Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reindeer_Legal

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2020
Apple did not lose their lawsuit lol.
If you open your eyes and read you'll see the district court did exactly what Fortnite wanted (they wanted their own in app purchase option so their profit margin can be higher). California Unfair Competition Law prohibits "any unlawful, unfair or fraudulent business act or practice" and whether Apple is a monopoly or not simply does not matter.

• Haha
Reactions: strongy

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If you open your eyes and read you'll see the district court did exactly what Fortnite wanted (they wanted their own in app purchase option so their profit margin can be higher). California Unfair Competition Law prohibits "any unlawful, unfair or fraudulent business act or practice" and whether Apple is a monopoly or not simply does not matter.

It's hard to see how Epic won the case against Apple in any meaningful way that mattered.

Apple was concluded to not be a monopolist. Nothing has changed with regards to alternative payment processing or developer fees, and sideloading is no more available on iOS today (for the US market at least) than it was 2 years ago. I think this sums it up best.

I don’t have a lot of sympathy for Epic or Apple in this case. As I said in May, I find Epic’s legal tactics distasteful. However, I also think Apple’s restraints on communications between developers and app users are an example of overreaching that unduly stifles competition in the name of protecting users.

Still, on balance, I’m pleased with the Court’s decision. You can argue about whether Judge Gonzalez Rogers overstepped the bounds of her authority by imposing a nationwide injunction based on state law. That’s the sort of remedy that I think is more appropriately the purview of federal legislators. However, I’m also glad to see additional pressure brought to bear that I hope will result in meaningful changes to the App Store for all developers, and that doesn’t reward Epic’s questionable legal tactics.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Okay, so you get what I said, but your going to ignore it to make the same point that you've made a hundred times. Even though we have clear, new evidence that the courts disagree.

Yes, the rulings are the rulings, pending potential appeals, but just because Epic won a case (with the decision decided by a jury) against Google and lost a case (with a decision decided by judge) against Apple doesn't necessarily mean the same jury wouldn't have ruled against Apple here too.

However, my point again was that Apple is being more anticompetitive by preventing iOS app developers from even being able to do business with potential Apple (alternative iOS app store) competitors if they wanted to by restricting sideloading or alternative app stores on iOS. Android developers at least potentially still have the option to do so via sideloading or alternative app stores on Android.

One (Apple/iOS) essentially blocks app access competition on a major mobile OS platform. The other (Google/Android) still allows app access competition.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
In summary, it’s not a crime to be a monopoly,

I agree that it's not a crime to be a "monopoly" (alone) and I’ve stated that on here several times.

what more when Apple has been 100% upfront about this and has been consistent with the enforcement of their rules since day 1.

Apple's rules consistency is not necessarily relevant as what has change is the mobile OS marketplace. In the early years, Google/Android and Apple/iOS didn’t have near the dominance they do today. In that regard, the situation has changed.

It’s hard to make a case that Apple’s walled garden is bad especially when in the US, close to 60% of people bought an iPhone knowing fully well the limitations of the platform. Heck, I can argue that for them, maybe the walled garden was specifically viewed as a benefit because it promised them better protection.

Antirust cases typically deal with companies or products that have significant market share. Just because a large portion of a market may choose a particular product does not mean a company isn't being anticompetitive or potentially engaging in anticompetitive behavior. In fact, it's the large market share and related market power, market influence, market control, etc. that can raise concerns from antitrust regulators if/when anticompetitive activities are involved.

This sort of things are rarely ever about absolute right or wrong, but about how different people weigh different trade offs differently. Who are you to say that one person’s right to sideload apps ought to be given more weight than another user’s right to freedom from scams, malware and piracy?

For example, in my country, there was a wave of scams going around where android users were tricked into downloading malware via fake QR codes and Facebook ads. The absence of sideloading on iOS specifically protected iPhone users from this particular scam.

Which is also why I have always found the whole “you don’t have to sideload if you don’t want to” argument extremely disingenuous, because it effectively creates a new problem while putting the onus of managing it squarely on the people who chose an iPhone specifically so they didn’t have to deal with said problem in the first place.

My point has been that Apple is being more anticompetitive by preventing iOS app developers from even being able to do business with potential Apple (alternative iOS app store) competitors if they wanted to by restricting sideloading or alternative app stores on iOS. Android developers at least potentially still have the option to do so via sideloading or alternative app stores on Android.

One (Apple/iOS) essentially blocks app access competition on a major mobile OS platform. The other (Google/Android) still allows app access competition.

• Haha

Reindeer_Legal

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2020

It's hard to see how Epic won the case against Apple in any meaningful way that mattered.

Apple was concluded to not be a monopolist. Nothing has changed with regards to alternative payment processing or developer fees, and sideloading is no more available on iOS today (for the US market at least) than it was 2 years ago. I think this sums it up best.
Nothing has changed only for now. Apple was ordered to allow in app links to third party payment sites and the appeals court affirmed that decision. The appeals court PAUSED the enforcement of its ruling to allow for appeal to the Supreme Court. After Supreme Court either takes up the case or denies review, Apple WILL be ordered to allow in app links to third party payment sites.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
My point has been that Apple is being more anticompetitive by preventing iOS app developers from even being able to do business with potential Apple (alternative iOS app store) competitors if they wanted to by restricting sideloading or alternative app stores on iOS. Android developers at least potentially still have the option to do so via sideloading or alternative app stores on Android.
There’s another thing I forgot to mention about US antitrust law. It looks at harm to consumers, and developers are technically not Apple’s customers. People like you and me are.

And just as there are benefits to being able to sideload (supposedly), there are also benefits to having a walled garden denying users said functionality (improved security from malware and scams). Which is why in my opinion, it’s not so clear cut to assert that more freedom (in the form of sideloading) is automatically good and that a closed ecosystem is naturally bad.

It’s going to vary from user to user, and I still believe that apple’s walled garden is what results in the greatest amount of good for the greatest number of users. You can’t talk about the benefits of sideloading without also acknowledging the possible downsides (I have already provided numerous examples both here and elsewhere), and I won’t allow anyone to just brush it aside with just a token “you don’t have to sideload if you don’t want to” statement.

That’s why I disagree Apple is being anticompetitive if we look at a strict interpretation of said law (I know you have your feelings on this matter, but so do everyone and this discussion could simply just drag on forever).

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Nothing has changed only for now. Apple was ordered to allow in app links to third party payment sites and the appeals court affirmed that decision. The appeals court PAUSED the enforcement of its ruling to allow for appeal to the Supreme Court. After Supreme Court either takes up the case or denies review, Apple WILL be ordered to allow in app links to third party payment sites.

You seem pretty confident of this. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
What a ridiculous comment. Should every manufacturer of products also build their own stores to sell their wares?
If I don't like how Best Buy is placing my product in the corner of the shelf away hidden away from customer foot traffic while they promote Best Buy brands heavily, charging me 30% fees, and not allowing me to charge customer using my payment solution, you're saying I should go file a lawsuit? LOL

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Well you know with a jury they're going to win because the average person doesn't care about the money Google gets from the "monopoly". The average person in the jury would love to be able to side-load apps and potentially save money.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple is next
I realise a lot of people here just like to use words and make up definitions, but surely there should be a limit to how far one's dislike for Apple allows them to hallucinate their own reality.

A vertically-integrated company is not a monopoly. Apple did not disincentivise developers from developing third party app stores for iOS because it's literally not possible. When people buy an iPhone, they are buying into the premise of how Apple has set up the App Store. The next key point is that Apple hasn't changed its policy after a phone has been purchased in order to drive out competition.

This is why Google was found guilty while Apple wasn't. The Google Play Store was accessible by many different brands and Google went behind their backs to alter its core functionality. There are two very different situations legally and I don't understand why people keep trying to conflate the two.

It doesn't matter that there are people who think that Apple has a monopoly on the App Store. It's irrelevant. If the conditions of buying an iPhone with the App Store rules haven't changed, then Apple is not breaking the law because people knew what they were getting into when they bought an iPhone.

Definitions are definitions, and Apple is by definition not a monopoly by any definition which matters. This is very likely why Apple chose to have their case be decided by a judge, precisely because they knew they had a very strong case which absolutely needed someone well-versed with the nuances of anti-trust law to be able to put aside whatever personal feelings they may have on the matter and fully comprehend.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
But fees are fees.

Are you telling me that Epic is happy paying 30% in fees to Sony and Microsoft... while taking Google and Apple to court trying not to pay those very same fees?

The developers can't have it both ways. Either they pay fees to all platforms... or none of the platforms.

:p

Why stop there?

Wallmart as the most dominant supermarket chain should not be able to charge a fee too then. How dare stores make money?

If Apple and Google cannot make money from selling apps, might as well shut it down and have only the most popular apps natively installed (such as YouTube, Twitter / X, FaceBook, Instagram, …).

I don’t see why Google should continue to develop Android for all those smartphone companies if they cannot make money from it.

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Sweeney is just out to prove that his company comes before good judgement and security
Besides look at all the free press and free publicity he has gotten
In the end…….Nothing good shall come from this

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
We're all supposed to agree with what you think is right? lol
“Maybe Epic should try building their own phone platform” is a tired joke of a suggestion. We all know that isn’t feasible, so why even say it?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
“Maybe Epic should try building their own phone platform” is a tired joke of a suggestion. We all know that isn’t feasible, so why even say it?

Why should someone who did not make the huge investment Google has done into Android, be entitled to launch their own Epic Game store (and also charge fees on every app it sells).

It makes no sense what so ever. You think it is fair that Google invests billions into developing and maintaining Android while everybody and their grandma can launch their own "Google Play"?

What's next? Steam also want to launch their app store on Android and make money just like Google Play does without having done the same investments Google has done?

And Epic has the resources to make their own smartphone, they are not a small company. They can partner up with Asus who makes Gaming smartphones to do this.

All this accomplishes is that Google will kill Android like what Google has done to many of it's products when it sees it doesn't bring the profit targets it wants.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Why should someone who did not make the huge investment Google has done into Android, be entitled to launch their own Epic Game store (and also charge fees on every app it sells).
Because that’s what Google promised. That was the whole selling point to smartphone OEMs and consumers, and then Google went about bribing people to not release their own third party app stores.

In theory, there is nothing stopping Epic from making their own android handset with the epic games store and Fortnite preloaded on it. It just probably wouldn’t sell very well.

If Google wasn’t willing to do so, then they should never have made android open in the first place. Keep it closed like iOS and we would be having a completely separate discussion right now.

In contrast, Apple made no such promise, and so Spotify cannot sue them for blocking app stores or sideloading, because there is literally no law that states Apple has to explicitly allow them. That’s why the EU had to create a new piece of legislation specifically to address this concern.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Because that’s what Google promised. That was the whole selling point to smartphone OEMs and consumers, and then Google went about bribing people to not release their own third party app stores.

In theory, there is nothing stopping Epic from making their own android handset with the epic games store and Fortnite preloaded on it. It just probably wouldn’t sell very well.

If Google wasn’t willing to do so, then they should never have made android open in the first place. Keep it closed like iOS and we would be having a completely separate discussion right now.

In contrast, Apple made no such promise, and so Spotify cannot sue them for blocking app stores or sideloading, because there is literally no law that states Apple has to explicitly allow them. That’s why the EU had to create a new piece of legislation specifically to address this concern.

Suppose Walmart sets up a new superstore in New York, and it has to pay for:
- Rent or Purchase of Retail Space
- Technology and Systems
- Insurance
- Utilities
- Security
- Legal Fees

And just becuase Walmart is the dominant player, Costco, Target and so on ... are allowed to setup their own store within Walmart, and Walmart has to pay all the expenses of Costco, Target, ..... That makes no sense at all.

And Steam did the same with the SteamDeck. You don't need a full fledged phone, a handheld gaming device is enough as a mobile gaming device.

Epic simply wants all the benefits that Google has (the Epic Game Store) without any of the costs Google has. And let's be honest, Epic can out compete Google Play super easy as Epic doesn't have the same costs that Google has to develop and maintain Android.

Last edited:

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Epic literally lost 9 out of 10 of their claims. How exactly did Epic win?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
So you agree that you are wrong.
I’m not wrong. What good is software if it does nothing? You can install an emulator and put no ROMs on there. But that’s not what people are posting when they say “now I can install emulators”. They put ROMs on there which is the illegal part. An emulator that does nothing is useless. That’s not part of the arguments and discussions.

This whole “gotcha” attitude in conversations these days is just ridiculous. Take the context and subject matter of discussions in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.