Eos m

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by robbieduncan, Jul 20, 2012.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

2. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Meh.

No built-in EVF = not for me. I've been spoiled by the X100 and X-Pro1.

3. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

I agree with Edge, without an EVF it kind of misses the mark. Of course what I'm hoping is that they do what Nikon did with the V1 and J1, and what has been leaked is the J1 equivalent and that they have a camera with an EVF as well.

I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

4. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

The biggest problem that pops out to me is lack of direct controls. There isn't even the usual mode selector dial, so you would have to dive into menus to go to AP, TP, or M and then again to select the values. Plus, with so few buttons/knobs/wheels on the exterior, I would guess that it is mainly touch screen.

Still, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Good sir, the Fuji cameras have a parallax-affected hybrid optical viewfinder, not an EVF.
    (but yeah an EVF is a must for all MILCs and SLTs)

6. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

Forget about the camera, Canon worked out how to make a decent lens cap! This is a major leap forward.

7. avro707 macrumors 6502a

It's a Canon - what do you expect? :D :p

Jokes aside, let's wait and see how it goes. They might have been wise to at least give a few more controls for major functions as proper selectors, rather than I presume in the menus.

And does the hot-shoe get any kind of cover?

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Looks great! Might sell my m43! :D

For me, the main selling points are small size and picture quality. If I wanted a viewfinder, I'd use my DSLR... if I want small and light I'm perfectly happy to forgo that and use a rear LCD.

The interface design will be interesting. It could be that more manual controls are accessed through the touch screen - which isn't too much of a problem.

Looking forward to the official announcement on Monday!

9. Prodo123, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

From what I see, it uses the standard EF mount but by the dimensions, it would need a flange focal distance extender to work correctly with EF and EF-S lenses.

Also, based on the photos, this camera is likely to be a fancy P&S with interchangeable lenses. Notice the lack of a shutter curtain; the camera might use progressive scans like that found in phones to take a photo instead of a physical mechanical shutter like most DSLRs.

This camera has a Micro Four-Thirds sensor.

10. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

That's the whole point of a mirrorless design!! (unless your name is Pentax)

Unlikely. This type of camera always has the shutter curtain open by default in order to facilitate the live viewfinder. It probably just can't be seen in the photo.

Unlikely. There's a possibility that it has the same size of sensor found in the G1X (slightly larger than m43). It's more likely to be APSC size.

11. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I think the flash mount is very interesting! It would be cool to see a 580 or a 600 mounted on the EOS M! :eek: I'm sure they will sell to Joe & Jane public!

12. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

To be fair, that's the normal average hotshoe found everywhere.
    Even my cruddy 480p camcorder has one. With a 1/4-20 to hotshoe adapter, I can plug in my DSLR to it...well in this case I guess the camcorder would be attached to the camera but you get the idea.

13. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Actually, they do have an EVF as well as an optical VF. Hence the "hybrid" designation.

Everywhere...

...everywhere except for every NEX camera (though the NEX-7 has a standard adapter for its non-standard hotshoe), both Nikon 1 cameras, and the GF3/GF5.

In any case, while it's nice to see Canon finally in the game, I hope they'll follow up with a model with more external controls and an EVF, as well as a good lens lineup.

14. Prodo123, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

It has an optical viewfinder with an LCD overlay, but much more advanced than the one found in DSLR OVFs. It merely allows displaying of electronic data on an optical viewfinder; the "hybrid" designation is nothing more than marketing.

Sony should be excluded because its hotshoe is a legacy hotshoe from the Minolta days. Makes sense, since we all know Sony bought Minolta's camera division.
    I don't understand why Nikon decided not to put a universal hotshoe on top of the 1 series' EVFs. They do sell adapters, however. Mainly a design flaw (plus, who buys Nikon 1?).
    THe GF3/5 lack a hotshoe altogether...again, a design flaw.

Jeez, I'm just pointing out the fact that it's the exact same mount as the EF mount! You can't mount an Alpha-mount lens onto an E-mount camera; it's physically impossible. Same with EF-S on EF. But in this case, you'll be able to mount EF lenses onto this EF-M camera, which would lead to the loss of infinity focus and other problems. This is a big flaw on Canon's side, as it has the potential to cause confusion among novice users who don't know of FFDs and lens compatibility.

Unless Canon has, by some evil magic, managed to keep the 44mm flange focal distance. Then all would be well. Probably not, though.

Point being, the lack of an EVF kills it for me.

15. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Actually, you're incorrect: the X Pro 1 and X100 can use the optical viewfinder with essentially arbitrary information overlaid on them and, if you flip a lever, you can switch to a fully electronic viewfinder. The optical viewfinder is then blacked out and all you see is the image directly from the sensor (plus overlays). So yes, the Fujis have both, an optical viewfinder and an EVF, hence the designation »hybrid«. There are plenty of videos and the hybrid viewfinder has been covered extensively in reviews.

16. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

That's a dual viewfinder, still not qualified as a hybrid viewfinder...
    All modern DSLRs have optical viewfinders, with LCD overlays displaying information over the optical view. Fuji takes it further by integrating a full screen into the OVF instead of predesignated grids and displays. This, by definition, still counts as the OVF, but Fuji markets it as a "hybrid" viewfinder. The addition of an actual EVF only makes it a dual viewfinder camera, but it is still not a "hybrid" viewfinder, only a camera with two modes.

17. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

You have incorrectly claimed that the Fujis don't have an EVF, although they do. And Fuji calls it a hybrid viewfinder, in part because the EVF is used to overlay information on the optical viewfinder.
    Really? I don't see anything that'd sway me: it looks like a larger point and shoot (from the user interface perspective) which immediately disqualifies it for my way of shooting. The only advantage I see is a larger sensor than m4/3, but I'd rather own an Olympus OM-D (or better, a Fuji X Pro 1) rather than the Canon EOS M1 (or whatever it will be called).

Fortunately for Canon, though, it includes a proper sensor (unlike Nikon's 1 system), and it can introduce a camera geared towards ambitious amateurs and pros later.

18. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

You have incorrectly claimed that Fujis are designated hybrids because they contain both EVFs and OVFs, when it's simply because it has an advanced LCD overlay.
    And since all DSLRs do that, it's not really a feature to call it a hybrid viewfinder. Or all DSLR viewfinders should be called hybrid viewfinders instead of OVFs. It's emphasizing one term over the other, so it's still nothing more than marketing.

Back to the OP, I wouldn't buy this camera over a P&S, Micro Four-Thirds or NEX. It's too basic for a MILC, too complicated for a P&S, and doesn't belong anywhere...

19. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

From Fuji's website:

"The Hybrid Viewfinder combines the window-type “bright frame” [1] optical viewfinder found in high-end film cameras, such as 35mm or medium-format cameras, and the [2] electronic viewfinder system incorporated in fixed single lens or mirrorless digital cameras."

I guess Fuji is making incorrect claims about their own product. Someone should email them or something.

20. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I haven't seen one of these in a while, so I guess they are wrong. :/
    Unless Fuji's talking about Leicas. But then there's the M9, which also goes against what they're saying.
    One way or another Fuji got it wrong in the description...

21. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

22. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That looks like absolute horror for my long fingers to hold, plus the downside of all mirrorless cameras; the lack of an optical viewfinder. Eh, I'll stick to my dSLR :)

23. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Further to this...

I measured the sensor dimensions in the leaked photos and came up with approx 97x66 pixels for the active sensor area.

This is pretty much 3:2, and hints at an APS-C format sensor, not the 4:3 aspect ratio sensor employed in Canon's G1-X.

Here's DPreview's handy comparison image:

[​IMG]

24. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Sorry I think I mismeasured when I was comparing it to the NEX-7 :p

25. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Exciting.

For me, the future is mirrorless, which is what I'll "upgrade" to (from my t3i) once the market has stabilized (more lens choices, more improvements etc).

I see the future being mirror less, at first, I thought it would be a "meh" but now I'm convinced it is what I'd like to hold on my hands.

So, good to hear Canon is apparently getting ready to take the first step on the mirrorless arena.

And joke aside, well, mirorless cameras are supposed to look small and plastic. :D