Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
Trying to figure this out:

Personal iPhone X on AT&T: main phone on my 5-member family plan. iPhone X was paid up front/in full, so it's unlocked.

New job iPhone XS on AT&T: LOCKED. Believe my employer did an AT&T Next plan.

Right now, carrying 2 iPhones. X, XS. In a perfect world: I'd like to use the XS full-time/as my only phone, and keep my personal X for traveling overseas (as it's already unlocked). My employer doesn't care what I do with the locked/work phone; it didn't make sense to transfer my family/family plan over to this new business phone.

If I understand right, what I need to do is go to a corporate AT&T store; ask for an eSIM, assign it to my personal iPhone X phone number, and somehow incorporate that with my work's XS?

I'll want to use my iPhone X/personal number for iMessage/FaceTime, but use my work XS for data (unlimited business plan!) and forward the existing XS phone number to the eSIM (?) that's my personal phone number. Can forwarding still work like that?

I'll wait until the official 12.1 software drops…I just want to be prepared to ask for/say the right things at the corporate store.

Is this right? Am I missing anything?

Reactions: Soledreamz

Bobhill

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
Trying to figure this out:

Personal iPhone X on AT&T: main phone on my 5-member family plan. iPhone X was paid up front/in full, so it's unlocked.

New job iPhone XS on AT&T: LOCKED. Believe my employer did an AT&T Next plan.

Right now, carrying 2 iPhones. X, XS. In a perfect world: I'd like to use the XS full-time/as my only phone, and keep my personal X for traveling overseas (as it's already unlocked). My employer doesn't care what I do with the locked/work phone; it didn't make sense to transfer my family/family plan over to this new business phone.

If I understand right, what I need to do is go to a corporate AT&T store; ask for an eSIM, assign it to my personal iPhone X phone number, and somehow incorporate that with my work's XS?

I'll want to use my iPhone X/personal number for iMessage/FaceTime, but use my work XS for data (unlimited business plan!) and forward the existing XS phone number to the eSIM (?) that's my personal phone number. Can forwarding still work like that?

I'll wait until the official 12.1 software drops…I just want to be prepared to ask for/say the right things at the corporate store.

Is this right? Am I missing anything?
Why would you need to forward the phone? You can use your business data and still receive calls on both lines?...

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
Why would you need to forward the phone? You can use your business data and still receive calls on both lines?...

I guess I wouldn't. I do want work people to be able to contact me on my work phone number, not my personal X/eSIM number. And by contact me I mean texts and calls. That's the part I don't know if it's possible or not.

I don't care if texts sent to my work phone number aren't iMessage (I want to use my personal number/from my X for iMessage) and they won't either. That's where the forwarding thought came in.

Reactions: Soledreamz

KamiQuazi

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
When wiping the device, it now gives you the option of a complete wipe with cellular information intact or wipe all.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
When wiping the device, it now gives you the option of a complete wipe with cellular information intact or wipe all.

That’s interesting. I wonder if someone “wipes all”, what the process is for adding the previously-active line back to the eSIM? Can the original QR/activation code be used again or are they single-use codes and a new one will have to be obtained from the carrier? All things we’ll learn as we learn more about the eSIM, no doubt.

Bobhill

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
I guess I wouldn't. I do want work people to be able to contact me on my work phone number, not my personal X/eSIM number. And by contact me I mean texts and calls. That's the part I don't know if it's possible or not.

I don't care if texts sent to my work phone number aren't iMessage (I want to use my personal number/from my X for iMessage) and they won't either. That's where the forwarding thought came in.
Couldn’t you just put your work SIM card in the phone and do dual sim?

Soledreamz

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
You can port your personal line to e-sim on the xs like I did and put your work number SIM card in the phone. When you do initial setup like I did you can use personal number for iMessage and FaceTime and run your sim card business line for the unlimited data. When setting up you get three different configuration choices

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
So, If I understand what is being discussed:

People are going to ATT to have they physical SIM deactivated and their service moved to the eSIM.

Then they are free to insert a physical SIM from another carrier as needed. This will avoid that carrier having to support eSim.

Correct?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
68F26753-C483-43CD-95F8-9D0FAB60DE25.jpeg What does CSN stand for? Under digital SIM, if you click on the ICCID, it shows "CSN" and the number seems the be the same as the EID.
I also remember seeing the CSN on the e Apple SIM of the iPad Pro.

njcyx6649250

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
View attachment 798699 What does CSN stand for? Under digital SIM, if you click on the ICCID, it shows "CSN" and the number seems the be the same as the EID.
I also remember seeing the CSN on the e Apple SIM of the iPad Pro.

That is strange. My phone doesn't have CSN.

Attachments

• BBCDFCE3-231E-47E2-86C3-65E1036C6ACE.jpeg
    BBCDFCE3-231E-47E2-86C3-65E1036C6ACE.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

KamiQuazi

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
I wouldn’t see the qr on a plastic card being the mainstream way of doing this. I would think there would be a shift towards the carrier website would be able to make a qr code and you scan a computer screen.

Attachments

• EA5034D5-E67A-462F-8B0B-C18F15B54B7C.png
    EA5034D5-E67A-462F-8B0B-C18F15B54B7C.png
    301.8 KB · Views: 341

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
I wouldn’t see the qr on a plastic card being the mainstream way of doing this. I would think there would be a shift towards the carrier website would be able to make a qr code and you scan a computer screen.

Vodafone DE does that. It's all on their website.
Also Apple's own website does mention that you can either use a QR Code, input the info manually, or use a carrier app that programs the information automatically.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
So as a VZW customer.. if they kick this off after 12.1 is public.. since they are my primary, I can request an eSim from them. Then when I go to the UK, I can either sign up with Vodafone or EE for a SIM. (Maybe GoogleFI?)

My main need when in in UK is data.

I think the big question for most here is how iMessage and FaceTime (Audio/video) will function. Communication back to my office is via Slack, but a fair bit of data use on iMessage and SMS.

Will iMessage still function?

Bobhill

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
You won’t even have to do that. You’ll be able to do it on carrier app once it’s released officially.
[doublepost=1540664407][/doublepost]
So as a VZW customer.. if they kick this off after 12.1 is public.. since they are my primary, I can request an eSim from them. Then when I go to the UK, I can either sign up with Vodafone or EE for a SIM. (Maybe GoogleFI?)

My main need when in in UK is data.

I think the big question for most here is how iMessage and FaceTime (Audio/video) will function. Communication back to my office is via Slack, but a fair bit of data use on iMessage and SMS.

Will iMessage still function?
You can only use iMessage on one line but you can choose the line.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Finally found a store that had them, they wouldn't activate it, but gave me the card and I went home and activated it.

KamiQuazi

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
Just in case anyone wanted to know. I attempted to rollback to 12.0.1 and thought I would lose esim. I didn’t and both work. Still no visual voicemail for each.

Attachments

• FAD59421-7D69-4AC9-940D-2E6B125681E2.jpeg
    FAD59421-7D69-4AC9-940D-2E6B125681E2.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 372

njcyx6649250

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
I can call Verizon voicemail and nothing changed. AT&T I can no longer check via calling in or VV.

I just got a similar issue. I inserted my project fi data card to it, and my att visual voicemail died. I tried reset network settings. No work. Then I tried to call my number for voicemail. It worked. Then correct visual voicemail shown up.

If you like, you can remove esim and also remove standard sim, then add esim again. After that, don't insert your vzw sim. Try visual voicemail to see if it works. If not work, try to call your att number, see if it connects to your voicemail or not. If works, insert your vzw sim.

KamiQuazi

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
I just got a similar issue. I inserted my project fi data card to it, and my att visual voicemail died. I tried reset network settings. No work. Then I tried to call my number for voicemail. It worked. Then correct visual voicemail shown up.

If you like, you can remove esim and also remove standard sim, then add esim again. After that, don't insert your vzw sim. Try visual voicemail to see if it works. If not work, try to call your att number, see if it connects to your voicemail or not. If works, insert your vzw sim.
When I call my own number I can’t access my voicemail on AT&T. My phone number I guess is not my voicemail box number?

Bobhill

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
When I call my own number I can’t access my voicemail on AT&T. My phone number I guess is not my voicemail box number?
Are you calling your voicemail with the correct number? Like if you want to access AT&T, you have to call it from that number.

njcyx6649250

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016

Well, at least when I called my number, it will connect to my voicemail. Att said I can press and hold "1" to get access voicemail, but my phone shows "voicemail call failed".

You can see the troubleshootinh steps below. Have you turned on call forwarding? If not work, you may need to call att to reset your voicemail profile.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1008597

Ok, now I fixed my #1 issue. There is no voicemail mapping on my pin 1 somehow (by code *#5005*86#). Then I asked att online chat for my voicemail box number, and assign it to my pin 1 (by code *5005*86*xxxxxxxxxx#). Then holding #1 gets me to my voicemail.

Anyway it is not a useful function, because I only use visual voicemail....lol...

Last edited:

mdesantis

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2018
I just got a similar issue. I inserted my project fi data card to it, and my att visual voicemail died.

I also use Project Fi - currently in another iPhone now but it will be my second line in a dual sim config soon.

I 100% agree with your earlier comments about Fi being an awesome roaming tool (and ensuring continuous service in the US too) but as you likely know, it’s got some manageable quirks on iPhone. (No VVM, no MMS even with T-Mobile settings, needing an Android phone to activate - and no network switching, which is fine because T-Mobile is the network I want)

Did this VVM issue occur after using a Fi voice + data or data only SIM?

njcyx6649250

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
I also use Project Fi - currently in another iPhone now but it will be my second line in a dual sim config soon.

I 100% agree with your earlier comments about Fi being an awesome roaming tool (and ensuring continuous service in the US too) but as you likely know, it’s got some manageable quirks on iPhone. (No VVM, no MMS even with T-Mobile settings, needing an Android phone to activate - and no network switching, which is fine because T-Mobile is the network I want)

Did this VVM issue occur after using a Fi voice + data or data only SIM?

I only uses data only sim, sorry.

Project fi voice doesn't support iPhone, so there will be some issues. You can somehow forward its voicemail to google voice, then use google voice as its voicemail.

KamiQuazi

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
Well, at least when I called my number, it will connect to my voicemail. Att said I can press and hold "1" to get access voicemail, but my phone shows "voicemail call failed".

You can see the troubleshootinh steps below. Have you turned on call forwarding? If not work, you may need to call att to reset your voicemail profile.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1008597

Ok, now I fixed my #1 issue. There is no voicemail mapping on my pin 1 somehow (by code *#5005*86#). Then I asked att online chat for my voicemail box number, and assign it to my pin 1 (by code *5005*86*xxxxxxxxxx#). Then holding #1 gets me to my voicemail.

Anyway it is not a useful function, because I only use visual voicemail....lol...
Was your voicemail box number the same as your telephone number?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.