Epic queue for the iPhone 6 in Sydney

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcosscriven, Sep 18, 2014.

1. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Crazy! Most of those people won't even get a phone!

2. marcosscriven thread starter macrumors regular

About halfway down York Street I heard an Apple rep counting, she'd got to 500 at that point!

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

4. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Holy hell. I assumed you were exaggerating...

----------

And what's keeping people from cutting in line at that crosswalk? (Other than a potential beat down)

5. xLoGiK1 macrumors member

that is absolutely insane lol. A good percentage of those people are going to be pissed

6. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

surely they'd know how far they are away from the store. not sure if I would have even bothered once it went one block away.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I heard that too

8. marcosscriven thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, no way I'd queue that far. The thing is as well, once it's a little away from the store it goes from a single file into many.

9. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...........

That's just.... :confused::eek::rolleyes:

:apple:

10. chanc macrumors member

chanc

11. marcosscriven thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it's rather jerky - in fact YouTube had a 'This video is jerky' warning, and a preview of it stabilised, but while it was smoother, it was zoomed in far too much.

Hyperlapse would be good, but compressing the time I wonder if you'd truly appreciate the immensity of the queue!

12. Spiffyis5150 macrumors member

That has to be one of the longest queues that I've seen. I can't believe the people at the end even think they have a chance.

13. cforster macrumors 6502

14. thaifood macrumors 6502

Early consensus for the Aussie stores on the east coast are that 6+ allocations are exhausted after the first couple hundred people in line. Staff were walking up the lines asking for phone preferences. Some smaller stores (non-Apple) have less than a couple dozen 6+, or none at all in the case of Myer.

Reservations tend to be processed through a second line that is moving rather well. Obviously, with phones being reserved, people are getting what they want through this method.

Seems like reservations or delivery to home/office address is the way to go nowadays with this kind of popularity.

----------

Sydney CBD has a very large Asian residential population. Particularly at World Square/George St/Central/Ultimo area.

15. wp-admin macrumors newbie

:eek: Holy mother of queues Batman. I suppose they don't tell people there's no chance because things may get uncivil when people find out they're out of luck.

16. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Let's not make this into a racial debate, but the fact is that the world's biggest market for iPhones (China) won't officially have iPhones for sale until who-knows-when. So it's quite natural to me that you'll see a large number of people with some sort of connection to China who are taking advantage of what should be astronomical secondary market prices. Not a surprise at all. The same exact scene is repeating itself in dozens of cities across the world right now.

17. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

I would say that most of the sales of iPhones to that group would be for the grey market.

I know lots of people who bought the iPhone 6, but we all did the pre-order for delivery or store pickup.

Many probably pre-ordered for store pickup, but are lining up anyway to beat the 2 iPhone limit.

It's good money if you are prepared to do it with iPhones selling for double their retail cost in Asia. In effect you could line up, buy 2 iPhones, sell one for double the price making your iPhone free.

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I wouldn't queue like that even if I was guaranteed to get what I wanted at the end of it. The fact that 7/8ths of these people will get there to find only the 5C for sale just boggles the mind. Total lunatics.

19. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

They would not be queuing to buy for themselves, but to re-sell them. Buy 2 iPhones, sell for double the retail price. A profit of $2000 for waiting in line for 6 hours.

That's $333 per hour. That's a pretty good hourly rate.

20. leenak macrumors 68020

Wow... why is there a cross walk in the middle of the line? And why are there more people with chairs in the middle of the line than the front of the line?

21. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Yeah but the store's stock levels?

22. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

OOoouuuuu oo WEeeeeee ... I thought they were lining up to get their phone from the manufacturing factory because that's the ONLY place that will outfit all of them!!

And they're outside in the cold.. smh

23. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

The ultimate buyers may not be Australian, but the people lined up for them sure as hell are!