Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney will appear next week at a conference in South Korea to discuss the fairness of mobile app platforms and ecosystems amid his company's ongoing tension with Apple, according to a press release.

app-store-blue-banner-epic-1.jpg

Sweeney will be joined by other members and representatives of the "Coalition for App Fairness," a group of developers and companies lobbying against Apple's "anti-competitive" App Store rules. The conference, "Global Conference on Mobile App Ecosystem Fairness," kicks off on Monday, November 15, in Seoul, South Korea.

South Korea has been the scene of recent legislation that could change the App Store in fundamental ways. Earlier in August, South Korea passed a bill that prohibits Apple, and other owners of mobile app distribution platforms, from forcing developers to use their own payment method. For the App Store, that would result in Apple no longer requiring developers to use its in-app purchase system.

Apple has said the new change would put users at risk, decrease user trust in purchases made within apps, and make it harder for certain features, such as parental controls, to be implemented.
The Telecommunications Business Act will put users who purchase digital goods from other sources at risk of fraud, undermine their privacy protections, make it difficult to manage their purchases, and features like "Ask to Buy" and Parental Controls will become less effective. We believe user trust in App Store purchases will decrease as a result of this legislation — leading to fewer opportunities for the over 482,000 registered developers in Korea who have earned more than KRW8.55 trillion to date with Apple.
Following the passage of the bill, Epic Games had asked Apple to reinstate Fortnite onto the App Store in South Korea. Fortnite was removed from the App Store in August of 2020 after Epic implemented a direct-payment method for in-app purchases, a clear violation of Apple's App Store rules. The new law in South Korea is yet to go into effect, and even when it does, Apple had said that it has no obligation to reinstate Epic's developer account that was terminated prior to when it became law.

Article Link: Epic Games CEO to Speak in South Korea Next Week Against the App Store Amid Ongoing Tensions With Apple

Last edited:

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
Are they handing out swag bags at this conference?

With these global corporate campaigns turning more political everyday, I’m growing exhausted with this desperation mode deployment. I despise anyone, regardless of how big or small, turning to local governments to get their way after repeatedly not getting their way. I’m in no way indicating that Apple isn‘t guilty of this as well, turning the ear of lobbyists and government interests their way, but Apple is doing this with much a better strategy and tact.

The whine is growing thicker than the cheese.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Well, at this point, there really isn’t anything left for Epic to lose. They have basically burnt all bridges with Apple and Google and I don’t see them ever being allowed back in the App Store, so their only recourse is in Apple being forced to allow third party app stores somehow.

I doubt Epic will get its way, but hey, nothing for them to lose at this juncture really.

metapunk2077fail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2021
Epically greedy losers.
It's basically the fash wing of Silicon Valley desperate to try to make this meta verse meta punk thing become a thing.

It won't become a thing. Everyone knows that what they are pitching is an uncomfortable and anti-social experience that creates more hostility and isolation.

They want it to become a thing because, like the The Matrix, they can turn your whole person into their energy but instead of turning you into a battery they suck all the personal data and money out of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: P-DogNC

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
It's basically the fast wing of Silicon Valley desperate to try to make this meta verse meta punk thing become a thing.

It won't become a thing. Everyone knows that what they are pitching is an uncomfortable and anti-social experience that creates more hostility and isolation.

They want it to become a thing because, like the The Matrix, they can turn your whole person into their energy but instead of turning you into a battery they suck all the personal data and money out of you.
Also, I’m pretty sure if you put me into a VR or even AR headset I’m going to vomit continuously until you let me out again, which wouldn’t be fun for anybody.

One of the many reasons the metaverse holds little appeal to me.

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Right on. People like this "supporting my best interests" I really don't want nor need.
Anyone who thinks any massive, multinational corporation is their buddy or has their best interests at heart is a fool.

I will never understand the blind adoration and unshakable loyalty some people have for their favorite brands, because I assure you all those warm fuzzies only ever run in one direction.

Arbuthnott

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008
Why is it that those making the most fuss about "rights" and "fairness" are all too often the ones least open to recognising any rights or fairness other than that which are to their own direct advantage? And the idea that all the millions of us Apple Ecosystem users should be exposed to a higher level of risk - incidentally a level of risk contrary to the premium we deliberately choose to pay to Apple in order to be protected - simply because of the incessant greed of the already more than wealthy - is bloody unforgivable. I have scrubbed anything to do with EPIC from all my devices and am explaining my concerns to my friends and family. Maybe they will do the same. Someone has to fight back against this greedy crap.

djcerla

macrumors demi-god
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
I will never understand the blind adoration and unshakable loyalty some people have for their favorite brands, because I assure you all those warm fuzzies only ever run in one direction.
Is that one-way adoration inherently bad? Do you think football teams love their fans back? Let tech fanboys love the companies they choose to love.

Arbuthnott

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008
Anyone who thinks any massive, multinational corporation is their buddy or has their best interests at heart is a fool.

Apple's business model corresponds with my preferences. Privacy and security. No warm and fuzzies here, and certainly not the Schadenfreude you appear to be indulging in - I don't care what any of them are thinking about when they deliver the services I choose, which makes it altogether easier for me to appreciate them rather than being moved to judge them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.