Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Epic's Unreal Engine 3 Ported to iPod Touch and iPhone 3GS

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Anandtech spent some time with Epic Games' Mark Rein last week and was shown a demo of the Unreal Engine 3 running on a 3rd Generation iPod Touch. The demo included a flythrough as well as a playable level from Unreal Tournament.
It's using a modified Unreal Tournament level previously shown off at GDC. A virtual thumbstick on the left side of the screen controls your movement, while tracking your thumb in the lower right corner of the screen controls the camera. Just tap the screen to shoot. Mark said this is a tech test bed and they’re experimenting with several different control schemes including ones with tilt.
The Unreal Engine 3 is a modern 3D gaming engine which powers games such as Bioshock, Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3.

Article Link: Epic's Unreal Engine 3 Ported to iPod Touch and iPhone 3GS

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple or some other player big enough to be able to set a standard SDK needs to come out with a control pad case for this thing.

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
That is really impressive!

The game engine requires OpenGL 2.0 so this will restrict the game to 3rd generation iPod Touches and iPhone 3GSs only. Epic is planning on making the engine available to licensees at some point, opening the door eventually to Unreal-powered iPhone games.

I doubt the older iPhones/iPod Touches would have the processing power to run it even if they had OpenGL 2.0

Comment

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
It's amazing how far technology has come. It wasn't too long ago that PC's had trouble being that smooth with that much detail on those games.

Comment

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
I have unreal tournament for OS9, and would love to fire it up again. I don't have a machine that's running OS9, does anyone know of a workaround to get that installed and playable?

Comment

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
cool... neertheless.... the controls look like something you must get used too :rolleyes:

Comment

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Apple or some other player big enough to be able to set a standard SDK needs to come out with a control pad case for this thing.

I really like the drag-to-turn style of controls on these touch based games (see Terminator Salvation). I think it trumps a second, right thumb control "stick" or "pad" (see Duke Nukem). For the platform, I feel that it works extremely well.

That being said, a physical control pad would be cool. The problem would be usability WITHOUT the physical controller. Is anyone willing to put out an iPhone/iPod touch game that requires you to buy a physical attachment?

Comment

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
That being said, a physical control pad would be cool. The problem would be usability WITHOUT the physical controller. Is anyone willing to put out an iPhone/iPod touch game that requires you to buy a physical attachment?

not me at least :p

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
not me at least :p

It would be easy enough to add virtual joysticks to games (they all have them now anyway), but having an official apple control pad with built-in battery backup would be nice for when you know you're going to be doing some gaming. If Apple sold it, enough developers would get behind it to make the price worth paying.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
And it’s not just about iPhone support. Mark told me that as soon as CES we’ll see Unreal Engine 3 on another mobile platform entirely. More announcements will happen throughout 2010. This isn’t a platform specific thing, it’s about bringing Unreal Engine 3 to the entire portable market.

I wonder where else this engine is headed? :confused:

It's awesome what they've done with the iPhone too.

Comment

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Amazing that once the cash is flowing all the devs turn to the iPhone platform - even those that have been ******** on the Mac platform throughout ALL these years. :rolleyes:

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Amazing that once the cash is flowing all the devs turn to the iPhone platform - even those that have been ******** on the Mac platform throughout ALL these years. :rolleyes:

To be fair, Apple is rumored to have made life difficult for game developers on mac for a very long time. (For example, Carmack has said quite a bit about this).

Comment

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009

Imagine that...a company wanting to make money....

To be fair, Apple is rumored to have made life difficult for game developers on mac for a very long time. (For example, Carmack has said quite a bit about this).

They are still difficult as per a bunch of iPhone developers....its just that with so many Touchs and iPhones out there, hard to ignore it.

Comment

sp00

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
For certain games, you need a joystick and a clear view to play. This is why a real joystick and buttons for the iphone and ipod touch is important. I really hope Apple creates a usable addon.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.