Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
My latest order from North Star arrived today..

IMG_6522_zpsd69c5331.jpg

Opened the Christmas blend straight away and it tastes lovely. Is it wrong to say that I've tasted Jesus in my mouth??:eek:

IMG_6523_zps4e56003e.jpg

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Well as I've mentioned before, I don't seem to have a great ability in detecting all the subtle flavours described in the descriptions of coffee beens. I find I either like it, or I don't :)

The first shot I pulled I gave to the wife as a flat white, mostly due to the fact that there was a chance I hadn't managed to fully clean all traces of the previous coffee from the grinder. I guessed the first grind would eradicate any left over coffee, so I thoughtfully gave the first cup to the wife. Im good to her like that :D

But we both loved the taste, and I'm looking forward to my next cup:)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Well as I've mentioned before, I don't seem to have a great ability in detecting all the subtle flavours described in the descriptions of coffee beens. I find I either like it, or I don't :)

I'm not too good at describing that stuff either and boil it down to the way you do too - like it or don't like it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well I'm traveling away from my coffee equipment, but at least I had the wherewithal to bring along a bag of SM's roasted coffee. :D

It always pays to think ahead. :D

Especially where coffee is concerned…….

Whenever I am travelling to some of the strange places I trace to, the ones that fall under the general heading of 'abroad', my suitcase is also home to a plastic filter cone (unbreakable), a number of sealed packets or tins of coffee, (the high standards the denizens of this thread may well be used to may have to undergo serious modification when 'abroad'), and several packets of Melitta filter papers.

Then, all I need is a kettle (which is the sort of piece of equipment that one will find everywhere) and one can enjoy the experience of very good coffee almost anywhere….

In the Marines we have a saying: "Piss poor planning leads to piss poor performance." That has stuck with me and I plan for just about everything I do and it has worked well for me.

Wise words, my friend, wise words…..

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Especially where coffee is concerned…….

Whenever I am travelling to some of the strange places I trace to, the ones that fall under the general heading of 'abroad', my suitcase is also home to a plastic filter cone (unbreakable), a number of sealed packets or tins of coffee, (the high standards the denizens of this thread may well be used to may have to undergo serious modification when 'abroad'), and several packets of Melitta filter papers.

Then, all I need is a kettle (which is the sort of piece of equipment that one will find everywhere) and one can enjoy the experience of very good coffee almost anywhere….

Wise words, my friend, wise words…..

So what do you usually pack in the way of coffee related items when you travel, either for long periods of time or short?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Even in the movie The Hunt For Red October, there is a crude line that goes, "Russians don't take a dump, son, without a plan." LOL :p

Leaving aside the proverbial and justly famous 'Five Year Plans' from Communist Times, of course…...

So what do you usually pack in the way of coffee related items when you travel, either for long periods of time or short?

As mentioned above, I will always pack a small, unbreakable plastic filter cone - like the Hario, but made of plastic, along with filter papers, (the Melitta brand is usually fairly widely available in department stores - for my own use, while at home, I will use organic, unbleached, etc. etc. filter paper but abroad, one must relax standards somewhat).

Then, I will add some (sealed) packets of pre-ground coffees (usually, whatever takes my fancy from a relatively large supply from Intelligentsia, but Lavazza will do or Illy). Then, all I need is a kettle.

My last posting, I ordered a Bialetti French press; one of my colleagues inherited it. However, between my French press, and plastic filter cone - for coffees which I made personally (and they were of an impressively high standard), and 'the boys' in the coffee shop who made me espresso, I wasn't lacking for coffee.

One or two of my Italian colleagues had Bialettis (moka pots) with which they would make coffee on a hotplate.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Leaving aside the proverbial and justly famous 'Five Year Plans' from Communist Times, of course…...

As mentioned above, I will always pack a small, unbreakable plastic filter cone - like the Hario, but made of plastic, along with filter papers, (the Melitta brand is usually fairly widely available in department stores - for my own use, while at home, I will use organic, unbleached, etc. etc. filter paper but abroad, one must relax standards somewhat).

Then, I will add some (sealed) packets of pre-ground coffees (usually, whatever takes my fancy from a relatively large supply from Intelligentsia, but Lavazza will do or Illy). Then, all I need is a kettle.

My last posting, I ordered a Bialetti French press; one of my colleagues inherited it. However, between my French press, and plastic filter cone - for coffees which I made personally (and they were of an impressively high standard), and 'the boys' in the coffee shop who made me espresso, I wasn't lacking for coffee.

One or two of my Italian colleagues had Bialettis (moka pots) with which they would make coffee on a hotplate.

Sounds like a simple, yet effective setup for traveling. Finding a kettle and heat, even in the most remote parts of the world shouldn't be too hard to some by, I would imagine.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sounds like a simple, yet effective setup for traveling. Finding a kettle and heat, even in the most remote parts of the world shouldn't be too hard to some by, I would imagine.

That is the very point.

Kettles can almost always be acquired, anywhere in the world - whereas the other components to being able to make a basic (yet reliable, consistent, and reassuringly good) coffee need to be transported in a suitcase…..

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
That is the very point.

Kettles can almost always be acquired, anywhere in the world - whereas the other components to being able to make a basic (yet reliable, consistent, and reassuringly good) coffee need to be transported in a suitcase…..

The discussion of kettles compelled me to haul out the Chemex.

15999318966_82b465d2b8_z.jpg

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Just ordered a bunch of coffee from https://www.freshroastedcoffee.com/. Heard of them before, figured I'd give them a try. Ordered three 12oz bags of their Dark Nebula, a 12oz bag of Blackbeards Revenge, and a 12oz bag of their Mocha Java. I normally don't order from places selling in 12oz bags as majority of the time even with shipping their somehow more expensive then same/similar offerings from others with 1lb bags, but this place had really cheap pricing and free shipping over $35.

We shall see!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just ordered a bunch of coffee from https://www.freshroastedcoffee.com/. Heard of them before, figured I'd give them a try. Ordered three 12oz bags of their Dark Nebula, a 12oz bag of Blackbeards Revenge, and a 12oz bag of their Mocha Java. I normally don't order from places selling in 12oz bags as majority of the time even with shipping their somehow more expensive then same/similar offerings from others with 1lb bags, but this place had really cheap pricing and free shipping over $35.

We shall see!

Enjoy (drinking and preparing) your coffees when your order arrives.

What are the coffees (or coffee beans) that make up each of those irresistibly named coffees that you ordered?

Personally, I'd find something called 'Blackbeard's Revenge' utterly irresistible, and - as a visually challenged occasional and aspirational astronomer in a country where it is cloudy and wet most nights, I must say that 'Dark Nebula' sounds intriguing, too.

By contrast, 'Mocha Java' sounds almost mundane……..though I would still be interested in learning the composition of the blend.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Enjoy (drinking and preparing) your coffees when your order arrives.

What are the coffees (or coffee beans) that make up each of those irresistibly named coffees that you ordered?

Personally, I'd find something called 'Blackbeard's Revenge' utterly irresistible, and - as a visually challenged occasional and aspirational astronomer in a country where it is cloudy and wet most nights, I must say that 'Dark Nebula' sounds intriguing, too.

By contrast, 'Mocha Java' sounds almost mundane……..though I would still be interested in learning the composition of the blend.
I was actually trying to figure that out but don't think they list their blends, I could pry contact them but figured ehhh oh well lets see how it is lol. Mocha Java is almost always some type of blend of African and Indonesia beans, generally Ethiopian and Sumatra/Yeman.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.