Error: Mac OSX will not install on this computer!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by balloun, Feb 26, 2010.

1. balloun macrumors newbie

balloun

This is a tale of two iMac's and two unused leopard install disks and a retail upgrade version of Snow. One for me (iMac) and one for the kids. The HD on mine became corrupted and subsequently unrepairable in using disk utility. I had to erase. Now after many hours of trying to get an OS on the hard drive, I am writing to a forum for the first time in my life. On the Imac gone bad, I have a successful partition with Windows 7 running just fine. I first read the little white book that advised me to use the DVD install disks that came with my computer. I pulled the set out of the white carton and got after it. That was about 10 hours ago. I tried several times to get the install dvd to start working. Each time I received the subject error. So, even though my Snow was an "upgrade" I realized that it would probably work and then I thought maybe it was required because I was running Snow before the crash. I got partially through an OSX install several times (once within 10 minutes remaining allegedly (after waiting for almost 3/4 hour for the 10 minutes go by). Each epic fail required me to erase the HD each time and do the repair and verify function until I received the All is OK message. After trying to reinstall the OSX from Snow several times, I went to the internet. Spotted something on a different forum (mini dell or something) wherein a guy said the only dvd that might work is the actual one that came with the computer but most everyone locates a dvd (with a retail iso) or purchases a retail OS dvd in order to reinstall a OS to a crashed hard drive! What? What? Are you kidding me, to think that the dvd that came with my computer would not install the OS again was to much non-apple. It did start me thinking....I wonder if this computer knows which one of the two original OSX Dvds is the correct one and is it possible that could be the reason my attempt to reinstall Leopard a dozen times failed? Say it ain't so Joe! As I type this, I'm staring at my screen (I'm using the kid's Mac) and it says 97% percent complete in checking the DV consistency (?) on the first attempt using the 'other" dvd (must have been the one that came with it). Both DVD's of course are identical in appearance but looks are deceiving. Up to 99% complete, saying a prayer now... YES, it is now moving into the actual installation phase of the installation process. What a nightmare. My question is, should I now attempt to upgrade the OSX again with my Snow retail dvd OS software? What if it fails? It should work now that the original OSX is going to be on the HD, right?? Obviously, I am hoping a real expert answers this..

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would suspect you have a problem with the HD itself. Both discs should be able to install with no issues.

3. larkost macrumors 6502a

If your problem was that the Discs were created for a specific model of computer (like the ones that come with a computer), then it would tell you long before you were allowed to even start installing. As flopticalcube said: there is something else going on here, my guess would be that your HD is failing. Backup everything and prepare for the worst.

4. balloun thread starter macrumors newbie

balloun

Wow, that was quick. Of course, I do not know. However, the actual installation from the second (correct ?) original OSX DVD is about half way... 41 minutes remaining... What do you think about the Snow upgrade DVD, should I try it if this OSX install is clean?

5. balloun thread starter macrumors newbie

balloun

Well yes indeed that does make sense. Wrong DVD--then say so. Are the Time Capsule systems as good as what Apple says?

6. balloun thread starter macrumors newbie

balloun

I noticed your signature type notes in your reply... I clicked on the reset your SMC and learned something else. Thanks. By the way, take a look at my screen shot and give me an opinion if you have one. Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Resetting the SMC is not a cure-all. Sometimes just rebooting helps. My guess is that they are just trying to go in a logical progression.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Are the two iMacs identical? If not that could be the problem. If it was me, I'd install Snow.

9. balloun thread starter macrumors newbie

balloun

Thank you for the reply. No, they are not the same. I have since determined the obvious that because they are different the install disks are different. I do have an interesting update that I am going to post in a few minutes. Quite the challenge. I have the retail Snow upgrade -- are you suggesting that it should work for a clean install?

10. balloun thread starter macrumors newbie

balloun

Update: After many failed attempt of installing from the 10.5 leopard disc that came with the unit (each time in between attempts, I erase the drive and checked it. Ran the repair utility each time and got the all is good message that the drive was ok??) I decided to try a different approach. I repartitioned the drive 50/50 and reinstalled Windows 7 with success. I can only boot into windows but it seems to be working. Thinking that it might still be a software issue, I am in the process of obtaining a new ISO version of Leopard.

Due to the fact that I was laid off from work quite sometime ago, I have not funds available to simply take the unit to an Apple repair facility. Hence the various attempts. Do any of you believe that it would be worthwhile to spend the money to call Apple support?

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Yep, here's how:

About.com: Macs: How to Perform a Clean Install of Snow Leopard OS X 10.6

12. balloun thread starter macrumors newbie

balloun

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If your hard drive became corrupted, then it is reasonably likely that there is a problem with the hard drive itself, and you will never be able to install MacOS X on it and use it for any length of time without problems.

There are reasons why you won't be able to install from some installer DVDs onto some Macs, but the installer would tell you about that very very soon; once it starts installing it should finish unless there is something wrong with the computer itself. The way you describe it, where you almost manage to finish the installation, that would point to a defective hard drive.

I'd recommend to buy or borrow an external USB drive (you should have one anyway for backing up the Mac) and trying to install on the external drive. If that works, then (a) you have a computer again that can be used, and (b) you know that the internal drive is no good. It's then up to you whether you want to use the iMac with an external disk or whether you want to swap that disk against the internal one, which is not impossible, but slightly challenging.