Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Two finger is better than a literal euphemism for a sausage, I suppose. Forgiven... Reminds me of the time, and by time I mean this morning, I made coffee for the missus and accidentally put in buttermilk and not cream.

Need sleep.

And, what the subsequent discussion failed to elaborate on was the important matter of forgiveness.

What was her reaction?

Mine would have been......somewhat......unforgiving.

Not everyone likes salty lassi. ;)

Actually, I do.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, this morning, the espresso machine seemed to have recovered from its ordeal as a result of the electricity power cut two nights ago. By recovered, I mean it was in a position to supply us with espresso coffee this morning.

And, following that, a staff meeting in my colleague's room was accompanied by a pot (French Press, bought last week) of freshly made Ethiopian coffee.

Cups had been thoughtfully heated, - as - and, do, please, note this salient detail - as was the French Press, (by my colleague) by the time I made my entrance. That was the cue for me to bestir myself, and, thus, I busied myself with the preparation of the Ethiopian coffee, made less strong than was yesterday's coffee (which, after all, had two tasks to fulfil, namely, to awaken us and to enable us).

Our staff watched, bemused. They don't like coffee.

As expected, (well, it was made by my fair hand, after all) the coffee was most agreeable.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Ordered some House and Summer Solstice from Intelligentsia early yesterday/this evening before passing out on the couch. I've seen SBG promote the brand so much I figured it had to be good. I could have bought them from WF, but ordering would mean a fresher roast.

No pain today! I had some lovely chamomile earlier, which is what likely caused me to pass out. I had three cups before finding myself going in and out of consciousness.

And, what the subsequent discussion failed to elaborate on was the important matter of forgiveness.
It was poured out once I realized what carton I was holding. I've done flavored kefir on accident into cereal. I tried it before throwing it out and found it to be quite nice. Tang, sweetness and much healthier than whole milk.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ordered some House and Summer Solstice from Intelligentsia early yesterday/this evening before passing out on the couch. I've seen SBG promote the brand so much I figured it had to be good. I could have bought them from WF, but ordering would mean a fresher roast.

No pain today! I had some lovely chamomile earlier, which is what likely caused me to pass out. I had three cups before finding myself going in and out of consciousness.

It was poured out once I realized what carton I was holding. I've done flavored kefir on accident into cereal. I tried it before throwing it out and found it to be quite nice. Tang, sweetness and much healthier than whole milk.

Actually, some of the coffee offered by Intelligentsia is excellent, and, for around two years, I ordered quite a lot from them; my only gripe is the cost of transporting the stuff to the British Isles means that, in order to make the order ever so slightly good value, you tend to order more coffee than you need for the immediate future.

My concern with your wife and the buttermilk-in-coffee episode is that most people (that is, adults, especially women) so rarely get a treat of any sort brought to them in bed, that making a hash of it serves to frustrate the exercise.

But full marks for a kind and caring thought.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I'm not sure what that is, but to be honest if you like it it doesn't matter much what we think.

The idea is to make coffee a sort of "energy drink" by putting a slab of butter (from grass-fed cows, such as the amazing Kerrygold irish butter) in the coffee itself. I had it a few times, it's not as bad as it sounds, but it's not great either.

Presently, I am preparing some french pressed coffee, using kenyan beans. I am employing the methods you suggested, which is to pre-heat both the pot and the cup. I am also using bottled spring water instead of regular tap water (I was wondering about using distilled water, which I use with my espresso machine).

Reactions: JamesMike

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
The idea is to make coffee a sort of "energy drink" by putting a slab of butter (from grass-fed cows, such as the amazing Kerrygold irish butter) in the coffee itself. I had it a few times, it's not as bad as it sounds, but it's not great either.

Presently, I am preparing some french pressed coffee, using kenyan beans. I am employing the methods you suggested, which is to pre-heat both the pot and the cup. I am also using bottled spring water instead of regular tap water (I was wondering about using distilled water, which I use with my espresso machine).

Oh, hmm, curious. Yeah it certainly sounds strange! I'd be open to tasting it, anyway.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Oh, hmm, curious. Yeah it certainly sounds strange!

...and repellant. But, if you like it...what the hell do I know.:confused:

I just finished my second morning cup...isn't coffee just ambrosia!

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
If you have some good butter available, I would give it a try. I have to admit that I felt much more energized through the morning, but I can't prove that it wasn't a consequence of placebo effect.
Maybe with a richer nuttier coffee? I typically roast Ethiopian beans which I'm not sure Have the right flavor profile.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So what is the verdict on Bulletproof coffee?

To be honest, as I didn't know what it was (and thank you, @mobilehaathi, for securing an explanation), I had no observation to make.

Actually, I merely thought it some strange American brand that I hadn't heard of.

I'm not sure what that is, but to be honest if you like it it doesn't matter much what we think.

Agreed.

Ah.

No, I have never come across this, but would be open to trying it; I am rather partial to dairy products, anyway.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
No, I have never come across this, but would be open to trying it; I am rather partial to dairy products, anyway.

This is the "original recipe":
Asprey's recipe calls for brewing coffee with "upgraded" beans which Aspry claims are low in mycotoxins. To this 1–2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter (or ghee) and 1–2 tablespoons of "Brain Octane" oil (a mostly 8-carbon octanoic acid fraction of MCT oil) are added.[14] The drink is then blended for 20–30 seconds until frothy.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Maybe with a richer nuttier coffee? I typically roast Ethiopian beans which I'm not sure Have the right flavor profile.

From one man's perspective, no coffee has the right flavor profile for butter.o_O

And why that would act as an energizer, beyond the effects of caffeine, is a mystery to me. I suppose some chemical reaction with the butter could boost the caffeine effect...but I can't imagine what it might be.

However, whatever floats your boat.:D

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
From one man's perspective, no coffee has the right flavor profile for butter.o_O

And why that would act as an energizer, beyond the effects of caffeine, is a mystery to me. I suppose some chemical reaction with the butter could boost the caffeine effect...but I can't imagine what it might be.

However, whatever floats your boat.:D

Well technically speaking more calories translates to more energy, but again I can't scientifically claim that it works. It felt like it did, but I bet that it was 90% placebo and 10% the increase in calories.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This is the "original recipe":
Asprey's recipe calls for brewing coffee with "upgraded" beans which Aspry claims are low in mycotoxins. To this 1–2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter (or ghee) and 1–2 tablespoons of "Brain Octane" oil (a mostly 8-carbon octanoic acid fraction of MCT oil) are added.[14] The drink is then blended for 20–30 seconds until frothy.

Blended?

Not simply stirred?

And, er, um, what on Earth is MCT oil? Anything like cod liver oil? Another thing I have never heard of.

While I'll happily contemplate versions of dairy products in my coffee, - for example, I am rather partial to whole fat milk, or, preferably, double cream on occasion, - let's keep any supposedly healthy oils out of the equation.

If I have to take some, I'll take them neat, rather than mixed with something such as coffee.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Well technically speaking more calories translates to more energy, but again I can't scientifically claim that it works. It felt like it did, but I bet that it was 90% placebo and 10% the increase in calories.

Agree that some calories convert to energy. As calories are a measure of energy, but not the source of the energy, not all calories are the same.

These calories are from fat, while calories from carbohydrates and sugars convert more readily to immediate energy.

I think, maybe...o_O

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Well, thanks for the kind suggestions, but I really don't want anything remotely healthy in my coffee.

If I need energy, extra energy, more coffee (i.e. stronger coffee) and more sugar (an extra lump, or, cube, of preferably brown sugar) should more than suffice.

Tweaking and tinkering of the kind described above would not, er, 'float my boat', to be honest.

Coffee is coffee, a pleasure.

Healthy stuff usually comes under the heading of satisfying my Inner Puritan (usually reasonably and satisfyingly silent these days, although a constant companion when I was a teenager), or in reluctant response - sometimes, a belated, reluctant response - to a medical professional's recommendations, or a sibling's suggestions.

Agree that some calories convert to energy. As calories are a measure of energy, but not the source of the energy, not all calories are the same.

These calories are from fat, while calories from carbohydrates and sugars convert more readily to immediate energy.

I think, maybe...o_O

I think this is a very diplomatic post, @Shrink. Impressive.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hmm, more 'energizing' or not, I'm not above experimenting. ;)

Let me know how it works out.

Now, on the topic of butter in beverages, I'll readily confess that the Butterbeer consumed by Harry Potter and his friends in the pubs of Hogsmeade, The Hog's Head, and The Three Broomsticks, has long intrigued me. That is a beverage I would happily sip, and savour.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Now, on the topic of butter in beverages, I'll readily confess that the Butterbeer consumed by Harry Potter and his friends in the pubs of Hogsmeade, The Hog's Head, and The Three Broomsticks, has long intrigued me. That is a beverage I would happily sip, and savour.

I have to admit that I was similarly intrigued!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

I have to admit that I was similarly intrigued!

I, too, must admit to being repelled by the idea of putting butter into anything that I drink.

And, yes, that includes hot buttered rum.

May I say, as politely and in as deferential manner as possible...YECH!

But that's just one man's opinion.;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I, too, must admit to being repelled by the idea of putting butter into anything that I drink.

And, yes, that includes hot buttered rum.

May I say, as politely and in as deferential manner as possible...YECH!

But that's just one man's opinion.;)

Hot, buttered rum, I'll greet with intrigued curiosity. And possibly end up downing the contents of the glass, if it met with my - perhaps greedy - approval.

However, as for coffee, I fear I must decline.

Butter, well, if, maybe. Healthy oils, um, sorry, but never. Not in coffee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.