Epic Game Store - why the hate?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by maflynn, Apr 12, 2019.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Let me preface this, and say I'm not a hard core gamer. I enjoy many games on my PS4, and I have a handful on my laptop, yet I enjoy watching many youtube videos about existing games, or new games coming out. Some of which I'll be buying.

Now, it seems that many (most?) gamers downright hate the idea of Epic Games. With every news release of Epic getting a timed exclusive, we get calls of boycotts and people going off the deep end it.

I don't love or hate steam, but it seems like the mac vs. pc wars, people are lining up behind steam and hating Epic. For developers, I can see why many are choosing Epic, they're getting better terms, and I think overall the competition is a good thing. Too long Steam was calling the shots and now with more competition the consumer will win out. Yet that's not the reaction of most gamers, its getting down right nasty, and I just don't understand why.

2. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

From a technical prospective, Epic app is a crappy and buggy and slow mess. Even worse than Steam.

On the other hands, the whole thing is just childish whining.

3. KALLT macrumors 601

How? There are Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle, Origin, Mac App Store, Windows Store and probably a bunch more. What does Epic Games bring to the table? For the consumer, nothing. The games are not cheaper, it likely won’t increase the production of games and the Epic Games Launcher is not competing on features or performance either. For the developer, Epic Games brings short-term pay-offs and a long-term perspective of a larger share of the sales price (if the exclusivity bribe pays off that is). The annoyance and worries are justified, despite the melodrama.

There isn’t a launcher I find good, not even GOG Galaxy. They are all way too heavy and poorly optimised. Installing games via drag and drop or installer packages are the way to go for me.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Supposedly the Epic Store spied on your Steam collection.

I was wondering, I had it before the Epic Store and all I downloaded was Unreal Tournament.

When it updated to the Epic Store, it seemed to "feature" all of their games that I would be interested in, and I was.

The only way to tell would be to look at my Steam Library...

5. mixel macrumors 68000

mixel

I think it’s mostly from people who consider their steam library their main and get annoyed when stuff doesn’t use it. With things like Uplay you at least got an entry in steam too usually.

Personally I don’t mind.. I really have no problem with lots of launchers.. But steam does bring a lot more features like communities and decent in game chat, friend lists etc. It’s going to take epic a long time to have all the missing features.

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, that's my thinking, it does seem like people are taking the epic game store front personally and emotionally. I do think that competition is good for both consumer and developer.

7. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

ive only recently started looking at it, I played fortnight about twice so had it for that. then I see get free The Witness so grabbed it and now free transistor.

I have three thoughts, none positive. none of it major or hate but just not positive

1. im not seeing any benefit in the competition between epic and steam. it won't lead to cheaper games, better games or more games, apart from a couple of freebies from epic.

2. it means my games are split across two libraries. id rather just look at everything in steam.

3. and maybe I'm wrong and I hope to be, but as a mainly Mac user, is there any way to easily see what games in the epic store have Mac versions? they've given me 2 free games to entice me in so I can shop, but im struggling to see anything I can consider buying as I only get told its windows only if I click on it and scroll all the way down to the bottom to see requirements or I click on buy and see if it says 'not available for your platform'

8. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

In answer to your thread title. Because there is a hardcore group of vocal obnoxious gamers that like to throw their weight around and take themselves way too seriously. They think of themselves as some sort of divine guardians of gaming as a religion. Gamergate anyone?

Steam is a behemoth and competition will, in the end, be a good thing.

I don’t have a dog in this fight. These days I don’t game on Mac or PC.

9. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I by no means hate the Epic Games store. I have it, UPlay, Occulus, and Steam. However what I see per the Steam thread, on Steam is many early access games , which is ok, but tons of crappy games. Steam is also broadening their market with recently introduced adults games on Steam, which I am fine with, but please good games, not 95% of the crap I am seeing. So the competition maybe good for Steam.

10. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Steam isn't exactly a saint. It's a buggy client, and you'd think after all these years they could nail it down, but there's still issues with voice chat, videos not playing, overlay issues, VR, etc.

All would be forgiven if they released Half-Life 3.

In all seriousness, the amount of game loaders that an average gamer has on their system is getting ridiculous. I think some are looking for some type of unification, but those haven't panned out well historically and stood the test of time from what I've seen.