Erratic usage behavior

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lg251, Jul 29, 2015.

1. lg251 macrumors 6502

All morning I had this feeling where I thought wait a minute, really I lost that much battery life already?

To be clear I've had the watch for about 6 weeks now and never had any issue with the battery life. I usually put it on at 6am and take it off at around 10-11pm when going to bed and I'm at 30-40% (sometimes more). That includes a 1 hour training session.

As of right now I'm at 45% (put the watch on at 6am) and look at that usage...I rebooted the watch to see if it would help but nothing so far.

Before anyone asks, no new apps or updates that I can think of...

Attached Files:

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Make sure you charge tonight and see how it goes tomorrow. Could be a fluke. Now that you have rebooted, hopefully that will take care of it.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yep, multiple people have reported sudden AW battery draining and a reboot seems to fix the problem. Let us know how you make out.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yep, rebooting seems to fix most of the bugs that they've yet to squash.

5. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update (see picture) I'm currently at 20%. It seems to have done the job. Probably something kept running for no reason...it scared the bejesus out of me!!

Will see tomorrow after a full charge how it goes.

Attached Files:

6. brandnew2 macrumors member

Chiming in to say that I also experienced the sudden drainage issue yesterday for the first time. Had the watch almost 3 months, never any battery life problems, always end the day around 40% after wearing the watch 7 AM to 11 PM. Then yesterday I was sitting at work at 4 PM when the watch buzzed with a strange haptic pattern I've never felt before...check the watch and it says 10% remaining. I'd never seen the alert before and thought it might even have been some sort of bug/misreading. Another 30 minutes and the watch died completely. Barely used the watch that day up to that point, it was bizarre.

Got home and rebooted the watch last night - I was basically forced to, since it died completely and it takes a while after putting on the charger to even turn on again. Wore it all day today and the battery drained normally, which was a relief.

7. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

3rd this time I had this happen...This morning I lost 5% in about 10-15 minutes. Rebooted the watch and the phone right away, but no luck. I have 1h20 minutes of standby and 1h05 minutes of usage...Just unpaired the watch, and will re-pair it hoping to fix this.

The only application I see that could be doing this is "Runeblade", but this morning I never even opened it. Could it have stayed "on" all night while on the charger and kept going on since I put it on this morning?

Ever since it first happened I've been paranoid and when using that application (or another 3rd party one), upon closing it, I open another app (i.e. Photos, activity) as I would think Apple Apps would most likely not face the issue of "being stuck running in the background" after closing them.

I was really hoping that I could somehow remove the battery status on my watch face as even when I use the watch a lot during the day, I never go to bed with less than 30-50%. With these process being stuck in the background, I have no choice but to be paranoid and look at the battery level regularly to make sure nothing is killing my battery...

Apple please force kill the process when closing an app...or whatever feels legit so users do not have to worry about this!!

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So the problem is you have TOO much battery life????

Also how are you 'forced' to see the battery status? If it's in a Complication just remove it.

9. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I wasn't clear:

What I meant is that the AppleWatch battery life does indeed have more than enough for me to go on for more than a day without thinking about it HOWEVER, with these random "process" getting stuck and sucking the life out of my battery, I must keep the battery percentage on my watch face. I need to verify every now and then to make sure, nothing is running in the background non stop.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Is your :apple:Watch dying during the middle of the day?

11. friedmud macrumors 65816

Whoah!

I read this thread earlier today... and thought to myself: "Glad I don't have any of these battery usage issues"... and then just a minute ago I felt some odd haptic feedback and looked at my watch and it said I only have 10% battery left!

I've only had my Watch on for about 5 hours so far today! That's insane! Usually I have about 40% battery left after 12-14 hours of wear!

Yikes - I just looked at it again and in the time I've been typing this message it's already down to 6%. WTH.

I'm going to reboot it and put it on its charger.

Is it possible it's just happenstance that this is happening to many of us all of a sudden... or is it more likely that an App update came through that's killing all of our Watches?

12. friedmud macrumors 65816

HAHA!

False alarm!

I went to put my Watch on the charger... and it didn't "ding" like it normally does....

Then I remembered that I _unplugged_ my Watch charger yesterday!

So... the reason my Watch was out of battery is because it didn't get charged last night. Which means I still get awesome battery because I used it for a LONG day in the city yesterday (went to a Red Sox game all afternoon where I used it a bunch too).

So... nevermind. I still don't have this issue ;-)

13. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

So as I mentioned above, I unpaired the watch and then paired it back with my phone. It seems to have done the job, it stopped the bleeding. I noticed the iPhone battery was also dropping a lot faster than usual (iPhone 6 Plus). I decided to remove "Runeblade" as well. and now hoping these spontaneous Watch battery drainage don't happen again...

14. Julien, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

How many times has it died on you during the day (less than 14 hours usage from a full charge)?

15. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was the third time it happened. The watch never died on me as I noticed before it did. But I started loosing 20-30% battery per hour (without even using it). It really seems like a process gets stuck in the background, as it's been ok every other day I've had the watch.