Erase All Content and Settings - 6 hours?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mystikal, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

So today at 1130 PST I clicked erase all content and settings on my old 3G to sell it. The phone is still showing an apple logo / rebooting after 6 hours. My iPod touch 1st Gen only took 3 hours. Is there anything I can do? I DO NOT have a working power button so DFU isn't an option.

Any ideas?

2. draz macrumors 6502a

Yes it does take along time.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2110

Depending on the size and type of device it takes hours. But with the 3GS, 4, iPad, and iPod Touch 3rd Gen it takes minutes because they have Hardware Encryption and that erase process is very quick.

3. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I know it takes a while but 6 hours? They should say anywhere from 2-x on the device. What if I wanted to sell it today?

4. draz macrumors 6502a

If the bar hasn't gotten anywhere you can probably just turn it off, restart it, connect to itunes, it might have to do a restore, but once its up and running do the erase all content and settings option again.
    If possible delete as much as you can such as Music, Photos, Videos, etc...

5. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Only way I can turn it off is by draining the battery. My power button doesn't work =\

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I deleted everything I could off my 3G beforehand ... took 2+ hours.

7. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I should have done that. Damn. Should have restored first. Probably would have made things go faster.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Ouch. FYI, restore takes 15 minutes in iTunes.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm doing the same on my 3GS, and it's been going for about 30 minutes. Apple Logo is still up, and the progress circle seems frozen at times and then every once in a while it continues for a few seconds, then stops again.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Way faster and accomplishing the same.

11. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Nearly FOURTEEN HOURS LATER and the Apple logo still shines bright. Phone not showing up in iTunes.

What can I possibly do without a power button to get this thing to turn on?

EDIT: Kind of took the phone apart. Got to the power button (under the actual button) and held it down for 20 secs + home button. No results...

EDIT2: Could I make a genius bar appointment and have them DFU it or do something magical even if the phone is out of warranty?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing you or they can do without a functioning power button.
    See if you get lucky and they replace it for your for free.
    If not either pay the out of warranty fee or bring it somewhere to replace the power button.

13. John T macrumors 68020

John T

So, if and when you have eventually erased the data, who is going to buy a 'phone that doesn't work properly? :confused:

14. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Its not my phone. Im just trying to unlock it for someone else, so thats going to be up to them =\

EDIT2: Phone was off, plugged it in, turned on to Apple logo and is stuck. Looks like the phone is broken. Awesome...

EDIT3: Im very confused here. My phone keeps flashing off, and then on, like its in a reboot loop. That must not be good. Right?

15. John T macrumors 68020

John T

That's strange! In your first post you said: "So today at 1130 PST I clicked erase all content and settings on my old 3G to sell it."

Really? :confused:

16. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

NEVER USE THE ERASE ALL SETTING BUTTON!!!!!! this option should not be on this phone. it can take as much as 24 hours for this to complete. you should always restore it through iTunes. this has been said on many threads....

17. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I'm unlocking it so she can sell. I've lost all hope for the phone. It's dead :(

Im going on the 30th hour almost and my phone is off now. Are you saying I should plug it in for the rest of the night and see what happens?

18. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

when you plug it in right now will iTunes see it? if so does the restore button show up? if so restore it!

if not, you may need to get the power button fixed so you can restore it in DFU mode. this will correct your problem.

your phone is not dead it is just in critical condition!! just needs to be put on life support.......

19. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

The low battery icon shows but iTunes doesnt recognize it on multiple computers. Guess i have to get the button fixed.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's probably the only option.

21. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I've seen in other threads that the erase all contents and settings is never recommended because it erases everything including the os. You have to start completely over and it messes up the ability to unlock, if needed.

22. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

now Im really confused....it says in your signature to contact you if someone needs iPhone help...do you fix iPhones? if so you should be able to fix this phone easily. it is a very simple fix.

23. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Actually, ALWAYS use this option. It ensures that no personal data can be recovered on the device. On 3G models, the phone has to write over the entire disk, if it's a 16GB, could take a while. It's faster on 3GS models because the encryption key is overwritten and data is no longer recoverable. A recovery only wipes the OS partition and not the data partition, leaving then device open for potential recovery of deleted files, SMS messages, emails, photos, etc.

OP: Sorry yours is taking so long, but it should only take about 2-3hrs to complete.

Yes, that's the point. :) If you sell it, use Erase All Content and Settings for reasons above. However if you are keeping the device, a simple restore should do.

24. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Yeah. Ill just see what happens in the next few hours...

No not hardware lol, just basic iPhone problems to avoid mess on the forums.

25. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I understand your reasoning but you are the only person who has ever said to use this option to me. 99% of the people out there are not keeping sensitive info on their iphone just in case they lose it so I dont really believe this would ever be an issue. unless you work for apple and lose your new iphone in a bar.........