but it won’t happen at least for some time, this iPad is meant to be low cost for a variety of factors (like a cheap base iPad, education, etc) and giving it a laminated display will jack up the price. Unless laminated displays are far cheaper to maintain the current selling price then I don’t see why not

if anything I think with this (and maybe other generations if it doesn’t come to this ) iPad with the display/screen I see PCI-3 color and True Tone before laminated display/anti-reflective coating, like any iPhone since the 8

see. I’m correct, again no way apple will give the base iPad a laminated display but give it True Tone and better color ( sRGB but I was close)

Reactions: Frixos
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.