Error When transferring SOME files from mac to PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JT3Jon, Aug 22, 2012.

1. JT3Jon, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

JT3Jon macrumors member

I'm going through a very weird and frustrating problem. I'm transferring data from my Mac to my PC's 2nd internal drive, and I'll occasionally get the following error: "The operation cannot be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)" Edit: now I'm getting error code -41 & -36.

Most of my data is transferring fine, but some folders simply will not transfer! I've gone through my permissions and made sure they are set to "everybody read/write," and still will get this error!

Any ideas whats going on or how to fix it?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Where is the error being displayed? Also, how are you transferring said files?

3. JT3Jon thread starter macrumors member

I'm transferring via ethernet from the mac to the PC.

The error code seems to change depending the the folder, but some say ""The operation cannot be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)" Sometimes I get error code -36 & -41. Sometimes I get the error "file cannot be read or written."

Whats also odd is I just tried the same folder multiple times, and on the 3rd time now it appears to be transferring! Any advice? In the mean time I guess I'll just keep trying over and over until the files transfer!

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This may sound like a stupid question, but I just want to clarify, is this via direct Ethernet connection?

5. JT3Jon thread starter macrumors member

Its through a netgear gigabit ethernet switch.

Whats weird is everything I've tried in the past 10min is now transferring fine. Very strange!! Hopefully this streak continues, but I would like to get to the bottom of this problem if possible...

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Where you transferring everything at once or folder by folder?

7. JT3Jon thread starter macrumors member

8. JT3Jon thread starter macrumors member

well, its back. a folder consistently will not transfer because of "unexpected error -41" :(

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How big is the folder you were copying?

10. JT3Jon thread starter macrumors member

It can be as small as 100kb but I try to transfer large folder from 3gb to 30gb. Im transferring sample libraries, which are made up of hundreds of thousands of small audio files each being around 1mb each.

once I run into a problem on the folder level, I'm going deeper and transferring individual files (which SUCKS). But maybe I have a bad file or something causing the whole not to transfer?

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This seems like a switch problem. Have you tried another one?

12. chown33 macrumors 604

1. Right-click, then archive the folder. (Or is it called "Compress"?)
    2. Copy the archived zip-file over.
    3. Unzip on PC.

If #1 fails, there's a problem with a Mac file. It might be busy, permissions, corrupted, whatever.

If #2 fails, there's a problem with something else. It might be the network, a cable, the target PC, whatever.

If #3 fails, there might be a problem with some weird characters in filenames, or any of a bunch of other possibilities. The filenames issue has hit me before, but it's not the only possible error.

13. JT3Jon thread starter macrumors member

Thats a great idea to try .zip files!! I'll try that, thank you.

As for the network, I tried connecting directly and I still get the errors.

Thank you both very much for your help in troubleshooting this issue!! Its really much appreciated!!