Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Epic Games has filed an appeal against the ruling in its case against Apple, further prolonging the already year-long legal battle between the two companies.

app-store-blue-banner-epic-1.jpg

The ruling, announced on Friday, sided with Apple on nine out of the ten counts that Epic Games had presented against the company. Epic, from the start, had alleged that Apple is anti-competitive and that it should open up its devices to third-party app stores, third-party in-app payment methods, and more. The judge said that while the trial showed that Apple "is engaging in anticompetitive conduct under California’s competition laws," Epic Games failed to prove the company is an illegal monopolist or that it violates anti-trust laws.

The judge most notably ordered Apple not to prohibit developers from adding links to external websites for in-app purchases. A week before the ruling was announced, Apple revealed similar changes to App Store policy, but limited to just "reader" apps, such as Spotify, Netflix, and others. The judge's ruling requires that Apple extends that privilege to all App Store apps.

Epic Games' appeal, filed late on Sunday, doesn't provide specifics on what the game developer aims to appeal. Given the outcome of the ruling, however, it's likely it will reattempt to convince a judge that Apple should allow third-party app stores and "sideloading" on its devices, that Apple is a monopolist, and that the termination of its developer account was unlawful and that Fortnite should be reinstated onto the App Store.

While Epic Games has filed its appeal, signaling its dissatisfaction with the ruling, Apple has called it a "resounding victory." Apple has not stated it plans to appeal the verdict, and per the current court order, the company has 90 days before it must allow all apps to link to external websites for in-app purchases.

Article Link: Epic Games Not Satisfied With Ruling in Case Against Apple, Files Appeal

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Epic is not satisfied because their goal is to have alternate app store (their own) on iOS. The 3rd party payment stuff is just an excuse to shoehorn the notion of Apple platform being "anti-competitive."
BIG EGO, like i said...they should make their own OS with their own store, they are allowed and not breaking any law...but they, instead like to cry and do nothing by their own. they want to be their way. When you have big EGO, you will start to lose even more
Frank Sinatra - My Way

RexEchelon

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2021
BIG EGO, like i said...they should make their own OS with their own store, they are allowed and not breaking any law...but they, instead like to cry and do nothing by their own. they want to be their way. When you have big EGO, you will start to lose even more
Frank Sinatra - My Way
Android open source. Epic can go and bake there own OS and make there own App Store by modding Android to there liking.

Last edited:

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Epic needs to let this go and be done with it. Games come and go and the amount of revenue this has cost them as well as what they are spending in litigation is ridiculous in what they could have made in Apple’s app store.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
I said it before, and will say it again: I still think all these App developers that are complaining are getting it wrong. If I have a product to sell, and I want to sell it in a certain store, then they are entitled to make a profit on my products. The mechanism is slightly different, be it that I might sell it to the store, the store slaps on a 30% profit margin and sells it to the consumer. In the App store case, I hand my product to the store, they sell it for the full consumer price, retain 30% and give the rest to me. Same difference. No where in the world can I demand that the store uses a different payment system or that customer inside that store pay me direct, it just doesn't happen and it's total nonsense. if Epic wants to sell their product elsewhere, then they can go ahead and do so, but if they want to sell it through Apple's store, then comply with their rules. Simple.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
whatever epic.. good luck. I want Apple to open up a bit but at the same time I am not in any way interested in third party app stores. Maybe it could be good to have the ability but a majority of users will never go to another store and if some apps for some reason tries to direct users to some other less known store it will either end up selling less or just having to be in two stores, Apples and some other. And then some months or years down the line they say they are dropping the alt store because they only see revenue from Apples app store albeight a little less income per sale.

Its like the same with regular stores in real life. I go to the one I know where everything is and the store is on the other side of the street. Its not the cheapest but its the one I like. Yes, sometimes I go to the other ones because they sell something I need much cheaper. But time is money and running around the city for five different groceries just to save a dollar or two isnt worth it.

If I have to pay 1.99 for some app at Apple and 1.49 in the alt store it just isnt happening for me. Setting up another account, having another app store that isnt familiar or proven “safe and reliable” and then saving 50 cent?

I understand if you pay 19.99 per month for some app like Creative cloud or something and then Adobe gives you the option to pay 12.99 directly.. sure go for it. (Dont acctually know what the going rate is for CC)

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
When (if) Epic eventually win a complete and total victory I slightly suspect they will sue themselves because they didn’t do a good enough job getting the victory fast enough, which has cost them a huge amount of time and money. It isn’t fair that they have spent their time and money to make more money when they could have been spending their time and money to make a bit less money, but still lots of money. It’s terrible and awful behaviour that they don’t recognise how brilliant they are themselves, meaning that others might not recognise it either, and they are bravely fighting this outrageous injustice they have committed against themeselves. I for one hope they succeed in proving they have let themselves down, and claim yet another victory for everyone by proving how great they are, and how awful they are for not proving how great they are more quickly.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
How's the Epic v Google trial going?

If Epic can't build their own app store on iOS... can they build one on Android? It's more open, after all.

And there are about a billion more users on Android!

BTW... did I hear that iOS represented only about 6% of all Fortnite players? So it seems crazy that they're fighting soooo hard for their own iOS app store.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2002
Is the external links order going into effect even with Epic appealing the ruling?

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
BTW... did I hear that iOS represented only about 6% of all Fortnite players? So it seems crazy that they're fighting soooo hard for this.

This isn't all that suprising. Fortnite is a free-to-play game. These kinds of games tend to be popular in asian markets among a demographic not known for having high income so they are most likely Android users and not iPhone users on mobile. And most people in these markets tend to play on PC or console at internet cafes.

There is no denying that Fortnite is extremely popular in the western market as well. But being a first-person shooter people will gravitate towards PC and consoles over mobile in the western market.

iOS only having 6% sounds about right. The question is how much spending on in-game currency is being done on each platform. I'd bet that Epic is seeing the ratio of money spent per player is high on iOS thus they would love to get around the 30% fee that Apple is taking of everything being sold within the game on iOS.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I don't mind Apple getting some pressure here. I certainly don't want iOS to become like Android. But there is no denying that Apple is taking things a little too far when it comes to limiting developers.

I'm all for Apple being forced to allow thrid-party payment systems and whatnot. But this should happen in a logical way. If a developer wants to offer a third-party solution they should be enforced to also supply the native payment solution of the platform. If Netflix wants to offer their own payment system, they should also be required to offer Apple's payment solution. This will give we as consumers the decision on whether we want to go with Apple or the third-party. If the developer is not willing to accept this kind of competitive sitatution they shouldn't be allowed to offer any solution at all.

In Netflix case this would mean that they either continue like they do today without offering any payment solution at all. Or they could start offering their own within the app, but for them to be able to do so they would also have to support Apple's payment solution and there needs to restrictions in place ensuring that Netflix does not artificial overprice the Apple solution in order to steer people into choosing their third-party option.

Same goes for third-party app stores. If that will ever become a thing, there needs to be regulations in place that enforce developers to offer their apps through the Apple App Store as a minimum. Sure, let Epic have Fortnite within their own Epic Game Store, but they should also have to offer the game through the Apple App Store. A world where users suddenly have to get specific apps through specific app stores is horrible. Apple also need to be able to retain some kind of control so they can enforce the use of new APIs and whatnot otherwise iOS suddenly becomes the same kind of legacy mess that is Windows where some developers simply refuses to embrace anything new forcing Microsoft continue to support decades old libraries forever simply because they have no real way of enforcing developers to comply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.