Erosion of MBP case and offset lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Puqq, May 12, 2012.

1. Puqq macrumors regular

One of palm rests of my 2 year old MBP is highly eroded (7cm damaged edge, sometimes up to 1.5mm width new surface revealed, some .5mm deep erosion) due to sweat (?). The same surface appears to be more exposed by an offset top lid (lid is offset by up to 1 mm or so).

My MBP is still covered by Apple Care. Do you think it's feasible to get a case repair / replacement? Had I known this potential risk, I would have bought a protective case and avoided the problem.

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm not aware of this being a frequent problem. You shouldn't have to cover it, that's a fact. It should be durable enough to use right out of the box. Of the seven or eight MBP's I've had, none have displayed this issue.

The first thing that comes to mind is that you may simply have received one with a problem finish. I'd contact Apple, they've been exceptional when the circumstances allow. Let them inspect it and reach a decision.

3. plagr macrumors newbie

I am an AASP

That doesn't sound normal. I have seen lots of first gen unibodies and haven't noticed this.

4. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

Sounds to me either you received a defective case or have radioactive sweat :p take it to the apple store, warranty or not they are great and will back up their products.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pitting of the MBP palm rests and especially the 90 degree edge on the unibodies is a common problem. You can try to get it replaced under Applecare, but don't expect it to happen. It's just the paint being loosened and subsequently chipped away.

6. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

You're right, because the aluminium used in the MBPs is anodised, sweat can 'erode' it away.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The term you're looking for is "corrode"; erosion implies somehow it's been shaped by wind and water.

That said, it is entirely possible for the salt (among other ingredients) of your sweat can cause chemical reactions with the aluminium on the computer.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

What paint?!? It's just a block of aluminum.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, it's not. It has a powder coat on it.

10. lamboman macrumors 6502

It's powdercoated, as Miles said above. Just reiterating the point.

11. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The MBP is not painted. It's anodized aluminum, which is different than painting or powder coating. It doesn't add a layer of anything to the aluminum; it creates a thicker layer of oxidized aluminum at the surface, which creates a more durable finish.
    http://www.aacoa.com/anodizing/process.htm

Powder coating applies a dry paint to the surface which is then heated, causing the particles to melt and form a film over the surface. They may have some similarities, but they're quite different processes.

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

13. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

Why are you quoting me?

14. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Haha, probably hit 'quote' on the wrong post.

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Wasn't aware of that. I thought it was aluminum with a rough finish.