error 1013 when updating iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mikelegacy, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I already got this fixed first off. I just found my host file and deleted the gs.apple.com line, but my question to you is, WHY DOES IT HAPPEN?

It's happened on three separate occasions now. I've updated iTunes, my computer, restarted. I've done everything and it's annoying that I've had to go to those lengths to fix it.

Anyone know what causes this issue? All I could find were ways to fix it, but noone really explained the cause.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It happens because the baseband update fails. Just download TinyUmbrella and use it to exit recovery mode.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Error 1013 is baseband related. What baseband do you have?

4. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I have the normal iPhone 4 baseband. It hasn't been updated to the iPad baseband or anything.

As for the actual baseband number, I don't have my USB cord to check it out in my system profiler.

5. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

So if this happens and you can't fix it yourself, what is Apple going to do when you being it into the Apple Store?

6. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I just changed my "hosts" file. That works too, and that way I can still update and restore from backup, but it's just annoying that I have to go through all of this.

I just don't get why, when I have never jailbroken, and never PWNED my phone to the iPad baseband, this is happening to me. I recently went through like a 24 hour period that I could only send calls and texts, but I couldn't receive them. Maybe it's a hardware issue....IDK.

7. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

If you're jailbroken, they probably won't do anything for you. If you're not, then they will probably fix it, and/or give you a new phone if it's a hardware issue. That being said, it's VERY easy to fix it yourself. Just follow this simple tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktqU9Um-vp4

8. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

Cool. I'm gonna keep that handy! :D

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone 4 cannot use the iPad's baseband. By modifying your hosts file you prevented the baseband from updating. There is no need to ever jailbreak your iPhone 4 to do this. As to check the baseband you don't need a dock cable. Just check under Settings>General>About>Modem Firmware

10. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I am on 4.10.01, anything special about that baseband?

11. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

So... what if I've never jailbroken (aka my hosts file doesnt have a gs.apple.com)?????

I've tried to restore my iPhone on 3 different machines now and I get the 1013 error each time...

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

12. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

No actually this is a known issue. For some reason when restoring, it doesnt upgrade the baseband so it gives you the error. Deleting gs.apple.com in the hosts file is a fix. but why it does this is still not known. You can also leave it alone and download tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode after it restores and gives you the error. you dont need to be jailbroken to use it.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The error is caused because the iPhone 4's baseband also has SHSH signing and Cydia doesn't support it because every sign is unique to a restore. Thus, when iTunes can get the properly signed baseband it'll update it and boot the iPhone normally. Otherwise, it'll be in Recovery mode until it gets a properly signed baseband. Other than iTunes not being able to update the baseband, nothing is wrong with the firmware.

14. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

But this guy isn't jailbroken so Cydia should have anything to do with him. It's a known issue at apple that sometimes the baseband wont update and so it will give the error. Yes the firmware is fine, the problem is that the baseband wouldn't update for some reason.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You don't need to have Cydia or have ever been jailbroken. The redirect in the hosts file goes to Cydia. There are no cases where the baseband failed to update on an iPhone 4, if the person has never ran TinyUmbrella or redirect iTunes via the hosts file. As you can see in the first post, the OP did have Cydia as part of the equation because he removed the offending gs.apple.com line that redirected iTunes to Cydia.

16. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I have never Jailbroken, used tinyumbrella or anything yet I am getting this 1013 error.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Check your hosts file, you'll most likely have a gs.apple.com listing. If your getting this error on a 3G or a 3Gs then the problem is the iPad baseband.

18. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Nope, nothing in the hosts file. This is an iPhone 4.

[​IMG]

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Remember condoms are only 99.9% effective.

20. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Actually unless he ran tiny umbrella, or manually added it, it shouldn't have done that. If they're is 74.208.10.249 in front of the gs.apple.com then it it's going to saurik. On my non jailbroken iPhone 4, I had this same issue and had to remove the gs.apple.com before it worked. I have not used tiny umbrella on my computer, or added it.